Topics

Very concerned, was: qualifying to manage a list (stupid hash tags)

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>

Unlike Gene, and others, I must say I do not concur with them.  If anything, I actually am with Travis, AKA, Kwork, on this one.  Joseph has done a magnificent job, and the fact that he was man enough to step up and say, I don't feel that I can do this anymore adiquitly took lots of courage!  I'm very proud of him for being so honest and so up front, yet being so respectful to all of us in how he did things.  To his credit, I think we all need to give Mr. Lee a bit of a break.  I really can tell in my heart that he truly, truly does care, and is trying his darndest, contrary to what a lot of you all may think, or believe.

He's not burnt out.  I had a member yesterday who will be 100% left nameless, who called me at the phone number listed in my signature.

He or she kept asking me over and over again if I felt Joseph was burned out.  For the record, let me just say this.  I had planned today to talk to this person more if the questions continued, but honestly... look... he/she called me on my tech support line, and when I said I'm not here to play the middle man in this, go ask Joseph directly, go read his blog post which explains everything of his reasonings, they didn't apparently do so.  I have no issue talking to others, including this member both as a friend, and as a business related thing, but don't! put me as the middle man, off business hours or not.  That really put me in a very uncomfortable position yesterday. I felt put on the immediate spot, as I didn't want to say anything privately or publicly, and be taken as being rude, but I neither wanted to  hold back and not say how I felt about things.

I'm just a member of the list, and a fairly new one at that.  Just because I put my work phone number in my signature doesn't mean I did so, so that people could call me about list admin duties.  I'm not a mod, nor an admin, nor wish to be frankly.

My point is, if Joseph really were "burnt out," quote unquote, then don't you think he probably wouldn't have been so willing to explain on his blog?  He posted that link for a reason, and that reason wasn't to have people just ignore it, then later wonder.  It's the whole shoot and kill now, ask questions later principle.  It shouldn't be that way.  Joseph gave you all a resource to look at, if you're wondering, so, for goodness sake, use it if you're wonderring.  I, shouldn't have to be the one to clear this up for everyone on the list.  It's not my responsibility, nor my problem.

Again, sorry to be so brutally direct about this statement, but I had to say something before this got more out of hand than it already has, and I beg the admins' pardon for having to say this publicly with my utmost of respect for them.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
Phone: (704) 256-8010 Extension 401.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 12:32 PM
Subject: [nvda] qualifying to manage a list (stupid hash tags)

Joseph, those are very good points on which to choose a new moderator. I think that another point is that they also need to be respected by the majority of the list members where they will serve, and that's where the on list voting will help. The more that vote on this type of topic, the greater the chance that cooler heads will prevail, and the transition will be a smooth one.
Thank you, Joseph, for all the work you've done with NVDA, and this list, over the past three years.
Travis
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 11:19 PM
Subject: [nvda] Follow-up: moderator qualifications #ModNotice #AdminNotice

Hi,

If you or someone you know fulfills all (yes, ALL) of the following requirements, then please put forth your name or that person’s name as the candidate for the new moderator (note that this isn’t about head moderator position, and our current head moderator is Nimer Jaber):

1.       Have used NVDA for the past three years or more.

2.       Have been a member of this forum and other NVDA forums for the past three years or more.

3.       Ability to communicate well, especially when confronting a crisis such as misbehaving members, off-topic messages and such.

4.       Ability to communicate kindly (and with humility) even in the face of adversity (especially during arbitration hearing proceedings).

5.       Willingness to seek advice from moderators and members of this forum when making list-wide decisions.

6.       Familiarity with Groups.IO administration controls.

7.       Ability to serve as a user-side advocate when talking to NV Access and other NVDA developers.

8.       Ability to deliver important news from NV Access such as NVDA release announcements in a timely manner.

9.       Willingness to step down from position of power when appropriate (recalled, on his or her own will and so on).

10.   Willingness to shower members of this list and the wider NVDA community with love and mercy, including to misbehaving members.

11.   Having the servant’s attitude (to serve, not to be served).

12.   Willingness to be accountable and answerable to members of this list and the public.

13.   Must be at least 21 years of age or older (or considered an adult in the country a candidate resides in).

Some of you may say, “look, these requirements are too hard.” I believe that, as a public face of this list (alongside other moderators and members), you are responsible for the fate and reputation of this list, and in extension, NVDA community and NVDA screen reader itself. Thus only applications from serious candidates will be accepted (applications will be accepted until early April, and election will be held by end of April so the new moderator can adjust to his or her new role throughout May).

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

P.S. The reason for making these requirements tough is because of the following blog post:

http://joslee22590.blogspot.com/2016/03/if-i-die-tonight-2-showering-forum.html?spref=tw

Although the post talks about head moderators, it applies to associate moderators as well. Good luck.

Gene

I did not and I went out of my way to say, that I was not criticizing Michael lee for stepping down.  I criticized the reasons he gave and pointed out that that reason implies that younger members might be considered for the position while older people might not be because they are not and cannot be part of the generational shift.  If most people resigned from things because they were in their late twenties or early thirties, we would lose most of the experience and knowledge that comes with age.  If most of us resigned because we were worried about who would carry on if some mishap happened to us, then everyone would have to resign from everything because a mishap can happen to anyone.  That's why there are procedures that institutions have for filling a vacancy left by death or disability. 

I also said that I appreciate the work Michael Lee did in running the list. 

My main criticism was to the proposal to elect the next moderator. 

If Michael Lee wants to resign, that's his decision.  I did not criticize that decision. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:40 AM
Subject: Re: Very concerned, was: [nvda] qualifying to manage a list (stupid hash tags)

Unlike Gene, and others, I must say I do not concur with them.  If anything, I actually am with Travis, AKA, Kwork, on this one.  Joseph has done a magnificent job, and the fact that he was man enough to step up and say, I don't feel that I can do this anymore adiquitly took lots of courage!  I'm very proud of him for being so honest and so up front, yet being so respectful to all of us in how he did things.  To his credit, I think we all need to give Mr. Lee a bit of a break.  I really can tell in my heart that he truly, truly does care, and is trying his darndest, contrary to what a lot of you all may think, or believe.

He's not burnt out.  I had a member yesterday who will be 100% left nameless, who called me at the phone number listed in my signature.

He or she kept asking me over and over again if I felt Joseph was burned out.  For the record, let me just say this.  I had planned today to talk to this person more if the questions continued, but honestly... look... he/she called me on my tech support line, and when I said I'm not here to play the middle man in this, go ask Joseph directly, go read his blog post which explains everything of his reasonings, they didn't apparently do so.  I have no issue talking to others, including this member both as a friend, and as a business related thing, but don't! put me as the middle man, off business hours or not.  That really put me in a very uncomfortable position yesterday. I felt put on the immediate spot, as I didn't want to say anything privately or publicly, and be taken as being rude, but I neither wanted to  hold back and not say how I felt about things.

I'm just a member of the list, and a fairly new one at that.  Just because I put my work phone number in my signature doesn't mean I did so, so that people could call me about list admin duties.  I'm not a mod, nor an admin, nor wish to be frankly.

My point is, if Joseph really were "burnt out," quote unquote, then don't you think he probably wouldn't have been so willing to explain on his blog?  He posted that link for a reason, and that reason wasn't to have people just ignore it, then later wonder.  It's the whole shoot and kill now, ask questions later principle.  It shouldn't be that way.  Joseph gave you all a resource to look at, if you're wondering, so, for goodness sake, use it if you're wonderring.  I, shouldn't have to be the one to clear this up for everyone on the list.  It's not my responsibility, nor my problem.

Again, sorry to be so brutally direct about this statement, but I had to say something before this got more out of hand than it already has, and I beg the admins' pardon for having to say this publicly with my utmost of respect for them.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

Joseph, those are very good points on which to choose a new moderator. I think that another point is that they also need to be respected by the majority of the list members where they will serve, and that's where the on list voting will help. The more that vote on this type of topic, the greater the chance that cooler heads will prevail, and the transition will be a smooth one.
Thank you, Joseph, for all the work you've done with NVDA, and this list, over the past three years.
Travis

Hi,

If you or someone you know fulfills all (yes, ALL) of the following requirements, then please put forth your name or that person’s name as the candidate for the new moderator (note that this isn’t about head moderator position, and our current head moderator is Nimer Jaber):

2.       Have been a member of this forum and other NVDA forums for the past three years or more.

3.       Ability to communicate well, especially when confronting a crisis such as misbehaving members, off-topic messages and such.

4.       Ability to communicate kindly (and with humility) even in the face of adversity (especially during arbitration hearing proceedings).

5.       Willingness to seek advice from moderators and members of this forum when making list-wide decisions.

7.       Ability to serve as a user-side advocate when talking to NV Access and other NVDA developers.

8.       Ability to deliver important news from NV Access such as NVDA release announcements in a timely manner.

9.       Willingness to step down from position of power when appropriate (recalled, on his or her own will and so on).

10.   Willingness to shower members of this list and the wider NVDA community with love and mercy, including to misbehaving members.

12.   Willingness to be accountable and answerable to members of this list and the public.

13.   Must be at least 21 years of age or older (or considered an adult in the country a candidate resides in).

Some of you may say, “look, these requirements are too hard.” I believe that, as a public face of this list (alongside other moderators and members), you are responsible for the fate and reputation of this list, and in extension, NVDA community and NVDA screen reader itself. Thus only applications from serious candidates will be accepted (applications will be accepted until early April, and election will be held by end of April so the new moderator can adjust to his or her new role throughout May).

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

P.S. The reason for making these requirements tough is because of the following blog post:

http://joslee22590.blogspot.com/2016/03/if-i-die-tonight-2-showering-forum.html?spref=tw

Although the post talks about head moderators, it applies to associate moderators as well. Good luck.

Laz

um, Chris, no one has said anything bad about Joseph during this
entire time. I have no idea where you're getting that idea but perhaps
you should read things twice before you start bad mouthing people for
absolutely no reason at all. At least go back and reread Gene's post.

Laz

On 3/23/16, Christopher-Mark Gilland <@AHeart4God316> wrote:
Unlike Gene, and others, I must say I do not concur with them. If anything,
I actually am with Travis, AKA, Kwork, on this one. Joseph has done a
magnificent job, and the fact that he was man enough to step up and say, I
don't feel that I can do this anymore adiquitly took lots of courage! I'm
very proud of him for being so honest and so up front, yet being so
respectful to all of us in how he did things. To his credit, I think we all
need to give Mr. Lee a bit of a break. I really can tell in my heart that
he truly, truly does care, and is trying his darndest, contrary to what a
lot of you all may think, or believe.

He's not burnt out. I had a member yesterday who will be 100% left
nameless, who called me at the phone number listed in my signature.

He or she kept asking me over and over again if I felt Joseph was burned
out. For the record, let me just say this. I had planned today to talk to
this person more if the questions continued, but honestly... look... he/she
called me on my tech support line, and when I said I'm not here to play the
middle man in this, go ask Joseph directly, go read his blog post which
explains everything of his reasonings, they didn't apparently do so. I have
no issue talking to others, including this member both as a friend, and as a
business related thing, but don't! put me as the middle man, off business
hours or not. That really put me in a very uncomfortable position
yesterday. I felt put on the immediate spot, as I didn't want to say
anything privately or publicly, and be taken as being rude, but I neither
wanted to hold back and not say how I felt about things.

I'm just a member of the list, and a fairly new one at that. Just because I
put my work phone number in my signature doesn't mean I did so, so that
people could call me about list admin duties. I'm not a mod, nor an admin,
nor wish to be frankly.

My point is, if Joseph really were "burnt out," quote unquote, then don't
you think he probably wouldn't have been so willing to explain on his blog?
He posted that link for a reason, and that reason wasn't to have people just
ignore it, then later wonder. It's the whole shoot and kill now, ask
questions later principle. It shouldn't be that way. Joseph gave you all a
resource to look at, if you're wondering, so, for goodness sake, use it if
you're wonderring. I, shouldn't have to be the one to clear this up for
everyone on the list. It's not my responsibility, nor my problem.

Again, sorry to be so brutally direct about this statement, but I had to say
something before this got more out of hand than it already has, and I beg
the admins' pardon for having to say this publicly with my utmost of respect
for them.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

@AHeart4God316
To: nvda@groups.io

Joseph, those are very good points on which to choose a new moderator. I
think that another point is that they also need to be respected by the
majority of the list members where they will serve, and that's where the on
list voting will help. The more that vote on this type of topic, the greater
the chance that cooler heads will prevail, and the transition will be a
smooth one.
Thank you, Joseph, for all the work you've done with NVDA, and this list,
over the past three years.
Travis
Subject: [nvda] Follow-up: moderator qualifications #ModNotice
#AdminNotice

Hi,

If you or someone you know fulfills all (yes, ALL) of the following
requirements, then please put forth your name or that person's name as the
candidate for the new moderator (note that this isn't about head moderator
position, and our current head moderator is Nimer Jaber):

1. Have used NVDA for the past three years or more.

2. Have been a member of this forum and other NVDA forums for the
past three years or more.

3. Ability to communicate well, especially when confronting a crisis
such as misbehaving members, off-topic messages and such.

4. Ability to communicate kindly (and with humility) even in the
face of adversity (especially during arbitration hearing proceedings).

5. Willingness to seek advice from moderators and members of this
forum when making list-wide decisions.

6. Familiarity with Groups.IO administration controls.

7. Ability to serve as a user-side advocate when talking to NV
Access and other NVDA developers.

8. Ability to deliver important news from NV Access such as NVDA
release announcements in a timely manner.

9. Willingness to step down from position of power when appropriate
(recalled, on his or her own will and so on).

10. Willingness to shower members of this list and the wider NVDA
community with love and mercy, including to misbehaving members.

11. Having the servant's attitude (to serve, not to be served).

12. Willingness to be accountable and answerable to members of this list
and the public.

13. Must be at least 21 years of age or older (or considered an adult in
the country a candidate resides in).

Some of you may say, "look, these requirements are too hard." I believe
that, as a public face of this list (alongside other moderators and
members), you are responsible for the fate and reputation of this list, and
in extension, NVDA community and NVDA screen reader itself. Thus only
applications from serious candidates will be accepted (applications will be
accepted until early April, and election will be held by end of April so the
new moderator can adjust to his or her new role throughout May).

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

P.S. The reason for making these requirements tough is because of the
following blog post:

Although the post talks about head moderators, it applies to associate
moderators as well. Good luck.

--
Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Players, Accessible phones,
Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@...
Phone: 727-498-0121
Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr

Bhavya shah

Hi Gene,
Not Michael Lee, it is Joseph Lee.
Just minorly correcting.
However, on this note, I would just like to express my wholehearted
respect to Joseph for all the work he has done.
Thanks.

On 3/23/16, Laz <laz@...> wrote:

Laz

Unlike Gene, and others, I must say I do not concur with them. If
anything,
magnificent job, and the fact that he was man enough to step up and say,
I
don't feel that I can do this anymore adiquitly took lots of courage!
I'm
respectful to all of us in how he did things. To his credit, I think we
all
need to give Mr. Lee a bit of a break. I really can tell in my heart
that

out. For the record, let me just say this. I had planned today to talk
to
this person more if the questions continued, but honestly... look...
he/she
called me on my tech support line, and when I said I'm not here to play
the
explains everything of his reasonings, they didn't apparently do so. I
have
no issue talking to others, including this member both as a friend, and as
a

I'm just a member of the list, and a fairly new one at that. Just because
I
people could call me about list admin duties. I'm not a mod, nor an
admin,
nor wish to be frankly.

you think he probably wouldn't have been so willing to explain on his
blog?
He posted that link for a reason, and that reason wasn't to have people
just
questions later principle. It shouldn't be that way. Joseph gave you all
a
resource to look at, if you're wondering, so, for goodness sake, use it
if

Again, sorry to be so brutally direct about this statement, but I had to
say
the admins' pardon for having to say this publicly with my utmost of
respect
for them.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

@AHeart4God316

Joseph, those are very good points on which to choose a new moderator.
I
majority of the list members where they will serve, and that's where the
on
list voting will help. The more that vote on this type of topic, the
greater
smooth one.
Thank you, Joseph, for all the work you've done with NVDA, and this
list,
Travis
#AdminNotice

Hi,

requirements, then please put forth your name or that person's name as
the
candidate for the new moderator (note that this isn't about head

3. Ability to communicate well, especially when confronting a
crisis

9. Willingness to step down from position of power when
appropriate

12. Willingness to be accountable and answerable to members of this
list
and the public.

13. Must be at least 21 years of age or older (or considered an adult
in

members), you are responsible for the fate and reputation of this list,
and
applications from serious candidates will be accepted (applications will
be
accepted until early April, and election will be held by end of April so
the

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

following blog post:

--

--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah
Using NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access) free and open source screen
reader for Microsoft Windows
To download a copy of the free screen reader NVDA, please visit
http://www.nvaccess.org/
Using Google Talkback on Motorolla G second generation Lollipop 5.0.2
Reach me through the following means:
Mobile: +91 7506221750
E-mail id: bhavya.shah125@...
Skype id : bhavya.09

Hi Gene and others,

I did record an address that I shall post a link to shortly.

Perhaps I may have used a wrong word: when I talk about change of generation, what I really meant was the next group of enthusiasts. Sorry about the confusion.

As for concerns that I’ll be leaving this community: resignation doesn’t mean departure. I’ll still be around to answer questions, participating as a member and one of the code contributors to NVDA screen reader.

As for hashtag issue people were getting: all fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:17 AM
Subject: Re: Very concerned, was: [nvda] qualifying to manage a list (stupid hash tags)

I did not and I went out of my way to say, that I was not criticizing Michael lee for stepping down.  I criticized the reasons he gave and pointed out that that reason implies that younger members might be considered for the position while older people might not be because they are not and cannot be part of the generational shift.  If most people resigned from things because they were in their late twenties or early thirties, we would lose most of the experience and knowledge that comes with age.  If most of us resigned because we were worried about who would carry on if some mishap happened to us, then everyone would have to resign from everything because a mishap can happen to anyone.  That's why there are procedures that institutions have for filling a vacancy left by death or disability. 

If Michael Lee wants to resign, that's his decision.  I did not criticize that decision. 

Gene

---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

Travis

Hi,

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Wait,

who's Michael?  I thought it was Joseph Lee. Now I'm confused.  LOL!
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 10:17 AM

Gene

---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

Travis

Hi,

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

I didn't say that anyone said something bad about Joseph. Yall're unintentionally putting proverbial words in my mouth. All that I said was, you all need to give Joseph a break. That was a bad choice of words on my part. What I meant was, give him a break, as in, give him a chance to have! a break/stepping back time in his modding abilities. I didn't mean it as in, you all're being unfair to him, give the poor guy a break. Like I said, bad choice of words. Sorry about that.

I feel that Joseph was, and for the time being in the present still is a wonderful moderator, and though I'm saddened that he's leaving that role, realize that all things good come to an end sooner or later. It's just the nature of the fallen world.

Laz, I apologize to you and Joseph, as well as any others who may have felt that the way I stated things in that last message was accusative. I did not mean for it to come across as such, and in you all's credit of defense, I can see where you guys may have read that out of context, so forgive me.

Chris.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

@AHeart4God316

To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 10:33 AM

Laz

nor wish to be frankly.

for them.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

@AHeart4God316

smooth one.
Travis
#AdminNotice

Hi,

and the public.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

following blog post:

--

Like Joseph, I, too, just for the record used a bad choice of words.  For that, again, Laz and others, I apologize.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:50 PM

Hi Gene and others,

Perhaps I may have used a wrong word: when I talk about change of generation, what I really meant was the next group of enthusiasts. Sorry about the confusion.

As for concerns that I’ll be leaving this community: resignation doesn’t mean departure. I’ll still be around to answer questions, participating as a member and one of the code contributors to NVDA screen reader.

As for hashtag issue people were getting: all fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

Travis

Hi,

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

I kept thinking it is Michael even though I've seen the name in various messages.  I'm sorry about the error.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 10:25 AM

Hi Gene,
Just minorly correcting.
Thanks.

> um, Chris, no one has said anything bad about Joseph during this
> entire time. I have no idea where you're getting that idea but perhaps
> you should read things twice before you start bad mouthing people for
> absolutely no reason at all. At least go back and reread Gene's post.
>
> Laz
>
> On 3/23/16, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
>> Unlike Gene, and others, I must say I do not concur with them.  If
>> anything,
>> I actually am with Travis, AKA, Kwork, on this one.  Joseph has done a
>> magnificent job, and the fact that he was man enough to step up and say,
>> I
>> don't feel that I can do this anymore adiquitly took lots of courage!
>> I'm
>> very proud of him for being so honest and so up front, yet being so
>> respectful to all of us in how he did things.  To his credit, I think we
>> all
>> need to give Mr. Lee a bit of a break.  I really can tell in my heart
>> that
>> he truly, truly does care, and is trying his darndest, contrary to what a
>> lot of you all may think, or believe.
>>
>> He's not burnt out.  I had a member yesterday who will be 100% left
>> nameless, who called me at the phone number listed in my signature.
>>
>> He or she kept asking me over and over again if I felt Joseph was burned
>> out.  For the record, let me just say this.  I had planned today to talk
>> to
>> this person more if the questions continued, but honestly... look...
>> he/she
>> called me on my tech support line, and when I said I'm not here to play
>> the
>> middle man in this, go ask Joseph directly, go read his blog post which
>> explains everything of his reasonings, they didn't apparently do so.  I
>> have
>> no issue talking to others, including this member both as a friend, and as
>> a
>> business related thing, but don't! put me as the middle man, off business
>> hours or not.  That really put me in a very uncomfortable position
>> yesterday. I felt put on the immediate spot, as I didn't want to say
>> anything privately or publicly, and be taken as being rude, but I neither
>> wanted to  hold back and not say how I felt about things.
>>
>> I'm just a member of the list, and a fairly new one at that.  Just because
>> I
>> put my work phone number in my signature doesn't mean I did so, so that
>> people could call me about list admin duties.  I'm not a mod, nor an
>> admin,
>> nor wish to be frankly.
>>
>> My point is, if Joseph really were "burnt out," quote unquote, then don't
>> you think he probably wouldn't have been so willing to explain on his
>> blog?
>> He posted that link for a reason, and that reason wasn't to have people
>> just
>> ignore it, then later wonder.  It's the whole shoot and kill now, ask
>> questions later principle.  It shouldn't be that way.  Joseph gave you all
>> a
>> resource to look at, if you're wondering, so, for goodness sake, use it
>> if
>> you're wonderring.  I, shouldn't have to be the one to clear this up for
>> everyone on the list.  It's not my responsibility, nor my problem.
>>
>> Again, sorry to be so brutally direct about this statement, but I had to
>> say
>> something before this got more out of hand than it already has, and I beg
>> the admins' pardon for having to say this publicly with my utmost of
>> respect
>> for them.
>> ---
>> Christopher Gilland
>> JAWS Certified, 2016.
>> Training Instructor.
>>
>> clgilland07@...
>> Phone: (704) 256-8010 Extension 401.
>>   ----- Original Message -----
>>   From: Kwork
>>   To: nvda@groups.io
>>   Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 12:32 PM
>>   Subject: [nvda] qualifying to manage a list (stupid hash tags)
>>
>>
>>   Joseph, those are very good points on which to choose a new moderator.
>> I
>> think that another point is that they also need to be respected by the
>> majority of the list members where they will serve, and that's where the
>> on
>> list voting will help. The more that vote on this type of topic, the
>> greater
>> the chance that cooler heads will prevail, and the transition will be a
>> smooth one.
>>   Thank you, Joseph, for all the work you've done with NVDA, and this
>> list,
>> over the past three years.
>>   Travis
>>   From: Joseph Lee
>>   Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 11:19 PM
>>   Subject: [nvda] Follow-up: moderator qualifications #ModNotice
>> #AdminNotice
>>
>>
>>   Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>>   If you or someone you know fulfills all (yes, ALL) of the following
>> requirements, then please put forth your name or that person's name as
>> the
>> candidate for the new moderator (note that this isn't about head
>> moderator
>> position, and our current head moderator is Nimer Jaber):
>>
>>
>>
>>   1.       Have used NVDA for the past three years or more.
>>
>>   2.       Have been a member of this forum and other NVDA forums for the
>> past three years or more.
>>
>>   3.       Ability to communicate well, especially when confronting a
>> crisis
>> such as misbehaving members, off-topic messages and such.
>>
>>   4.       Ability to communicate kindly (and with humility) even in the
>> face of adversity (especially during arbitration hearing proceedings).
>>
>>   5.       Willingness to seek advice from moderators and members of this
>> forum when making list-wide decisions.
>>
>>   6.       Familiarity with Groups.IO administration controls.
>>
>>   7.       Ability to serve as a user-side advocate when talking to NV
>> Access and other NVDA developers.
>>
>>   8.       Ability to deliver important news from NV Access such as NVDA
>> release announcements in a timely manner.
>>
>>   9.       Willingness to step down from position of power when
>> appropriate
>> (recalled, on his or her own will and so on).
>>
>>   10.   Willingness to shower members of this list and the wider NVDA
>> community with love and mercy, including to misbehaving members.
>>
>>   11.   Having the servant's attitude (to serve, not to be served).
>>
>>   12.   Willingness to be accountable and answerable to members of this
>> list
>> and the public.
>>
>>   13.   Must be at least 21 years of age or older (or considered an adult
>> in
>> the country a candidate resides in).
>>
>>
>>
>>   Some of you may say, "look, these requirements are too hard." I believe
>> that, as a public face of this list (alongside other moderators and
>> members), you are responsible for the fate and reputation of this list,
>> and
>> in extension, NVDA community and NVDA screen reader itself. Thus only
>> applications from serious candidates will be accepted (applications will
>> be
>> accepted until early April, and election will be held by end of April so
>> the
>> new moderator can adjust to his or her new role throughout May).
>>
>>
>>
>>   Thank you.
>>
>>   Cheers,
>>
>>   Joseph
>>
>>   P.S. The reason for making these requirements tough is because of the
>> following blog post:
>>
>>
>> http://joslee22590.blogspot.com/2016/03/if-i-die-tonight-2-showering-forum.html?spref=tw
>>
>>   Although the post talks about head moderators, it applies to associate
>> moderators as well. Good luck.
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Affordably priced Accessible Talking MP3 Players, Accessible phones,
> Bluetooth devices, and accessories
> http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
> Email: laz@...
> Phone: 727-498-0121
> Skype: lazmesa
> Personal Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/laz.mesa
> Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Talkingmp3players?_rdr
>
>
>
>

--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah

Gene

Expressing respect is fine.  That still doesn't mean that an election is the way to select a moderator nor that disagreement should not be expressed.  Respect should not impede criticism offered in the proper spirit.

Gene

Hi Gene,
Just minorly correcting.
Thanks.

>
> Laz
>
>> anything,
>> I
>> I'm
>> all
>> that
>>
>>
>> to
>> he/she
>> the
>> have
>> a
>>
>> I
>> admin,
>>
>> blog?
>> just
>> a
>> if
>>
>> say
>> respect
>> for them.
>> ---
>> Christopher Gilland
>> JAWS Certified, 2016.
>> Training Instructor.
>>
>> clgilland07@...
>>
>>
>> I
>> on
>> greater
>> smooth one.
>> list,
>>   Travis
>> #AdminNotice
>>
>>
>>   Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> the
>> moderator
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> crisis
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> appropriate
>>
>>
>>
>> list
>> and the public.
>>
>> in
>>
>>
>>
>> and
>> be
>> the
>>
>>
>>
>>   Thank you.
>>
>>   Cheers,
>>
>>   Joseph
>>
>> following blog post:
>>
>>
>> http://joslee22590.blogspot.com/2016/03/if-i-die-tonight-2-showering-forum.html?spref=tw
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
>
>
>
>

--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah

No need to apologise, bro.  It's all good.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:33 PM

I kept thinking it is Michael even though I've seen the name in various messages.  I'm sorry about the error.

Gene

Hi Gene,
Just minorly correcting.
Thanks.

>
> Laz
>
>> anything,
>> I
>> I'm
>> all
>> that
>>
>>
>> to
>> he/she
>> the
>> have
>> a
>>
>> I
>> admin,
>>
>> blog?
>> just
>> a
>> if
>>
>> say
>> respect
>> for them.
>> ---
>> Christopher Gilland
>> JAWS Certified, 2016.
>> Training Instructor.
>>
>> clgilland07@...
>>
>>
>> I
>> on
>> greater
>> smooth one.
>> list,
>>   Travis
>> #AdminNotice
>>
>>
>>   Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> the
>> moderator
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> crisis
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> appropriate
>>
>>
>>
>> list
>> and the public.
>>
>> in
>>
>>
>>
>> and
>> be
>> the
>>
>>
>>
>>   Thank you.
>>
>>   Cheers,
>>
>>   Joseph
>>
>> following blog post:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
>
>
>
>

--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah

laura cornwell <lauracornwell1@...>

Is your server still down? and I would like to talk to you bothas a friend please this isso nice that you are willing to help where you can.

On 3/23/2016 12:38 PM, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:
No need to apologise, bro.  It's all good.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:33 PM

Gene

Hi Gene,
Just minorly correcting.
Thanks.

>
> Laz
>
>> anything,
>> I
>> I'm
>> all
>> that
>>
>>
>> to
>> he/she
>> the
>> have
>> a
>>
>> I
>> admin,
>>
>> blog?
>> just
>> a
>> if
>>
>> say
>> respect
>> for them.
>> ---
>> Christopher Gilland
>> JAWS Certified, 2016.
>> Training Instructor.
>>
>> clgilland07@...
>>
>>
>> I
>> on
>> greater
>> smooth one.
>> list,
>>   Travis
>> #AdminNotice
>>
>>
>>   Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>> the
>> moderator
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> crisis
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> appropriate
>>
>>
>>
>> list
>> and the public.
>>
>> in
>>
>>
>>
>> and
>> be
>> the
>>
>>
>>
>>   Thank you.
>>
>>   Cheers,
>>
>>   Joseph
>>
>> following blog post:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
>
>
>
>

--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah

Gene

I'm glad you clarified the issue. 

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:50 AM

Hi Gene and others,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

Travis

Hi,

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Lino Morales

Laz email me off list at:
lino_and_rico@windstream
Thanks.

On 3/23/2016 10:33 AM, Laz wrote:

Laz

nor wish to be frankly.

for them.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

@AHeart4God316

smooth one.
Travis
#AdminNotice

Hi,

and the public.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

following blog post:

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>

I did not read it like that at all. The point is it would be great in my organisation if I could get volunteers who were young to help out, but you can't.

Besides Joseph is hardly old, I took it to mean that people should not stay in place for ever and others should have a chance. If I had the time and the actual ability, I'd do it. I used to do moderation back in the 1980s before the Internet, when it was all on a viewdata platform, but I was younger,the world was simpler, I could see reasonably and nobody knew the right way back then.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:17 PM

I did not and I went out of my way to say, that I was not criticizing Michael lee for stepping down. I criticized the reasons he gave and pointed out that that reason implies that younger members might be considered for the position while older people might not be because they are not and cannot be part of the generational shift. If most people resigned from things because they were in their late twenties or early thirties, we would lose most of the experience and knowledge that comes with age. If most of us resigned because we were worried about who would carry on if some mishap happened to us, then everyone would have to resign from everything because a mishap can happen to anyone. That's why there are procedures that institutions have for filling a vacancy left by death or disability.

If Michael Lee wants to resign, that's his decision. I did not criticize that decision.

Gene

Unlike Gene, and others, I must say I do not concur with them. If anything, I actually am with Travis, AKA, Kwork, on this one. Joseph has done a magnificent job, and the fact that he was man enough to step up and say, I don't feel that I can do this anymore adiquitly took lots of courage! I'm very proud of him for being so honest and so up front, yet being so respectful to all of us in how he did things. To his credit, I think we all need to give Mr. Lee a bit of a break. I really can tell in my heart that he truly, truly does care, and is trying his darndest, contrary to what a lot of you all may think, or believe.

He's not burnt out. I had a member yesterday who will be 100% left nameless, who called me at the phone number listed in my signature.

He or she kept asking me over and over again if I felt Joseph was burned out. For the record, let me just say this. I had planned today to talk to this person more if the questions continued, but honestly... look... he/she called me on my tech support line, and when I said I'm not here to play the middle man in this, go ask Joseph directly, go read his blog post which explains everything of his reasonings, they didn't apparently do so. I have no issue talking to others, including this member both as a friend, and as a business related thing, but don't! put me as the middle man, off business hours or not. That really put me in a very uncomfortable position yesterday. I felt put on the immediate spot, as I didn't want to say anything privately or publicly, and be taken as being rude, but I neither wanted to hold back and not say how I felt about things.

I'm just a member of the list, and a fairly new one at that. Just because I put my work phone number in my signature doesn't mean I did so, so that people could call me about list admin duties. I'm not a mod, nor an admin, nor wish to be frankly.

My point is, if Joseph really were "burnt out," quote unquote, then don't you think he probably wouldn't have been so willing to explain on his blog? He posted that link for a reason, and that reason wasn't to have people just ignore it, then later wonder. It's the whole shoot and kill now, ask questions later principle. It shouldn't be that way. Joseph gave you all a resource to look at, if you're wondering, so, for goodness sake, use it if you're wonderring. I, shouldn't have to be the one to clear this up for everyone on the list. It's not my responsibility, nor my problem.

---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

@AHeart4God316

Travis

Hi,

If you or someone you know fulfills all (yes, ALL) of the following requirements, then please put forth your name or that person's name as the candidate for the new moderator (note that this isn't about head moderator position, and our current head moderator is Nimer Jaber):

2. Have been a member of this forum and other NVDA forums for the past three years or more.

3. Ability to communicate well, especially when confronting a crisis such as misbehaving members, off-topic messages and such.

4. Ability to communicate kindly (and with humility) even in the face of adversity (especially during arbitration hearing proceedings).

5. Willingness to seek advice from moderators and members of this forum when making list-wide decisions.

7. Ability to serve as a user-side advocate when talking to NV Access and other NVDA developers.

8. Ability to deliver important news from NV Access such as NVDA release announcements in a timely manner.

9. Willingness to step down from position of power when appropriate (recalled, on his or her own will and so on).

10. Willingness to shower members of this list and the wider NVDA community with love and mercy, including to misbehaving members.

12. Willingness to be accountable and answerable to members of this list and the public.

13. Must be at least 21 years of age or older (or considered an adult in the country a candidate resides in).

Some of you may say, "look, these requirements are too hard." I believe that, as a public face of this list (alongside other moderators and members), you are responsible for the fate and reputation of this list, and in extension, NVDA community and NVDA screen reader itself. Thus only applications from serious candidates will be accepted (applications will be accepted until early April, and election will be held by end of April so the new moderator can adjust to his or her new role throughout May).

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>

Yes I sent you the mail as it was confusing. Incidentally as these are called hashtags, presumably due to the # sign, the why is nvda still calling this number?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 4:50 PM

Hi Gene and others,

Perhaps I may have used a wrong word: when I talk about change of
generation, what I really meant was the next group of enthusiasts. Sorry
about the confusion.

As for concerns that I'll be leaving this community: resignation doesn't
mean departure. I'll still be around to answer questions, participating as a
member and one of the code contributors to NVDA screen reader.

As for hashtag issue people were getting: all fixed. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

Cheers,

Joseph

Subject: Re: Very concerned, was: [nvda] qualifying to manage a list (stupid
hash tags)

I did not and I went out of my way to say, that I was not criticizing
Michael lee for stepping down. I criticized the reasons he gave and pointed
out that that reason implies that younger members might be considered for
the position while older people might not be because they are not and cannot
be part of the generational shift. If most people resigned from things
because they were in their late twenties or early thirties, we would lose
most of the experience and knowledge that comes with age. If most of us
resigned because we were worried about who would carry on if some mishap
happened to us, then everyone would have to resign from everything because a
mishap can happen to anyone. That's why there are procedures that
institutions have for filling a vacancy left by death or disability.

If Michael Lee wants to resign, that's his decision. I did not criticize
that decision.

Gene

To: nvda@groups.io <mailto:nvda@groups.io>

Subject: Re: Very concerned, was: [nvda] qualifying to manage a list (stupid
hash tags)

nor wish to be frankly.

for them.

---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

@AHeart4God316 <mailto:@AHeart4God316>

smooth one.

Travis

Hi,

2. Have been a member of this forum and other NVDA forums for the past
three years or more.

4. Ability to communicate kindly (and with humility) even in the face
of adversity (especially during arbitration hearing proceedings).

7. Ability to serve as a user-side advocate when talking to NV Access
and other NVDA developers.

and the public.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

following blog post:

http://joslee22590.blogspot.com/2016/03/if-i-die-tonight-2-showering-forum.h
tml?spref=tw