locked want to read short lines, not full paragraphs

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>

I thought that I used to be able to hit the down arrow and go from line to line in a text.  When I hit the down or up arrow in a document now, I hear an entire paragraph, or definitely something longer than a line of text. I was told to try control-down-arrow to give me that short line sound,
but it did not work.

I need a line of text at a time, as I do a lot of proofreading with speech and punctuation on.  I must have done something to change a setting that would go from line to line, but I don't know what I did.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Penny

pengold2@...

Gene

Control down arrow has been for a long time, the move by paragraph command in Windows programs where you move through text.  Your advice was completely the opposite of  what is the case.  Just down arrow is move by line.

But we don't know what program you are having the problem with.  In general, programs like Notepad and Word have a feature called word wrap.  If it is off, you might move with the down or up arrow and hear a lot of text spoken.  If you tell us which program you are using, we can tell you how to turn word wrap on.

It makes the length of lines you move by a certain length no matter how long the lines actually are.

Gene

On 6/11/2022 4:44 AM, Penny Golden wrote:
I thought that I used to be able to hit the down arrow and go from line to line in a text.  When I hit the down or up arrow in a document now, I hear an entire paragraph, or definitely something longer than a line of text. I was told to try  control-down-arrow to give me that short line sound,
but it did not work.
I need a line of text at a time, as I do a lot of proofreading with speech and punctuation on.  I must have done something to change a setting that would go from line to line, but I don't know what I did.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Penny

pengold2@...

Luke Davis

Penny Golden wrote:

I thought that I used to be able to hit the down arrow and go from line to line in a text.  When I hit the down or up arrow in a document now, I hear an entire paragraph, or definitely something longer than a line of text. I was
As Gene asked: where is this happening? That makes a huge difference to the answer.

If this is happening in a web browser, or in browse mode in Word: open the NVDA browse mode settings, by pressing NVDA+Ctrl+B. One of the early items is the number of characters on a line.
Try lowering this number, then pressing enter.

That might solve your problem, if the environment is something using browse mode.

Otherwise we come to line wrapping, as Gene talked about.

Luke

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>

This long-line stuff is happening when I am in a note pad.

I can transfer lovely emails over to notepad and the down-arrow then does huge long lines.

I think I reduced the length of the line but it may be that the email application of this is different from  just text reading in notepad.

I'll check it out.

I haven't seen Gene's response.  but I thank you all for any help you can give this old lady user.

Penny

On 6/11/2022 11:03 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
Penny Golden wrote:

I thought that I used to be able to hit the down arrow and go from line to line in a text.  When I hit the down or up arrow in a document now, I hear an entire paragraph, or definitely something longer than a line of text. I was
As Gene asked: where is this happening? That makes a huge difference to the answer.

If this is happening in a web browser, or in browse mode in Word: open the NVDA browse mode settings, by pressing NVDA+Ctrl+B. One of the early items is the number of characters on a line.
Try lowering this number, then pressing enter.

That might solve your problem, if the environment is something using browse mode.

Otherwise we come to line wrapping, as Gene talked about.

Luke

Gene

Turn on word wrap and the problem will be solved.  Do the following:
Open the format menu with alt o.
You are already on word wrap when the menu opens.
Press the space bar to check it.
Word wrap doesn't affect the actual document but it causes it to be displayed so that new lines begin in the display when the text reaches the right side of the screen.  Therefore, the lines you move through should be about what you are used to.

Gene

Penny Golden wrote:

This long-line stuff is happening when I am in a note pad.
Open the view menu (Alt+V I believe), and press enter on "line wrap".

If you are doing any kind of professional editing though, Notepad is not your friend.
MS Word would be a far better alternative.

Luke

Luke Davis

Luke Davis wrote:

Open the view menu (Alt+V I believe), and press enter on "line wrap".
Ignore my advice above, and use Gene's of pressing Alt+O. That's what I get for trusting the top hit on Google.
Sorry to mislead you.

I use notepad mainly when I specifically don't want word wrap, therefore have never tried to turn it on. So I thought I'll grab it from google rather than powering up a Windows machine to check. Bzzzzt.

Luke

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>

Yes, Gene, I expect down arrow to run by line; control-down arrow to go by paragraph.

but my documents still read in wide paragraph swaths with my down arrow.

I figured that the control down arrow was the wrong advice, but I cited it only to show what had been said.

On 6/11/2022 10:37 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I have pressed alt-o in a lot of places; emails, documents, etc., and no menu comes up.

I do not hear: format menu.  Gene, I know I'm kind of dense; but what am I missing?

Thanks.

Blessings,

Penny

Penny Golden wrote:

I thought that I used to be able to hit the down arrow and go from line to line in a text.  When I hit the down or up arrow in a document now, I hear an entire paragraph, or definitely something longer than a line of text. I was

As Gene asked: where is this happening? That makes a huge difference to the answer.

If this is happening in a web browser, or in browse mode in Word: open the NVDA browse mode settings, by pressing NVDA+Ctrl+B. One of the early items is the number of characters on a line.
Try lowering this number, then pressing enter.

That might solve your problem, if the environment is something using browse mode.

Otherwise we come to line wrapping, as Gene talked about.

Luke

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>

I thank you. I have found it. I went over and opened a document. when I hit the alt-V three options were there. the third one down was word-wrap.  and it is now on.  Somehow It must have gotten turned off, for the long-line problem had not always been there.

As to the editing, I can comb out a lot of typing errors and such; I can make a document ready for the close reading of a braille perusal.

I am ever-so-grateful to you.

Do I have to purchase MS Word?  Or is it built in to win 11.

Thanks.

On 6/11/2022 12:21 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Penny Golden wrote:

This long-line stuff is happening when I am in a note pad.
Open the view menu (Alt+V I believe), and press enter on "line wrap".

If you are doing any kind of professional editing though, Notepad is not your friend.
MS Word would be a far better alternative.

Luke

.

Gene

Be in Notepad and use alt o.

Gene

Penny Golden wrote:

I thought that I used to be able to hit the down arrow and go from line to line in a text.  When I hit the down or up arrow in a document now, I hear an entire paragraph, or definitely something longer than a line of text. I was

As Gene asked: where is this happening? That makes a huge difference to the answer.

If this is happening in a web browser, or in browse mode in Word: open the NVDA browse mode settings, by pressing NVDA+Ctrl+B. One of the early items is the number of characters on a line.
Try lowering this number, then pressing enter.

That might solve your problem, if the environment is something using browse mode.

Otherwise we come to line wrapping, as Gene talked about.

Luke

Penny Golden <pengold2@...>

Thanks, Gene.  I have a lot to learn.

Penny

Penny Golden wrote:

I thought that I used to be able to hit the down arrow and go from line to line in a text.  When I hit the down or up arrow in a document now, I hear an entire paragraph, or definitely something longer than a line of text. I was

As Gene asked: where is this happening? That makes a huge difference to the answer.

If this is happening in a web browser, or in browse mode in Word: open the NVDA browse mode settings, by pressing NVDA+Ctrl+B. One of the early items is the number of characters on a line.
Try lowering this number, then pressing enter.

That might solve your problem, if the environment is something using browse mode.

Otherwise we come to line wrapping, as Gene talked about.

Luke

Gene

It appears Notepad has changed in Windows 11.  I don't know how it has changed but in Windows 7 through ten and perhaps earlier, there wasn't a view menu.  My instructions are correct for Windows 10 but now that I know that Notepad has changed in Windows 11, I won't answer questions about it if Windows 11 is being used.

Gene

Penny Golden wrote:

This long-line stuff is happening when I am in a note pad.
Open the view menu (Alt+V I believe), and press enter on "line wrap".

If you are doing any kind of professional editing though, Notepad is not your friend.
MS Word would be a far better alternative.

Luke

.

Gene

I learned something just now.  I got suspicious when you said a different method worked to find word wrap.  I did a Google search and found that Notepad has changed in Windows 11 but I don't know details.

You may have a lot to learn but I learn new things regularly.

Gene

Penny Golden wrote:

I thought that I used to be able to hit the down arrow and go from line to line in a text.  When I hit the down or up arrow in a document now, I hear an entire paragraph, or definitely something longer than a line of text. I was

As Gene asked: where is this happening? That makes a huge difference to the answer.

If this is happening in a web browser, or in browse mode in Word: open the NVDA browse mode settings, by pressing NVDA+Ctrl+B. One of the early items is the number of characters on a line.
Try lowering this number, then pressing enter.

That might solve your problem, if the environment is something using browse mode.

Otherwise we come to line wrapping, as Gene talked about.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

You need to get the subscription, at least that' is what I would recommend. You get 1tb of one drive storage and more. Discuss that though on the Microsoft office group  for which there is  a link in this group’s archives.

----

I hereby vow to follow the admins creed. Work smarter not harder. If I can get the user to do what they need to do themselves, then I have done my job.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

I thank you. I have found it. I went over and opened a document. when I hit the alt-V three options were there. the third one down was word-wrap.  and it is now on.  Somehow It must have gotten turned off, for the long-line problem had not always been there.

As to the editing, I can comb out a lot of typing errors and such; I can make a document ready for the close reading of a braille perusal.

I am ever-so-grateful to you.

Do I have to purchase MS Word?  Or is it built in to win 11.

Thanks.

On 6/11/2022 12:21 PM, Luke Davis wrote:

> Penny Golden wrote:

>> This long-line stuff is happening when I am in a note pad.

> Open the view menu (Alt+V I believe), and press enter on "line wrap".

> If you are doing any kind of professional editing though, Notepad is

> not your friend.

> MS Word would be a far better alternative.

> Luke

> .

For the record, Notepad in Windows 11 is (at least to me) trivially different than the Notepad we've all known "forever."  I just looked on my Windows 11 machine (which is downstairs, so I can't side-by-side compare) but other than the standard "look and feel" changes to the Windows 11 UI, I'm not seeing anything obviously different than what's in Windows 10 Notepad.  I don't know when the "Search with Bing" item even showed up in the Edit menu, but it's there in Windows 10 and I would be shocked if it were not there in Windows 8.1 and 7, too, as this sort of change tends to be back-ported.

It's possible there may be a new entry or two in the Edit menu, but if there are they've certainly not displaced any of the pre-existing ones or their keyboard shortcuts.

If you know Notepad prior to Windows 11 you still know Notepad in Windows 11 for all practical intents and purposes.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

This article, written when Notepad for Windows 11 was still under development, gives an idea of the differences.  There are differences, such as a view menu in Notepad 11 and no view menu in Windows 10.  Also, there is a settings page that wasn't there before.

Since I don't have Notepad for Windows 11, I can't compare it with the Windows 10 version in detail, but there are enough changes that I can't assume that some things are where they were.

Gene

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 11:46 AM, Gene wrote:
There are differences, such as a view menu in Notepad 11 and no view menu in Windows 10.
-
There is a View Menu in WIndows 10.   And the two items it contains - Zoom and Status Bar - are unchanged in Windows 11.

There are no additional menus under Windows 11 nor are there any menu deletions.  I have no reason to report inaccurately.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I see that there is a view menu but it only contains an item to show the status line.  I don't know what has been added to the view menu in the Windows 11 version but Word wrap is there.  That raises the question of whether the format menu is gone and has been incorporated into the settings page.

Gene