Updating NVDA

Howard Traxler

Good morning all,

Trying to update my NVDA onto my new Win 11 machine; from 22.1 to 22.2.  Something dreadful happened that now did not allow me to get into the NVDA setup menus past the second level.  I got to preferences, settings and to the multi-page box.  Tried to tab into any of the choices (general, speech, Braille, vision, etc.) the menu crashed and went back out to the main screen.  Going to tools, manage addons, it would not show any of my addons.  So I downloaded 22.2 and tried an install that did the same thing.  So I thought the thing to do was to remove NVDA and start over. That's quite a job; but I think I did get it done, between the uninstall app that's in the NVDA folder and the windows add/remove programs app.  Now NVDA won't install; it gets so far and crashes.  So I'm forced to use a portable earlier version of NVDA running from a thumb drive.

Anyone know of a fix for this?  It's become quite a stumbling block.  The machine was starting to look just the way I wanted it.

Thanks.

Howard

Fetch a fresh copy of the 2022.2 installer from the NVAccess download page, uninstall your current 2022.X, and reinstall.  At least try that first.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

Should the settings be manually removed that the uninstall won't remove?

Gene

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 09:36 AM, Gene wrote:
Should the settings be manually removed that the uninstall won't remove?
-
Not initially.

         ~ Vance Packard

Howard Traxler

I have removed old version of NVDA in two ways; don't remember which order:  1. Using the executable that's in the NVDA folder, and 2. Using the windows add/remove.  As far as I can tall, it's gone; unless there's stuff left in the registry or in some other folders.  I do have a copy of 22.2 that I downloaded yesterday.  I'll give it another try.

<HT>

On 8/5/2022 8:39 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 09:36 AM, Gene wrote:
Should the settings be manually removed that the uninstall won't remove?
-
Not initially.

         ~ Vance Packard

Howard Traxler

There; tried it again.  Looked like it was gonna work; Ended with two error sounds and spoke "secure desktop" twice and insttallation failed; then dropped out to listing my downloads folder.  Could it be that I have a corrupted download of NVDA?

<HT>

On 8/5/2022 8:39 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 09:36 AM, Gene wrote:
Should the settings be manually removed that the uninstall won't remove?
-
Not initially.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

At times, a download may be corrupted.  If you tried again, it is very unlikely that the second download will be.

You may recall that when you reported all sorts of problems trying to use Thunderbird Portable, I said there might be something wrong with your system.  This next unexpected problem makes me continue to wonder that.  There may be something wrong with your system that is corrupting information on the hard drive, perhaps a memory problem, perhaps something else.

If the computer is still within the exchange period, I would seriously consider exchanging it.  You shouldn't be having these sorts of unusual and unexpected problems.

Gene

On 8/5/2022 8:57 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:

There; tried it again.  Looked like it was gonna work; Ended with two error sounds and spoke "secure desktop" twice and insttallation failed; then dropped out to listing my downloads folder.  Could it be that I have a corrupted download of NVDA?

<HT>

On 8/5/2022 8:39 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 09:36 AM, Gene wrote:
Should the settings be manually removed that the uninstall won't remove?
-
Not initially.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

Also, have you had other unusual and unexpected problems you haven't discussed such as having to reinstall something that stopped working correctly for no known reason or had data disappear or become corrupted?

Gene

On 8/5/2022 9:06 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I agree with Gene that if you have been having "peculiar errors" with this machine, and it is new and within the return/exchange period, that's precisely what I would do.  If it's beyond the return window, and still within warranty, I would not send it in until you have tried the following, and either one or both have not fixed the issue, I'd send it for warranty service.

Whenever any inexplicable issue presents itself in Windows “out of the blue” and with seemingly no reason, these are the two things I try first, in order:

1. Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8.1, 10 & 11

2. Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file

If #1 fixes the issue, #2 is unnecessary.

         ~ Vance Packard

Sarah k Alawami

Try removing the nvda folder from %appdata% this stores everything including add ons. I had to do this as I went from portable to a real copy and all of me add ons were corrupted for what ever reason. I think I had a bad back up and didn’t know. It sucked, but the fix worked.