Topics

Using Surface Pro with touchscreen only?

Denis Sariyannis

Hi all,
I just got my new Surface Pro 7 which runs Windows 10 with NVDA as my primary screenreader.
Of course I use the device as a notebook and it works very well. NVDA is extremely responsive, too.
Now I wonder if it would make sense to learn about its touchscreen and to run it also in tablet mode. From what I've seen so far it seems to be quite complicated for example to navigate through a list of files in Windows Explorer or to work with menus.
Furthermore NVDA regularly doesn't recognize gestures correctly. Flicking left and right with two fingers often gets interpreted as a single finger flick etc. The iPad seems to be much more precise when doing that.
Does it make sense to keep trying and maybe even turning on Narrator instead when using it without a keyboard or is it not really usable productively?
Maybe you could give me some hints and tell about your experiences?
Thank you!

Regards
Denis

--
Denis Sariyannis
Mail: denis.sariyannis@...

molly the blind tech lover

Hi.

You can definitely use the touchscreen with NVDA. I have the Surface Go.

[...]

Kevin Cussick

Hi, well, for me I had the same problems You face I just don't think Nvda is up to the job using the touch screen. nothing near as good as Narrator.

On 06/11/2019 10:20, Denis Sariyannis wrote:
[...]
Mail: denis.sariyannis@... <mailto:denis.sariyannis@...>
Phone: +49 6227 6982766
Mobile: +49 176 66830900

Quentin Christensen

I think the main issue might be that not as many touch gestures are pre-setup, however you can setup any gestures you like using NVDA's Input Gestures feature, particularly as the newer hardware running the latest Windows 10 might be able to distinguish different gestures.

I think if you can input a gesture that Narrator recognises, NVDA should be able to recognise it also - it might just be that we haven't set anything to activate to that gesture by default.

That is probably the main thing I would say - even if we defined more gestures by default, it would still be hard to try to come close to the number of commands you can give NVDA via the keyboard - certainly not as logically.  But that will be the same for any screen reader on any platform.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Denis Sariyannis

Thanks for all your answers.
Does anyone know how I can navigate through a list view? If I do it with narrator or NVDA I always navigate through columns but not through lines. it is very annoying when using Windows Explorer. I guess there must be a build in solution to do this. Otherwise I'm going to create a gesture for it.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet