Topics

Visual indicator of NVDA cursor location?

Luke Robinett

When I am sharing my screen with remote colleagues via Skype or I just have a coworker looking over my shoulder as we work together on something, it’s hard for sighted folks to follow along with me because I’m not using the mouse. Is there a way to enable some sort of visual indicator of the NVDA cursor so sighted people can follow along as we navigate?

Yes, there absolutely is.

Prior to version 2019.3 one can use the Focus Highlight Add-On.  See:  Focus Highlight
on the NVDA Add-Ons Page.

This functionality appears to have been pulled into the NVDA core functionality as of 2019.3.  If you open NVDA Preferences, Settings, Vision and tab over into the pane you'll find the Focus Highlight functionality there, with checkboxes for what you wish to have highlighted.  NVDA+N,P,S,V then Tab over into the dialog.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

Jacob Kruger

Under NVDA settings, find the vision category, and, besides toggling
screen curtain, there's also now the focus highlight option, which used
to be an add-on, but, now seems to be built in, and, offers exactly that
- highlighting what we're focused on?

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2020-02-13 04:47 AM, Luke Robinett wrote:
> When I am sharing my screen with remote colleagues via Skype or I just have a coworker looking over my shoulder as we work together on something, it’s hard for sighted folks to follow along with me because I’m not using the mouse. Is there a way to enable some sort of visual indicator of the NVDA cursor so sighted people can follow along as we navigate?
>
>

Luke Robinett

Excellent! thanks guys. I’ve held off on updating to the latest version to allow some time for initial bugs to get ironed out etc. That would explain why I wasn’t finding that setting. Haha. Thanks again 

On Feb 12, 2020, at 11:37 PM, Jacob Kruger <jacob@...> wrote:

Under NVDA settings, find the vision category, and, besides toggling
screen curtain, there's also now the focus highlight option, which used
to be an add-on, but, now seems to be built in, and, offers exactly that
- highlighting what we're focused on?

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."
On 2020-02-13 04:47 AM, Luke Robinett wrote:
> When I am sharing my screen with remote colleagues via Skype or I just have a coworker looking over my shoulder as we work together on something, it’s hard for sighted folks to follow along with me because I’m not using the mouse. Is there a way to enable some sort of visual indicator of the NVDA cursor so sighted people can follow along as we navigate?
>
>