Topics

using NVDA with the facebook website?

Dan Beaver

Hi,

I have been trying to use the facebook website. I am totally confused about how to do things like posting things and making comments to friends' posts. How do you do this with a screen reader and especially NVDA?

Are there shortcuts or something that I should be using?

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Dan

What browser are you using? There is different key combos for each browser.
I user these alot along with the quick navigation keys in facebook. I
use face book more to post stuff like when I update my website or read a
little material from what people are saying. I did start putting
together a basic tutorial on how to use face book, but have not done
much about it. It is one of those unfinished projects.

But I do have a list of the shortcuts for your browser here if you want
them.

Gene nz

On 28-Mar-16 2:12 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
[...]

William Brandes <williambrandes@...>

hi. i run nvda with firefox and win xp/ win 8.1 but you should have
any problem with other browsers or win os's.

one hint is to use the mobile fb which is m.facebook.com

however, fb is very easy to navigate with just tab, arrows and the
enter key. but, you need to know the lingo when you hear it.

from the top of the page (with the mobile version) you will go through
a number of links such as notifications, messages and the like. keep
listening and going ...

next, you will hear a set of placements that are for you to post a
message if you want. the first thing you will hear, is a graphic of
your fb page. then you will hear other stuff including edit. hear this
back up with the arrow key and then tab, then write your message.
done? then tab to post/send.

the next thing you will hear after this posting stuff is current
notifications and friend requests.

after this, you will start to hear the posts that are in your newsfeed.

really, that is all there is to it. in every post in that feed, you
will hear like and comment. just enter on those links and you will be
able to comment.

again, this is for the mobile version. the normal fb page is a bit
more redesigned but the basics hold.

it really isn't very hard, once you get used to it. really!

actually, fb is easier to use than this mail-list in digest form /smile ...

stay well. william

--

Own a Kindle Ebook or Fire? Accessible tips for vision loss. kindle on

https://www.freelists.org/list/vi-kindle

One Blind Guy: www.oneblindguy.com

William Brandes Consulting: www.williambrandes.com

Website design. Hosting. Domains.
A technology firm. Tiffin, Ohio.
Majoring in an open-web. accessibility for everyone.

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Dan

Below is the list of shortcuts for facebook. these include what ever browser you are using plus the face book ones.

It is probably alot easier to use the single letter ones by or I mean with NVDA. In some cases you will need to change from browse mode into say focus mode say to sign out.

Shortcuts that can be used with FaceBook

Facebook has shortcuts (access keys) for people who only use their keyboards to navigate. If you experience an issue using keyboard shortcuts, please let us know. Keep in mind that keyboard shortcuts can differ by browser (ex: Firefox, Internet Explorer).

Find the right combination of keys for your browser in the list below, and replace # with the access key number listed under Access Keys below.

Internet Explorer for PC: Alt + #, then Enter

Firefox for PC: Shift + Alt + #

Safari for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #

Firefox for Mac:  Ctrl + Opt + #

Chrome for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #

Chrome for PC: Alt + #

Access Keys

0 - Help

2 - Timeline

3 - Friends

4 - Inbox

5 – Notifications

6 – Settings

7 - Activity Log

8 - About

9 - Terms

Keyboard Shortcuts

News Feed

j and k - Scroll between News Feed stories

enter/return - See more of the selected story

p - Post a new status

l - Like or unlike the selected story

c - Comment on the selected story

s - Share the selected story

o - Open an attachment from the selected story

q - Search chat contacts

? - Open a list of these keyboard shortcuts while in News Feed

Web Messenger:

CTRL + g - Search conversations

CTRL + q - Show/hide keyboard shortcuts

CTRL + Delete - Archive/unarchive conversation

CTRL + j - Mark as spam

CTRL + m - Start a new message

CTRL + i - Go to Inbox

CTRL + u - Go to Other

[...]

Afrim <afrim.maja@...>

Hello Dan,

Accessing facebook through NVDA may sound a little difficult in the beginning. It is so because you will deal with a lot of information in the page which may really confuse you. However, it does not have to be so difficult if you are a little careful. I’ve been a user of Facebook for a very long time now. I mostly have used it through its main website, but if you are not patient, and if you want a less crowded page, you can use either www.touch.facebook.com/, or www.m.facebook.com/.

In my experience, I found touch facebook a little better because it resembles the main website of facebook. It is indeed very crowded area, but I believe you will get used to it through some hints.

Use the quick navigation keys you use to navigate on internet like headings, links, buttons and edit boxes.

When you log in to facebook for the first time, you come across things like messages, requests, notifications and so on. To put this into practice, you press ctrl+home to go to the beginning of the page, and start navigating by using the down arrow key to see what you have in the page. The first link is “Skip to news feed”, then you bump into home and your profile. Note that these also have shortcuts, but I mostly do not use them. Then you find an edit box to search for people, pages, groups or places. After that, you have three buttons which stand for requests, messages and notifications. Now we come to what I suggested you to do in the beginning. “Use those quick navigation keys”. To make this more concrete, let’s suppose you log in to facebook, and you want to check your messages or notifications. Use “B” to move through buttons and you will jump to these buttons I described right away. First you find requests, then messages, notifications, and if you continue, you run into privacy shortcuts and account settings. To access the account settings, which is very important, you have to press insert+space to read these settings. When you find one which you need, press enter. The same procedure goes for requests, notifications, or messages. The difference is that on messages or notifications, you need to press tab to access the items.

We are not yet done. We are finished just with a section of facebook. Now we come to another part, which is reading news feed and other sections which are related to them. So again, let’s come back to the beginning of the page by pressing ctrl+home. Press “H” to move through the headings, because the news feed and the sections which come before are arranged so. You will bump into friends, pages, groups, favourites, people you may know and then news feed. Continue to browse by H, and you will be presented with what people share. An example could be, John Smith shared a link. Now press down arrow to access the information next to that heading. After you read what the post is about, you will have the options to like, comment or share. The post which may either be found by down arrow, or by using B, to move through buttons. Note! There will be an edit box next to each heading where there is a post, and that is for writing a comment or uploading a photo along with the comment. Sometimes, there are a lot of posts that come in front of you, and NVDA and many other screen readers become really slow. Something I forgot to mention is that apart from a heading which shows a post, there is also the next heading that displays the comments related to it.

Remember, we are not yet done. Now we jump to the next section which is chatting or sending and receiving messages. The chat is found in the end of the page. This being said, Press ctrl+End and you will go to the end of the page, where there is the chat. Press up arrow and you will find a search button to look for people whom you want to message. Press again up arrow and you may find options if I’m not wrong. Once again, press up arrow and you will hear “Chat conversation end”. Now, if you still continue pressing up arrow, you will run into people who are currently online. They may be 15, 20 or more. To make things easier, read the names of these people by links, and if you like to send a message to someone, press enter on his/her name. NVDA should move the cursor automatically to the edit box to type the message, but if it doesn’t, press this important keyboard shortcut “ctrl+end” to move to the end of the page, and press shift+E to find the edit box where you should type the message. Additionally,  you have an edit box to upload and send a photo. These edit boxes come with a name, so when you hear “type a message…”, stop there. When you are finished writing the message, press enter to send it. To read the sender’s message, press up arrow from that edit box and you will be able to read everything in the chat history. The same procedure should be followed even when somebody sends you a message, or when you activate a conversation from within the messages section in the beginning of the page that I described above.

If you were attentive listening to what I said, you will be able to progress very quickly and learn how to use facebook through its main website.

I hope this helped you.

Sincerely,

Afrim

I have written a short document on how to use facebook through its main website, but I'm not sure why isn't it sent correctly

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Afrim

Would I be able to have a copy of your tutorial on face book? It can be sent to my email off this list  if you would like to.
It can be found in the header of the email or you could send it to my other account  on my website.  The email address is hurrikennyandopo@...
I do have a partly written up tutorial on using the basics of face book, but has not been finished yet.

If you are happy for me to use some of your material I would like to combine the 2 of them then host it off my webstie at http://www.accessibilitycentral.netit would go under the nvda tutorials for other programs page in a written format.

I have been considering a audio tutorial on the basics of face book, but have not got there yet as I don't use it enough.

Gene nz
.

On 28-Mar-16 10:09 PM, Afrim wrote:

[...]

David Moore

Hi,
I want you all to know that I use NVDA with the URL:
m.facebook.com
You do not type the www. It is a much less cluttered site, and you can find your friends, post, send messages, chat, and much more. I am on Facebook every day, and it works great. I never use the regular site, because there is way too much on the page, and it is very slow. My sighted wife gets frustrated on the regular site. The URL I gave is called the mobile site. There are links to enter on for everything. It is just like navigating a regular web site with forms. I will try this other web site. I have never heard of that one. Take care, and let me know if you would like any help or suggestions on how to do a certain task on FB. Have a great one.

Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] using NVDA with the facebook website?

[...]

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

Hi Gene,
I wholeheartedly apologise, because this was mainly the tutorial I was going to send, but I don't know why I couldn't paste the text from microsoft word where I typed it. Now I can see that you can fully access it. It's a piece of good information. I am talking about my post related to Dan.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 28, 2016, at 11:15 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

By the way, you could use the information in my first post and complete your tutorial.
Hope it can help you.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 5:15 PM

[...]

Hi Gene and others,

I will respond to this posting and not all the other helpful posts.

I appreciate all the suggestions and help that has been given. I also apologize for not responding more quickly but we had some issues here and I am just now getting back to my system.

I am running the latest version of Firefox on a windows 10 64 bit system.

I have tried the m.facebook.com site and have found it tremendously easier to use than the normal facebook.com site. I believe I will be using it from now on. I even made some settings changes that I have tried multiple times on the normal site and failed. This site made these changes so much easier.

Gene, I will definitely be using several of the shortcuts you gave me. I really appreciate the info.

Thanks again all.

Dan Beaver