Topics

Urgent help needed NVDA was not able to loa Microsoft SAPI 5

Hi,

Very annoying to me.

Today I wake up to find that my NVDA suddenly doesn't speak English.

If I try to set Microsoft SAPI 5 as the speach engine, NVDA display error message that the speech synth was not able to load.

The problem also exist if I try to load RH voice.

For details, I have included in the log file here.

I am very very upset now. Could any one offer me a fix for it. Many thanks.

William

hi,
did you save your nvda settings before the time that the language of
nvda is changed?
if yes, just press nvda+control+r
to reset nvda to the previous settings.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Weird.

Looks like a corrupted windows install.

Reinstall windows, run malware scans etc.

Updating sound drivers maybe to.

Of course it happened suddenly, that would suggest some sort of hardware issue.

I had all sorts of issues with a business server because of a dead wireless adaptor.

On 7/11/2019 6:56 pm, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
Hi,

Very annoying to me.

Today I wake up to find that my NVDA suddenly doesn't speak English.

If I try to set Microsoft SAPI 5 as the speach engine, NVDA display error message that the speech synth was not able to load.

The problem also exist if I try to load RH voice.

For details, I have included in the log file here.

I am very very upset now. Could any one offer me a fix for it. Many thanks.

William

Quentin Christensen

I wouldn't immediately jump to reinstalling Windows just yet.

Can you use eSpeak NG?  Also can you give us the exact error you get when you try to load a SAPI 5 synthesizer?  Have you installed, updated or uninstalled anything recently?

The log didn't make it through - they can't be sent to the list, but you can send it to me offlist at info@... if you like.

If it's a language issue, if you open NVDA's general settings (assuming you can still use any of NVDA?) can you set the language to English instead of default?  And if that works, it might be worth checking what your Windows language is set to just in case that has changed.

Regards

Quentin

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 4:56 PM Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <cwwong.pro@...> wrote:
Hi,

Very annoying to me.

Today I wake up to find that my NVDA suddenly doesn't speak English.

If I try to set Microsoft SAPI 5 as the speach engine, NVDA display
error message that the speech synth was not able to load.

The problem also exist if I try to load RH voice.

For details, I have included in the log file here.

I am very very upset now. Could any one offer me a fix for it. Many thanks.

William

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

Instead of suggesting the most complex and dire explanation and solution as the thing to do, how about trying a system restore if a point is available before the problem began.  Others may have other solutions and it might be a good idea to wait before trying anything but that is one thing to try.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 1:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Urgent help needed NVDA was not able to loa Microsoft SAPI 5

Weird.

Looks like a corrupted windows install.

Reinstall windows, run malware scans etc.

Updating sound drivers maybe to.

Of course it happened suddenly, that would suggest some sort of hardware
issue.

I had all sorts of issues with a business server because of a dead
wireless adaptor.

On 7/11/2019 6:56 pm, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Very annoying to me.
>
> Today I wake up to find that my NVDA suddenly doesn't speak English.
>

> If I try to set Microsoft SAPI 5 as the speach engine, NVDA display
> error message that the speech synth was not able to load.
>
> The problem also exist if I try to load RH voice.
>
> For details, I have included in the log file here.
>
> I am very very upset now. Could any one offer me a fix for it. Many
> thanks.
>
> William

ADRIAN POCOCK

It seems to me there is a bit of a knee jerk response to this.

If changing register should not be done why does nvda have a com register tool itself.

If you are going to use any software to clean register first manually back up your own registry

You can then restore it if all goes wrong.

I would first create a new user account with admin ability and test nvda in this situation, possible corrupted user profile.

If things are still not right try the nvda tools com reg tool.

I hope this mght help.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 1:15 AM

Weird.

Looks like a corrupted windows install.

Reinstall windows, run malware scans etc.

Updating sound drivers maybe to.

Of course it happened suddenly, that would suggest some sort of hardware
issue.

I had all sorts of issues with a business server because of a dead
wireless adaptor.

On 7/11/2019 6:56 pm, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Very annoying to me.
>
> Today I wake up to find that my NVDA suddenly doesn't speak English.
>

> If I try to set Microsoft SAPI 5 as the speach engine, NVDA display
> error message that the speech synth was not able to load.
>
> The problem also exist if I try to load RH voice.
>
> For details, I have included in the log file here.
>
> I am very very upset now. Could any one offer me a fix for it. Many
> thanks.
>
> William

Gene

There is no relation between a registry cleaner and the NVDA utility.  Its purpose is very specific.  At times, doing something like uninstalling Microsoft office unregisters some entries that shouldn't be unregistered.  That makes NVDA unable to do a number of things that are necessary, such as work properly with many browsers.  All the registry tool does is reregister entries that are already in the registry that the uninstallation improperly unregistered.  It doesn't clean or remove anything.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 1:15 AM

Weird.

Looks like a corrupted windows install.

Reinstall windows, run malware scans etc.

Updating sound drivers maybe to.

Of course it happened suddenly, that would suggest some sort of hardware
issue.

I had all sorts of issues with a business server because of a dead
wireless adaptor.

On 7/11/2019 6:56 pm, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Very annoying to me.
>
> Today I wake up to find that my NVDA suddenly doesn't speak English.
>

> If I try to set Microsoft SAPI 5 as the speach engine, NVDA display
> error message that the speech synth was not able to load.
>
> The problem also exist if I try to load RH voice.
>
> For details, I have included in the log file here.
>
> I am very very upset now. Could any one offer me a fix for it. Many
> thanks.
>
> William

Well, it is strange that everything work as usual before I turn off my PC last night.

But the problem happen immediately after I turn on my Windows this morning.

zahra 於 7/11/2019 14:22 寫道:

hi,
did you save your nvda settings before the time that the language of
nvda is changed?
if yes, just press nvda+control+r
to reset nvda to the previous settings.

On 11/7/19, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <@WilliamWai> wrote:
Hi,

Very annoying to me.

Today I wake up to find that my NVDA suddenly doesn't speak English.

If I try to set Microsoft SAPI 5 as the speach engine, NVDA display
error message that the speech synth was not able to load.

The problem also exist if I try to load RH voice.

For details, I have included in the log file here.

I am very very upset now. Could any one offer me a fix for it. Many thanks.

William

Hi,
The error message is
Synthesizer error
Could not load the sapi5 synthesizer.

I have tried:
1. restore NVDA default setting
2. reinstall some SAPI 5tts

And they failed.

Quentin Christensen 於 7/11/2019 15:27 寫道:

[...]

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the actual synthesizer program, as well as making sure files that may be left after the uninstallation are removed before reinstalling?  Also, I recall, many years ago, seeing something about a way to repair SAPI 5.  Perhaps others may know more.  I think it was a utility but I don't recall much of anything except that that may be the case.

Also, you can contact the place where you got the synthesizer and ask about the problem as well as how to repair SAPI 5.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 5:08 AM

[...]

But the SAPI 5 that I cannot load is the Microsoft SAPI5.

How could I deal with that?

Contact Microsoft?

Gene 於 8/11/2019 1:53 寫道:

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 5:08 AM

[...]

SAPI is a Microsoft API for communicating with synthesizers that use it.  So contacting Microsoft might get you the solution.  I was hoping someone might have known about the repair utility, but so far, there hasn't been any information.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 5:08 AM

[...]

Also, the company from which you bought the prodduct might well be able to help with the problem.

I did a Google search for something like repair SAPI5 and I found results discussing how to do so.  If you have questions about the safety or reliability of information or recommended utilities on various sites, you might want to ask before trying something.  it is a good idea to be careful if a site offfers something for download to solve a problem and not to download and run it unless you are confident the site is safe and the program or utility is not malicious.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 5:08 AM

[...]

If you have another SAPI 5 voice installed, NVDA might try to load that first.  If there is a problem with that (eg if it's a SAPI 5 that's locked to another program) then it could cause problems.  From your log, it looks like it's trying to load Microsoft Anna though so that's not the problem.  I'd be interested in seeing a log with add-ons disabled.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 5:08 AM

[...]

I try to make NVDA clean without addons and here is the log.

The fact is, if I run narrator, Microsoft Anna works well with narrator.

Quentin Christensen 於 8/11/2019 14:09 寫道: