From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 11:51 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Using the num pad keys to review text

This issue refers to the same friend of mine who has issues with his Braille display. I say that only as reference. I don't see these issues as linked.

He has opened a word document. He cannot use the numpad 4 and 6 keys to review text, like with Jaws. Is this expected functionality or is there something I've forgotten to tell my friend to help him better? When I open a word document and attempt to read word for word using numpad 4 and 6, I get the same result he does. I don't see any of the text in the document, but, the name of the document and menu options.

Thanks. That one was easy. Received and communicated.

On 7/29/2020 2:57 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
In NVDA world, numpad is strictly used to review contents of a control, not to move caret as you can do with JAWS.
Cheers,
Joseph

This issue refers to the same friend of mine who has issues with his Braille display. I say that only as reference. I don't see these issues as linked.

He has opened a word document. He cannot use the numpad 4 and 6 keys to review text, like with Jaws. Is this expected functionality or is there something I've forgotten to tell my friend to help him better? When I open a word document and attempt to read word for word using numpad 4 and 6, I get the same result he does. I don't see any of the text in the document, but, the name of the document and menu options.

Christopher Gray

Hi:

This may explain why I sometimes find myself unable to review an entire window/screen. In a DOS box, things work well. But in other windows, I often can't find what I would expect, say, when using COBRA.

Is there a way in NVDA to move the caret and review in that way? If this is a complicated question, I would be happy for a pointer to the places to look in the UOser Guide/Help.

Chris

In NVDA world, numpad is strictly used to review contents of a control, not to move caret as you can do with JAWS.
Cheers,
Joseph

This issue refers to the same friend of mine who has issues with his Braille display. I say that only as reference. I don't see these issues as linked.

He has opened a word document. He cannot use the numpad 4 and 6 keys to review text, like with Jaws. Is this expected functionality or is there something I've forgotten to tell my friend to help him better? When I open a word document and attempt to read word for word using numpad 4 and 6, I get the same result he does. I don't see any of the text in the document, but, the name of the document and menu options.

Gene

check to see which mode you are in. You needd to be in object review, not screen review for the commands you are discussing to work when you are in Word, according to the very little testing I just did, based on your question.

This issue refers to the same friend of mine who has issues with his
Braille display. I say that only as reference. I don't see these issues
as linked.

He has opened a word document. He cannot use the numpad 4 and 6 keys to
review text, like with Jaws. Is this expected functionality or is there
something I've forgotten to tell my friend to help him better? When I
open a word document and attempt to read word for word using numpad 4
and 6, I get the same result he does. I don't see any of the text in the
document, but, the name of the document and menu options.

Gene

Also, switch to object review before you open Word so the object navigator will track the cursor properly.

I should add that I'm using an older version of Word and I don't know if newer versions will work this way with NVDA, but I suspect they will.

Also, adding to Joseph Lee's comment, it is important to understand the following points:
in JAWS, when you use numpad 4 and 6, you are doing exactly the same thing as when you use the left and right arrow keys on the main keyboard. When you are in the pc cursor, JAWS doesn't do anything to change the function of numpad 4 and 6. Whether JAWS or no screen-reader is running, 4 and 6 duplicate the left and right arrow keys unless a program takes them over. This is a Windows design. If the person wants exactly the same response as with JAWS, he should use the main arrow keys on the keyboard. Also, if you use 4 and 6 in NVDA's object navigation mode, you are moving the object navigator, not the cursor. The person expects the cursor to move when he uses numpad 4 and 6 in JAWS. It won't in NVDA.

This issue refers to the same friend of mine who has issues with his
Braille display. I say that only as reference. I don't see these issues
as linked.

He has opened a word document. He cannot use the numpad 4 and 6 keys to
review text, like with Jaws. Is this expected functionality or is there
something I've forgotten to tell my friend to help him better? When I
open a word document and attempt to read word for word using numpad 4
and 6, I get the same result he does. I don't see any of the text in the
document, but, the name of the document and menu options.

We sorted that little bit out. Thanks for extra information.

-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 4:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

-----Original Message----- From: Governor staten
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 1:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

This issue refers to the same friend of mine who has issues with his
Braille display. I say that only as reference. I don't see these issues
as linked.

He has opened a word document. He cannot use the numpad 4 and 6 keys to
review text, like with Jaws. Is this expected functionality or is there
something I've forgotten to tell my friend to help him better? When I
open a word document and attempt to read word for word using numpad 4
and 6, I get the same result he does. I don't see any of the text in the
document, but, the name of the document and menu options.

Gene

I suspect a lot of people don't realize why numpad 4 and 6 do what they do when using JAWS. I doubt your friend understands that 4 and 6 will often seem to review text in the same way in NVDA but that the cursor will not move. That's why I made my point. Many people transitioning from JAWS to NVEDA may find when experimenting that Numpad 4 and 6 seem to do the same thing, but they don't.

Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 1:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

This issue refers to the same friend of mine who has issues with his
Braille display. I say that only as reference. I don't see these issues
as linked.

He has opened a word document. He cannot use the numpad 4 and 6 keys to
review text, like with Jaws. Is this expected functionality or is there
something I've forgotten to tell my friend to help him better? When I
open a word document and attempt to read word for word using numpad 4
and 6, I get the same result he does. I don't see any of the text in the
document, but, the name of the document and menu options.

Gene

I should say that I suspect many people don't understand why they can seem to review text with numpad 4 and 6 in NVDA in the same way as JAWS but that the cursor doesn't move when they experiment during the transition from JAWS to NVDA.