Topics

Using NVDA with Proxy

Hi. I've had an issue with NVDA for a while where checking for updates or using Add-on Updater to check for add-on updates doesn't work. I take paid surveys and use other ways of earning passive income, so I have an app on my computer that monitors internet traffic. Keeping it installed on my laptop and Android phone earns me money. On my phone, it uses a VPN, but it uses a proxy on my laptop. Certain NVDA or add-on functions that use the internet don't work with the proxy for some reason, and if I turn it off in Windows 10's proxy settings, the app just turns it back on. The app has no settings of its own. Some Windows 10 apps don't work with it either, but this isn't as big a deal. I've actually had to temporarily uninstall the app and restart my computer if I want to check for NVDA or add-on updates, or check for them manually. Is there any way I can get NVDA to work with the proxy server the app uses? It would be wonderful if this is possible. Thanks.

--
Lanie Molinar
Disability Rights Advocate and Software Engineering Student at Brigham Young University-Idaho

Larry Wang

you can use a software called socksCap to force NVDA to use certain proxy
Here is its download page

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 1:06 PM Lanie Molinar <laniemolinar91@...> wrote:

[...]

Either that didn't work or I'm doing it wrong. I got it to launch NVDA successfully but I'm not sure which programs to add to SocksCap to make checking for updates work.

On 7/9/2019 5:28 AM, Larry Wang wrote:
[...]

That should be main exeutalbe of nvda
By default it is.
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\nvda.exe
You can check the properties of nvda shortcut on desktop for exact path
You can also attach proxy to running nvda process

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 8:56 PM Lanie Molinar <laniemolinar91@...> wrote:

[...]

Still doesn't work. I attached it to the NVDA process and tried adding NVDA to the programs list, but checking for updates still fails.