From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of janet
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 10:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Voices With NVDA Question Please.

Hi Everyone,

While I'm trying to get used to NVDA, as I am coming from JAWS after 30 years. I like it so far, but I have more to learn about it.

My question is what is the name of the male voice that first comes on when installing NVDA? I like that voice, if I could only speed up the voice, I would like that even better! I am currently using Zira not sure of the spelling or the name though. I do like that voice also. Is the Zira voice from Windows?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Arlene

Hi, I’m not sure who it is. I like it as well.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

While I'm trying to get used to NVDA, as I am coming from JAWS after 30 years. I like it so far, but I have more to learn about it.

My question is what is the name of the male voice that first comes on when installing NVDA? I like that voice, if I could only speed up the voice, I would like that even better!  I am currently using Zira not sure of the spelling or the name though.  I do like that voice also.  Is the Zira voice from Windows?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Monte Single

The male voice you hear when nvda first started, might be David. It and the Zira voice are both part of the micro soft 1core voiceds that come with win10.

While I'm trying to get used to NVDA, as I am coming from JAWS after 30 years. I like it so far, but I have more to learn about it.

My question is what is the name of the male voice that first comes on when installing NVDA? I like that voice, if I could only speed up the voice, I would like that even better! I am currently using Zira not sure of the spelling or the name though. I do like that voice also. Is the Zira voice from Windows?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Arlene

Oh, okay. The earlier NVDA voice that was used 2010 or earlier sounded awful.  I got used to it. Then I guess maybe 2017 or something. It got better.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The male voice  you hear  when nvda  first started, might be David.  It and the Zira voice are both part of the micro soft 1core voiceds that come with win10.

While I'm trying to get used to NVDA, as I am coming from JAWS after 30 years. I like it so far, but I have more to learn about it.

My question is what is the name of the male voice that first comes on when installing NVDA? I like that voice, if I could only speed up the voice, I would like that even better!  I am currently using Zira not sure of the spelling or the name though.  I do like that voice also.  Is the Zira voice from Windows?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Gene

One point asked about in the original message is how to speed up the voice.  I don’t have Windows 10 and so I can’t describe how you speed it up in Windows 10.  To speed it up in NVDA, open the voice dialog, NVDA key control v, tab to rate, and right arrow until the slider is at the speed you want or at maximum.

You will likely want the speech to be faster and this discussion explains how to do it in Windows itself.  I don’t use Windows 10 and I can’t discuss how it is done.  If you have questions, you may ask here, of course.

[...]

janet

Hi Monte,
I don't think it is David because I listened to David, Zira,Mark, and they all sound different from each other, and the voice I am talking about sounds completely different from all three of those voices.
Janet

The male voice you hear when nvda first started, might be David. It and the Zira voice are both part of the micro soft 1core voiceds that come with win10.

While I'm trying to get used to NVDA, as I am coming from JAWS after 30 years. I like it so far, but I have more to learn about it.

My question is what is the name of the male voice that first comes on when installing NVDA? I like that voice, if I could only speed up the voice, I would like that even better! I am currently using Zira not sure of the spelling or the name though. I do like that voice also. Is the Zira voice from Windows?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

janet

Hi Gene,

The problem I have with raising the voice, is I can’t find the voice in order to change the rate though.  I can only find the three voices David, Zira, Mark, and I can change the rate for either of them, just not the voice I hear when I turn on NVDA.

Janet

[...]

Hi Arlene,

I like the voice too.  It sounds very clear and natural.

Janet

Hi, I’m not sure who it is. I like it as well.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

While I'm trying to get used to NVDA, as I am coming from JAWS after 30 years. I like it so far, but I have more to learn about it.

My question is what is the name of the male voice that first comes on when installing NVDA? I like that voice, if I could only speed up the voice, I would like that even better!  I am currently using Zira not sure of the spelling or the name though.  I do like that voice also.  Is the Zira voice from Windows?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Gene

I don’t know what voice that is.  Are you saying that when you run NVDA, you hear a certain voice and if you change it, you can’t get back to it?

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Could it be a British voice?

On 7/15/2021 3:39 PM, janet wrote:
[...]

He does sound clear.  In the Microsoft voices in Jaws. I think it’s there too.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I like the voice too.  It sounds very clear and natural.

Janet

Hi, I’m not sure who it is. I like it as well.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

While I'm trying to get used to NVDA, as I am coming from JAWS after 30 years. I like it so far, but I have more to learn about it.

My question is what is the name of the male voice that first comes on when installing NVDA? I like that voice, if I could only speed up the voice, I would like that even better!  I am currently using Zira not sure of the spelling or the name though.  I do like that voice also.  Is the Zira voice from Windows?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Janet

Peace Be With You.

Arlene

No, I don’t think so.  The earlier versions of NVDA I think the voice was british.  He sounded like he was in a tin can.  Could be just me.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> I don't think it is David because I listened to David, Zira,Mark, and they all sound different from each other, and the voice I am talking about sounds completely different from all three of those voices.

> Janet

I just installed NVDA 2021.1 and I'll bet my bottom dollar that the voice now used by the installer is Microsoft David, which is a Microsoft OneCore Voice.

I use David as my voice with NVDA, but at a slightly faster rate, and if it's not Microsoft David it's so close that using MS David would probably suit anyone who likes that installer voice.

      ~ Brian Vogel

janet

Gene,

When I first downloded and installed NVDA 2021.1, I tried three other voices just to hear what they sounded like.  Now, I can’t find the voice that was there when I first installed NVDA.  Although, even now as soon as I turn on my Windows 10 Laptop and NVDA, I do hear the voice that I like, but only for a second, and then the other voice Zira comes in which I am currently using, and the voice I like I don’t hear anymore.  Kind of strange!  LOL!  I’m thinking the voice I like might be the NVDA original voice, just a thought.

Janet

[...]

Hi, Janet,

I think Max is the original voice that's in NVDA.

Rosemarie

On 7/15/2021 3:56 PM, janet wrote:

[...]

Hi Brian,

Ok, I am now going to try and listen to David again, just to see just how close those two voices sound.  Give me a few minutes, and I will report back.

Janet

I just installed NVDA 2021.1 and I'll bet my bottom dollar that the voice now used by the installer is Microsoft David, which is a Microsoft OneCore Voice.

I use David as my voice with NVDA, but at a slightly faster rate, and if it's not Microsoft David it's so close that using MS David would probably suit anyone who likes that installer voice.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

I don’t know if it is a voice or a variant.  Do you know about variants and how to see different ones?  I don’t use One Core voices but if they have variants, pick a voice, tab I  believe once, then move up and down and see if there are variants.  When you tab to the vfield, you should hear variant spoken.  If you don’t, you aren’t in the right place or the One Core voices don’t have them.  Others who have One Core voices can discuss that further.

[...]

Hi, Gene,

I don't think the one-core voice havevariants. The E-speak voices are the ones that variants.

Rosemarie

On 7/15/2021 4:05 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Ok, I finally got my Laptop turned on, and I tried the voices especially David, and the voice I am talking about and the voice of David, are as different as day and night.  I turned JAWS, NVDA off, and I turned on Narrator, and the voice I am talking about and Narrator sound very very similar.  Could this be possible?

Janet