Topics

voice pronounciation

anthony borg

Hi folks
I am using with NVDA screen reader one of the microsoft voices mark, my
problem is, that it doesn't pronounce the letter H when it part of a word.
Is there a way in NVDA how I can correct it please?
Thanks in advance

Anthony

Giles Turnbull

Hi anthony,

short of adding phonetic pronunciations of words into the NVDA default or voice dictionaries - something I frequently do becuase, living in Wales, there are lots of words that synth voices don't know how to pronounce, I am unaware of any way to adjust what a synth voice says. The other thing that complicates matters is that the letter h is often effectively silent due to its usual mid-word pairing with other letters that provide the actual sound .. ch, th, sh ...

But, I tried using the Mark voice and cannot replicate your missing h sounds whether they appear at the start of the word ... all h's in the following sentence sound correct when I use Mark at speed 75 on my Asus laptop:
hello all this is a hotel in Honolulu  and I was very happy here this Halloween full of horrible ghosts

And I also tried to think of words where an h appears mid-word with a sound of its own and came up with one from my chemistry student days, anhydrous, and it pronounced that fine too!

Sorry that's no hlpe ... have you tried using a USB soundcard to see if that changes the pronunciation? I presume other voices manage the h sound that Mark is missing?

Giles

Chris Mullins

Hi Anthony
I have tried this voice and cannot reproduce any situations where it doesn't
pronounce the letter h. If it is a local word then it may have an unusual
way of being pronounced, in whichcase you can use NVDA
menu/Preferences/Speech dictionaries/voice dictionary to specify the
mispronounced word and a replacement word written in such a way as you make
it sound the way you want it to sound. Once defined, that word wil be
spoken as you havespecified when encountered in text using NVDA.

Cheers
Chris

I am using with NVDA screen reader one of the microsoft voices mark, my
problem is, that it doesn't pronounce the letter H when it part of a word.
Is there a way in NVDA how I can correct it please?
Thanks in advance

Anthony

anthony borg

hi chris
no it is an english word. Thank you very much for the info.
Regards

anthony

I am using with NVDA screen reader one of the microsoft voices mark, my
problem is, that it doesn't pronounce the letter H when it part of a word.
Is there a way in NVDA how I can correct it please?
Thanks in advance

Anthony

Jim Pipczak

Hi,

Are you saying it's every word with the letter H in it? Try a different voice to see if it is the voice or something else.

Jim