Version 21.10 of Joseph Lee's add-ons are on their way #addonrelease

Hi all,

I think you can consider this one of my parting gifts:

Version 21.10 of my add-ons (except Add-on Updater) are on their way. These include Control Usage Assistant, Enhanced Touch Gestures, Event Tracker, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, StationPlaylist, and Windows App Essentials. These updates will be made available via Add-on Updater in coming days (the thread will be updated then).

BEFORE YOU INSTALL:

  1. You must be running NVDA 2021.2 or later; Resource Monitor requires NVDA 2021.1 or later, but for consistency, please use it with 2021.2 or later. To prepare you for this change, starting today, Add-on Updater will not offer updates for these add-ons for older NVDA releases. This change is necessary because NVDA 2021.2 introduced a big change that will affect many add-ons next year, and I decided to apply this change early (this decision also aligns with my exit plan outlined below).
  2. If you are planning to use Windows 11, you MUST be running both NVDA 2021.2 AND Windows App Essentials 21.10 and later releases.
  3. As of version 21.10, Event Tracker is end of life from me. I have asked add-ons community to maintain this add-on further.
  4. Version 21.10 will be third to last update for StationPlaylist add-on from me (originally it was second to last but I decided to release a version in November to support StationPlaylist suite 6).
  5. For other add-ons except Windows App Essentials, version 21.10 will be the second to last release from me. The final releases will be made in January 2022, and to prepare for end of life, I’m not accepting suggestions for Control Usage Assistant, Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, and StationPlaylist.

I’m letting go of most add-ons so I can focus on other things in life. Those who have experienced graduate school education (masters and doctorate/PH.D.) can understand what I’m talking about – the first few weeks are easy, but as time goes on, school takes priority. I’m entering a phase in life where I need to balance between school and other duties, therefore I’m letting go of add-on development which was a big part of my life for the last few years. Besides, we now have people in NVDA community who are more than capable of maintaining add-ons like the ones I have maintained, and I’m confident that folks will make these add-ons better in the long term. I am counting on you, the entire NVDA community around the world, to show users respect by maintaining these add-ons in the future.

Key highlights of version 21.10:

  • As I mentioned, all add-ons from me will now require newer NVDA releases.
  • Localization updates for all add-ons.
  • Control Usage Assistant, Event Tracker, Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, StationPlaylist, Windows App Essentials: takes advantage of control types refactor introduced in NVDA 2021.2.
  • GoldWave: in GoldWave 6.57, NVDA will no longer announce track names when you press play/rewind/stop keys.
  • Windows App Essentials: improved (and now official) support for Windows 11 apps.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi all,

Update: these updates are now rolling out via Add-on Updater.

Cheers,

Joseph

anthony borg

Many thanks Joseph.