From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Wednesday, 01 September 2021 09:24
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Outlook Training Error

Hi Chris,

Thanks for highlighting these!  The good news (for me), the first one is where I must have rewritten the paragraph and then inadvertently left both copies in.  The second was where I had simply repeated a sentence - and the rest are changes Microsoft have made to their ribbon structure.

In each of those cases, the keystroke changing is caused by Microsoft moving the option into a submenu, so it it on the same ribbon but you need to add 0, then 0:

To toggle the BCC field, press alt+p, 0, 0, b

To add reccurance to a calendar event, with the event open, you now need to press alt+h, 0, 0, e.

To add a new calendar, you now need to press alt+h, 0, 0, a, o  (as well as being in that 0 0 menu, it is in an "add / share" submenu as well, as is b" for new blank calendar).

The recurrence change is the one I really disagree with - while you shouldn't need to add calendars too often, or toggle the BCC field, you often need to add or edit recurrance to a calender event.  If anyone else feels the same way, the best I can suggest is petitioning Microsoft to make it easier to get to.

I'll update the module in the shop, once I've edit it a bit more - and if you find any other issues through the remainder of the module, please do let me know!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 11:55 PM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

Hi.

Here’s what I’ve jotted down so far as I work through the module. I’m only about halfway through, and I’m not sure which of these are actual issues or a matter of misreading things on my part, i.e. operator error.

NOTE: The following possible errors were encountered while working through your Outlook training, while using Outlook version 16.0.14326.20216.

A general comment: Lists, like the table of contents, are not formatted correctly in the epub version, at least when read using QRead 3.21 for Windows. Could these be put one item per line, or even turned into hyperlinks, if the EPUB format supports it?

2.4 Sending Email: Duplicate sentence.

“After writing and double checking a message, press alt+s to send it. Once sent, the message cannot be cancelled. After writing and double checking a message, it is ready to be sent. To send a message, press alt+s. Once a message has been sent, it can generally not be recalled.”

2.7 Reading Messages

You repeat yourself in the paragraph about message sorting.

The default message order is to have the newest at the top and the oldest at the bottom. To reverse this sort order, press alt+v, then r, then s. The sort order can also be changed to another field. Sort by subject to have messages sorted by their subject line, alphabetically. Messages can also be sorted by sender, recipient, and many other fields. Press alt+v, then a, then b to choose the field messages are arranged by. This opens a menu where the field to sort by can be chosen. If desired, reverse the sort order with alt+v, then r, then s.”

3.6 Using BCC

Press alt+p to open the Options ribbon, then b to activate the BCC option.”

While editing a message ALT+P does indeed open the Options ribbon, but B doesn’t seem to do anything.

4.6 Recurring Appointments:

When editing an appointment, press alt+h, then e to open the "Appointment Recurrence" dialog.”

I get an error chime when I press the E in that key sequence.

4.8 Using Multiple Calendars:

To add a new calendar, press alt+h, then o, then c.”

I can’t get that to work.

I hope to get through the rest of the module today.

Chris

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Hi Chris,

Is it that pressing alt+130 is not working at all, or that NVDA is not reporting anything when you press it?  I just tried now, and it inserts é into Word (365 at least), but NVDA did not report anything.  I will write up an issue for that, but the é character definitely did get inserted.

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 6:28 PM Christo Vorster <cvklaviere@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin

I upgraded to NVDA 2021.1 and suddenly I find that I can no longer use the ASCII codes, as I used to do. I’m talking, eg, ALT+130 (to type Acute E,  etc.

I haven’t updated the version of Word I’m using, it still is Word 2016.

Is there a remedy to rectify this problem, or any other way to create these codes?

Regards

Christo Vorster (Worcester, South Africa))

[...]

Rui Fontes

Here, with last Alpha of NVDA and last version of Office 365, is working alright...

Rui Fontes

Às 09:27 de 01/09/2021, Christo Vorster escreveu:

[...]

Christo Vorster

Hi Quentin

Nothing happens. I tried it just now and it reads “e” but not, as earlier, “e acute”.

Regards

[...]

Lukasz Golonka

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 12:50:24 +0200
"Christo Vorster" <cvklaviere@breede.co.za> wrote:

Nothing happens. I tried it just now and it reads “e” but not, as earlier, “e acute”.
What synthesizer are you using?

--
Regards
Lukasz

Christo Vorster

I currently use Windows OneCor

Nothing happens. I tried it just now and it reads “e” but not, as earlier, “e acute”.
What synthesizer are you using?

--
Regards
Lukasz

Quentin Christensen

Interesting I went to write this issue up and at first it didn't read anything, I tried changing between NVDA versions and changing some settings like turning Use UIA on and off, and now I can't get it NOT to work.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 9:11 PM Christo Vorster <cvklaviere@...> wrote:
I currently use Windows OneCor

> Nothing happens. I tried it just now and it reads “e” but not, as earlier, “e acute”.

What synthesizer are you using?

--
Regards
Lukasz

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Jacob Kruger

Christo, what speech synth are you making use of?

Ask that since, right now, testing this against NVDA 2021.2 beta, in notepad, for example, eSpeak, IBM-TTS, etc. etc. will all read out accented part of character name, but, windows one core voices don't at all - they just tell me the primary name of the letter?

é ê ë - there's an example of 3 different accented versions of the letter E that 3 of the one core voices just spoke out as E E E, whereas eSpeak-ng, etc. tells me that they are E acute, E circumflex and E umlaut.

HTH

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-09-01 12:50 PM, Christo Vorster wrote:

Hi Quentin

[...]

I currently use Windows OneCor Voices. I tested the SAPI 5 voice but the result was the same.

On 2021-09-01 12:50 PM, Christo Vorster wrote:

Hi Quentin

[...]

Try it with eSpeak - as in, seems like the issue might be with all the MS engines, and, their interpretation of accented characters, and, this is, in other words, not something that NVDA could really fix, unless you tried adding spoken dictionary entries, or something like that to have them read out differently?

For example, just added a whole word entry for just one of the accented letters to the voice-specific dictionary for MS Mark, and he just pronounced é as E acute?

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-09-01 12:50 PM, Christo Vorster wrote:

Hi Quentin

[...]

Giles Turnbull

Hi all, I am puzzled, because I get an upper case E acute with ALT+0201, and a lower case one with ALT+0233. What I do notice that I hadn't noticed before, is that when I type those characters in Notepad and cursor up or down to them, NVDA just says "e" but if I use the left or right arrows to get to the character than NVDA will say "e acute", beeping for the capital version.

When I try the ALT+130 code that others are talking about, I get a ""single low quote,"" which I assume is the German style of opening quote mark.

This is the website that I use to remind myself of ALT codes for accented letters if I need them:
http://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/accents-alt-codes.php

Giles

Quentin Christensen

Looks like there might be one or more issues here.  If anyone would like to sit down and work out what is going on, please do feel free to write up an issue at: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

(I just can't promise I have enough time to investigate it fully today).