visited links

Monte Single

Hi List,

I have some web pages that I visit weekly, like grocery flyers.

How do I stop nvda from saying, “visited link”

OK, tell me the answer, then you can stone me.

Cheers,

Mont

What are you proposing NVDA announce?

Generally you get "link" for a link that you've never visited and "visited link" for something you've actually "clicked through" to visit before.

In NVDA and other screen readers there are generally navigation shortcuts that allow you to go straight to links you've visited before versus unvisited links along with a visitation agnostic shortcut.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Gene

In what screen-reader?

Gene

On 6/2/2022 1:23 PM, Monte Single wrote:

Hi List,

I have some web pages that I visit weekly, like grocery flyers.

How do I stop nvda from saying, “visited link”

OK, tell me the answer, then you can stone me.

Cheers,

Mont

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 02:33 PM, Gene wrote:
In what screen-reader?
-
Original query, verbatim:  How do I stop nvda from saying, “visited link”

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Gene

I didn't notice the message went to the NVDA list.  You can disregard my last question.

I had thought in document formatting, there was a setting about whether visited would be announced but I don't find one.  You can use the speech dictionary to have the word visited not be spoken but that will mean that you won't hear it when it appears in text as well.

Gene

On 6/2/2022 1:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
What are you proposing NVDA announce?

Generally you get "link" for a link that you've never visited and "visited link" for something you've actually "clicked through" to visit before.

In NVDA and other screen readers there are generally navigation shortcuts that allow you to go straight to links you've visited before versus unvisited links along with a visitation agnostic shortcut.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Monte Single

Thanks for not stoneing me, but I do not want to lose the word visited entirely.

I didn't notice the message went to the NVDA list.  You can disregard my last question.

I had thought in document formatting, there was a setting about whether visited would be announced but I don't find one.  You can use the speech dictionary to have the word visited not be spoken but that will mean that you won't hear it when it appears in text as well.

Gene

On 6/2/2022 1:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

What are you proposing NVDA announce?

Generally you get "link" for a link that you've never visited and "visited link" for something you've actually "clicked through" to visit before.

In NVDA and other screen readers there are generally navigation shortcuts that allow you to go straight to links you've visited before versus unvisited links along with a visitation agnostic shortcut.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Sarah k Alawami

You can hit u to go to unvisited links and v to go to visited links. This has helped me on canvas where I take some of my courses.

[...]

In this instance, I am moving in alist of groceries in a weekly flyer.

When I use the up and down arrows to move through the list, nvda says “visited link”

I do not want to hear “visited link”  each time I land and another item.

Every time, it says “ visited link before it says the name of the item; e.g.,

:visited link, rec apples”

Just too much visiting.

Cheers,

Mont

Generally you get "link" for a link that you've never visited and "visited link" for something you've actually "clicked through" to visit before.

In NVDA and other screen readers there are generally navigation shortcuts that allow you to go straight to links you've visited before versus unvisited links along with a visitation agnostic shortcut.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Have a look under the document formatting section in nvda one of the elements is links uncheck the box then save the settings.

You should not hear the reporting of links either visited or not.

Gene nz

On 3/06/2022 6:57 am, Monte Single wrote:

In this instance, I am moving in alist of groceries in a weekly flyer.

When I use the up and down arrows to move through the list, nvda says “visited link”

I do not want to hear “visited link”  each time I land and another item.

Every time, it says “ visited link before it says the name of the item; e.g.,

:visited link, rec apples”

Just too much visiting.

Cheers,

Mont

Generally you get "link" for a link that you've never visited and "visited link" for something you've actually "clicked through" to visit before.

In NVDA and other screen readers there are generally navigation shortcuts that allow you to go straight to links you've visited before versus unvisited links along with a visitation agnostic shortcut.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Monte Single

OK,

I went to page formatting and under the “elements” section I unchecked links links.  No more  “visited links”

So, is there a toggle I can use to turn this off and on without  going to the  “document page formatting”?

I have some web pages that I visit weekly, like grocery flyers.

How do I stop nvda from saying, “visited link”

OK, tell me the answer, then you can stone me.

Cheers,

Mont

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Have a look under the input gestures section in nvda there is a section for document formatting locate the one for links then asign it a shortcut to turn it on or off the reporting of links.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 3/06/2022 7:07 am, Monte Single wrote:

OK,

I went to page formatting and under the “elements” section I unchecked links links.  No more  “visited links”

So, is there a toggle I can use to turn this off and on without  going to the  “document page formatting”?

I have some web pages that I visit weekly, like grocery flyers.

How do I stop nvda from saying, “visited link”

OK, tell me the answer, then you can stone me.

Cheers,

Mont

Monte Single

Oh, Alice,

Curiouser and curiouser.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 02:47 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
You can hit u to go to unvisited links and v to go to visited links.
-
And K to go to the next link, whether it's visited or not visited.

Sarah, since you appear to use the visited and unvisited link commands with some frequency, does NVDA announce the link state when they are being used?  I'd hope not, as it's superfluous to tell the user they've landed on a visited link when they used the visited link keyboard shortcut to arrive there.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Gene

Try tabbing instead or using the k command.  If you move in certain ways, NVDA announces visited first and if you move other ways, it says visited after the text is read.  Once you see which way causes the text to be spoken first, you can move to the next link once you have heard the item announced and not have to hear visited or move as soon as you hear visited start to be spoken.

Gene

On 6/2/2022 1:57 PM, Monte Single wrote:

In this instance, I am moving in alist of groceries in a weekly flyer.

When I use the up and down arrows to move through the list, nvda says “visited link”

I do not want to hear “visited link”  each time I land and another item.

Every time, it says “ visited link before it says the name of the item; e.g.,

:visited link, rec apples”

Just too much visiting.

Cheers,

Mont

Generally you get "link" for a link that you've never visited and "visited link" for something you've actually "clicked through" to visit before.

In NVDA and other screen readers there are generally navigation shortcuts that allow you to go straight to links you've visited before versus unvisited links along with a visitation agnostic shortcut.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Gene

If you do that, you will not hear the word link spoken when a link is encountered.  That is not what is wanted.

[...]

Hi Gene

If it is the speaking of visited before or after a link nvda can not do that.

I know with some screen readers you can do that but does not bother me.

With the reporting of links turned off he will not hear the visited what ever link it is

Even pressing v for visited link will not say it either or U for unvisited link.

He also asked if the reporting of links can not remember if visited only be turned off but the only option is either on or off.

Other wise I do not really get what the question is or I read it wrong.

Gene nz

On 3/06/2022 7:38 am, Gene wrote:
[...]

I believe it does actually. I actually find no problems with that as often I forget so to hear that spoken when I hit v or u, or k,  is a big help. Other screen readers do this too.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 02:47 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

You can hit u to go to unvisited links and v to go to visited links.

-
And K to go to the next link, whether it's visited or not visited.

Sarah, since you appear to use the visited and unvisited link commands with some frequency, does NVDA announce the link state when they are being used?  I'd hope not, as it's superfluous to tell the user they've landed on a visited link when they used the visited link keyboard shortcut to arrive there.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Ali Colak

I think the closest you can come to what you want is to press f7 for a
list of elements and check the links radio buttons, it will show you
all the links, and tell you if you've visited them or not at the end
instead of the beginning, so you will be able to hear the links
without the visitted announcement interfearing. Ther seems to be no
way of illiminating it entirely, but keeping it from interfearing is
possible.

On 6/2/22, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:
Hi List,

I have some web pages that I visit weekly, like grocery flyers.

How do I stop nvda from saying, "visited link"

OK, tell me the answer, then you can stone me.

Cheers,

Mont

I don't know what website or web browser that Monte is using, but it's possible to delete browsing history for a single site in most browsers, though the exact technique varies by browser.

This resets all links for that site to unvisited status.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Howard Traxler

could be changed from (four sylable) "visited link"
to (two sylable) "VLink"

Just a thought.

Howard

On 6/2/2022 1:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
What are you proposing NVDA announce?

Generally you get "link" for a link that you've never visited and "visited link" for something you've actually "clicked through" to visit before.

In NVDA and other screen readers there are generally navigation shortcuts that allow you to go straight to links you've visited before versus unvisited links along with a visitation agnostic shortcut.

*/Tolerance is the positive and cordial effort to understand another's beliefs, practices, and habits without necessarily sharing or accepting them./*

        ~ Joshua Liebman