update on Firefox with NVDA

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

Hi all,
I'm not sure how much this will help track down and squash the bug
that's causing computers to bog down when NVDA and Firefox are used
together, but I found something this morning that could provide a
clue. My machine was being particularly unruly this morning, so I
attempted to restart NVDA. Usually, this works flawlessly, but not
this time. When I tried to restart, NVDA didn't restart, instead hung
around for a few minutes then crashed. I was only made aware of this
by firing up Narrator and discovering that I had been closing Firefox
windows all along.
Bob

Luke Davis

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:

around for a few minutes then crashed. I was only made aware of this
by firing up Narrator and discovering that I had been closing Firefox
windows all along.
Can you explain that more? To my knowledge, the key sequence to close NVDA, is quite dissimilar to the one for closing Firefox windows.
I find your lack of specificity disturbing. :)

Luke

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

Perhaps I should have explained better. My method was as follows:
Control+Alt+N to restart NVDA.
When that didn't work, I switched windows a few times, then in an
attempt to get things to work as expected, started closing Firefox
windows. It was around this time I thought my computer had frozen
which it has had a tendency to do lately, but before I decided to hard
reboot, I fired up Narrator and discovered that pressing Alt+F4 had in
fact been closing windows as expected, but NVDA must have crashed as
it quit speaking.

On 4/8/21, Luke Davis <luke@newanswertech.com> wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:

around for a few minutes then crashed. I was only made aware of this
by firing up Narrator and discovering that I had been closing Firefox
windows all along.
Can you explain that more? To my knowledge, the key sequence to close NVDA,
is
quite dissimilar to the one for closing Firefox windows.
I find your lack of specificity disturbing. :)

Luke

Maria S

I would like to make the observation that whenever Firefox crashes or
NVDA starts acting sluggishly, restarting NVDA immediately calms the
situation down. I was having to restart my computer every day, and now
I can go back to doing it once or twice a week. You have to do it
quickly though, because if you wait too long after the crash the
computer grinds to a screeching halt.

Just some experiences, Maria

On 4/8/21, Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Sharni-Lee Ward

So it's true that the latest update makes Firefox nigh unusable?

I really do hope you all fix this issue, as Firefox is my main browser and I am holding off on updating NVDA until this ceases to be a problem.

On 9/04/2021 9:36 am, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Hi all,
I'm not sure how much this will help track down and squash the bug
that's causing computers to bog down when NVDA and Firefox are used
together, but I found something this morning that could provide a
clue. My machine was being particularly unruly this morning, so I
attempted to restart NVDA. Usually, this works flawlessly, but not
this time. When I tried to restart, NVDA didn't restart, instead hung
around for a few minutes then crashed. I was only made aware of this
by firing up Narrator and discovering that I had been closing Firefox
windows all along.
Bob

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

It's been my experience that it's not the latest version, this has
been happening for quite some time, at least since I've had Firefox.
The original thread about this from a couple weeks ago seemed to
suggest that the circumstances varied, but in my case, I'm okay if I
keep just one or two windows open at a time, but if I open several, I
start having problems. This has been an issue since before I started
using Firefox as a primary browser in December.

On 4/9/21, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Chris Smart

I'm not experiencing this at all. In fact, I can't remember the last time NVDA crashed on me. Another screenreader crashes on me regularly but not NVDA.

Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

So it's true that the latest update makes Firefox nigh unusable?
No.

It's true that some people, on some systems, looking at some websites, have runaway CPU and/or memory usage with Firefox some of the time.

If you're not having this already, you probably aren't going to have it after updating either Firefox or NVDA.

I, who have had this issue at multiple times, on multiple computers, haven't had it in the last few versions of either NVDA or Firefox. I also suspect I haven't used any of the sites which cause it lately.

So I don't think there is any cause to fear this issue striking you, if it hasn't already.

Luke