Topics

Weird desktop messages?

Matt Turner

Hi, when i go to the desktop, in windows 8 with the windows key+d, I get all this extra speech added  with my icons.
For example, foobar2000; 1 KB; Shortcut; ‎3/‎19/‎2016 ‏‎5:17 PM.
The tool tips, and help balloons are turned off in NVDA.
I'm just thinking it's something i accidentally hit.

Lino Morales

You are in the details view. Hit CTRL shift 5 for list.

On 3/25/2016 9:18 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
Hi, when i go to the desktop, in windows 8 with the windows key+d, I get all this extra speech added  with my icons.
For example, foobar2000; 1 KB; Shortcut; ‎3/‎19/‎2016 ‏‎5:17 PM.
The tool tips, and help balloons are turned off in NVDA.
I'm just thinking it's something i accidentally hit.

Matt Turner

Yep, that fix it. Thanks for that.

On 3/25/2016 9:19 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
You are in the details view. Hit CTRL shift 5 for list.

On 3/25/2016 9:18 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
Hi, when i go to the desktop, in windows 8 with the windows key+d, I get all this extra speech added  with my icons.
For example, foobar2000; 1 KB; Shortcut; ‎3/‎19/‎2016 ‏‎5:17 PM.
The tool tips, and help balloons are turned off in NVDA.
I'm just thinking it's something i accidentally hit.

Lino,

Is there by chance a command which will do the same thing as ctrl+Shift+5, only that will activate Detail?
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

You are in the details view. Hit CTRL shift 5 for list.

On 3/25/2016 9:18 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
Hi, when i go to the desktop, in windows 8 with the windows key+d, I get all this extra speech added  with my icons.
For example, foobar2000; 1 KB; Shortcut; ‎3/‎19/‎2016 ‏‎5:17 PM.
The tool tips, and help balloons are turned off in NVDA.
I'm just thinking it's something i accidentally hit.

Tyler Spivey

Thanks for this. I didn't know you could do that on the desktop. It's
not in the context menus, even when everything is unselected with
control+space.
It also seems that, testing briefly, list has one entry per line
vertically instead of the grid when in icon view.

@AHeart4God316 <mailto:@AHeart4God316>
Phone: (704) 256-8010 Extension 401.

You are in the details view. Hit CTRL shift 5 for list.

On 3/25/2016 9:18 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
Hi, when i go to the desktop, in windows 8 with the windows
key+d, I get all this extra speech added with my icons.
For example, foobar2000; 1 KB; Shortcut; ‎3/‎19/‎2016 ‏‎5:17 PM.
The tool tips, and help balloons are turned off in NVDA.
I'm just thinking it's something i accidentally hit.

Wonderful.  Thank you for your quick response.  It's appreciated.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

You are in the details view. Hit CTRL shift 5 for list.

On 3/25/2016 9:18 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
Hi, when i go to the desktop, in windows 8 with the windows key+d, I get all this extra speech added  with my icons.
For example, foobar2000; 1 KB; Shortcut; ‎3/‎19/‎2016 ‏‎5:17 PM.
The tool tips, and help balloons are turned off in NVDA.
I'm just thinking it's something i accidentally hit.

sounds like you went to details view in a normal folder you only need to hit view then list.
I'd open a folder on the desktop, go do a view/list, alt v then l and then after that go to folder options and view then set folders to current folder and see.
If that does not work hit the reset button to reset view, but you will have to redo those options ofcause.

On 26/03/2016 2:18 p.m., Matt Turner wrote:
Hi, when i go to the desktop, in windows 8 with the windows key+d, I get all
this extra speech added with my icons.
For example, foobar2000; 1 KB; Shortcut; ‎3/‎19/‎2016 ‏‎5:17 PM.
The tool tips, and help balloons are turned off in NVDA.
I'm just thinking it's something i accidentally hit.
.

Gene

I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing that setting until others indicate Whether it makes any difference.  I'm not saying this is the case, but I am not at all sure that the details setting has anything to do with how the desktop displays.  I doubt it.  Details is a view setting for how files are displayed in the list of files and folders in Windows Explorer.  There is no such setting for the desktop and I would think that the setting doesn't apply.

Sent: Friday, March 25, 2016 11:43 PM