Topics

Using Groups.io, some handy info

Hello All,

          Someone just wrote to me privately asking about using Mute this Topic and noting that he was asked to log in to Groups.io, which you absolutely will need to do on occasion, as what keeps track of the topics you mute is associated with your Groups.io account.

           When you subscribe to any Groups.io group, the e-mail address you used to do so becomes your login ID and an account, that is "without password but can't be logged in to on the web until you set one," is created.

Here are several tutorials I've written that will allow you to set things up so that you can use the advanced features that Groups.io gives you:

Establishing a Groups.io Website Account Password If You’ve Been an E-Mail Only User (docx) - The most basic, and first thing you must do.  This information is repeated in the tutorial on controlling the mail you get from Groups.io, but I made a standalone version that only covers the steps to do this.  Once you do this, the Mute this Topic link becomes a "click and its done" affair provided you logged in using the browser that's your default browser and haven't closed that browser and cleared cookies.  Mute this topic uses the web interface, but not in such a way that you need to interact with it, you just need to have access to your account, which means just staying logged in once you are logged in.

Changing the Email Address for Your Groups.io Account (docx) - If you ever want to ditch your current email address, and have subscribed to multiple groups using it, you need not unsubscribe from all of them and resubscribe with the new address.  You can simply log in to your Groups.io account and change the email address associated with it.  Doing so will also change your login ID to that new email address rather than the one you were using.

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx) - The title says it all, and there are some very nifty tricks you can use to get exquisite control over what lands in your inbox and under what conditions for any group to which you're subscribed.

I am happy to give additional information on anything that might not be clear in the above tutorials.  It's to all of our advantages that each member knows how to get what they want out of the Groups.io experience.

       ~ Brian Vogel

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Brian

Would I be able to use your tutorials up on the Accessibility Central.net website for others to reference. I would combine the tutorials into one page with headings to jump down to each section.

If allowed they would most probably go to the nvda tutorials for other programs page.

I would like to have your name there as a contributor unless you do not want me to add it there.

If I was to change any thing it would just be the name of the web page using .... with nvda if you get what I mean.

Gene nz

On 5/01/2021 12:02 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Gene,

          I have no problem with anyone using any of my material with attribution.  And I have no problem with it being reformatted to be more screen reader friendly or medium friendly (e.g., webpages versus documents, which use different formatting conventions).

          I don't really care if a "with NVDA" is tacked on, but I will say that I go to some pretty great lengths to be as screen reader agnostic as I can.  As an example, I may say something like, "Navigate to the close button and activate it."   How you, as an individual do that with the screen reader you're using is not something I attempt to explain, as these tutorials do not have screen reader skills as their focus.  But if you wish to NVDA-ify some of it to be much more explicit, be my guest.  You'll see that Timothy Wynn revised the section regarding how to set advanced preferences with a screen reader, and this screen-reader centric version was superior to my original, so in it went with attribution.

I only wish I were paid for the material I've generated over the years, but I never generated it with monetary compensation being the expected end.  It's a sort of casting of my bread upon the water . . .

       ~ Brian Vogel