Topics

locked well, I guess I shouldn't have expected much

Subject says it all.

After all the bad bugs and other messages on the support readit, you'd think waterfox would fix their broken brouser in classic mode but I guess not.

Decided even though changes stated that there were only security updates this round, decided to try the program again.

As soon as I loaded one of my slower loading forums, waterfox froze and nvda had a garbage deleted objects issue where both stacks froze and I had emence trouble getting speech back, let alone narator to work in that state.

I have returned to 08.

Rumor seems to be that they seem to be putting all energies in their 3rd gen engine.

However of more concern is the fact they don't seem to be pulling current performance updates from firefox.

Technically I can stay on 08 for the rest of my life without an issue.

My add and script blockers are probably good enough and I don't leave my brouser open but still for a program with so much prommice its something really stupid and weird going on with this thing.

If there was a way to use classic accessability menus and not fiddle round with the modern  and wacky interface for all the extra addons and such in firefox, I'd switch to that.

Point is I like the classic uncluttered interface but if this continues to break, I may just have to stay here.

Its a pitty  that 2020.08 will be the last working version of waterfox classic for me, but it doesn't seem they are really improving the brouser much.

I'd probably make a fuss on github but I have other things to bother about, the brouser aint one of them and I don't intend it to be.

I am just slightly put off at all this goings on.

I was hoping that things would be better.

Maybe they are but right now I can't use a program that can generate interaction errors and take my reader with it pluss other things.

To be honest if I could find another classic firefox brouser that works without the drama going on or a classic chrome interfaced brouser or simply a simple classic brouser I may switch.

But some shops on chrome and others seem to be missing out decimal points in prices and I can't find a solution to have these read right and know waterfox handles it ok.

Sarah k Alawami

Use brave. It's good foryou. I don't use firefox unless i have to, but I love and use brave every day. It's fast and the add blocker just works.

On 21 Oct 2020, at 9:25, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Subject says it all.

[...]

Hmmm, thanks sara.

I may concidder that if I need to.

Waterfox classic is good for me right now but yeah I may have to switch to something else at least for more secure work.

I won't ever leave waterfox even if I only ever use it for blogs and a few shop related things, but if it really gets that bad I'll know where to go.

On 22/10/2020 5:28 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Use brave. It's good foryou. I don't use firefox unless i have to, but I love and use brave every day. It's fast and the add blocker just works.

On 21 Oct 2020, at 9:25, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Subject says it all.

[...]

John Sanfilippo

Hi, which PC app do you like for mail. I'm watching out for something to replace Thunderbird. Thanks.

John Sanfilippo

Chris Smart

Thunderbird is great and responds really really quickly! and that's coming from someone who stubbornly stuck to using eudora, even into Windows 10.

Yes, I used Eudora for probably twenty years. LOL

Just curious, what annoys you about Thunderbird? It is highly customizable, so maybe you just need to tweak some things.

On 2020-10-22 9:06 a.m., John Sanfilippo wrote:
Hi, which PC app do you like for mail. I'm watching out for something to replace Thunderbird. Thanks.

John Sanfilippo

Rosemarie Chavarria

I'm not having any problems with thunderbird. I guess you could try

the mail app.

On 10/22/2020 6:06 AM, John Sanfilippo wrote:
Hi, which PC app do you like for mail. I'm watching out for something to replace Thunderbird. Thanks.

John Sanfilippo

The problem with the Windows 10 Mail App is that it is the barest of bare bones email clients.  If you are used to Outlook, or Thunderbird, or any other truly feature rich email client, and actually use a number of "the usual features," the Mail App can be very frustrating very quickly.

That's the primary reason I don't recommend it, because it's capabilities are too restricted for many users.  I should start keeping a list of the routine complaints that have been brought up regarding the Mail App so that I can give actual examples when it comes up.

There's nothing wrong with using it if you go into it with your expectations correctly set.  But it's been my experience and observation that most people think they're getting a fairly full-featured email client when they are getting anything but.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

Why do you not want to use Thunderbird?

On 2020-10-22 9:06 a.m., John Sanfilippo wrote:
Hi, which PC app do you like for mail. I'm watching out for something to replace Thunderbird. Thanks.

John Sanfilippo

Tyler Wood

Thunderbird is amazingly sluggish for me and takes up well over 700 MB of ram. How is this okay (not aimed at anyone here). Maybe it was my configuration.

I’ve been using Microsoft outlook which, surprisingly, works very well. Windows mail worked fantastic too though from what I remember it did not close threaded messages correctly and kept them all expanded. I’m not sure if that has been fixed.

On 2020-10-22 9:06 a.m., John Sanfilippo wrote:

Hi, which PC app do you like for mail. I'm watching out for something to replace Thunderbird. Thanks.

John Sanfilippo

Chris Smart

Funny, outlook is the example I give when someone asks me about sluggish software. Outlook paired with a certain other program named after a movie shark is even more so!

On 2020-10-22 9:06 a.m., John Sanfilippo wrote:

Hi, which PC app do you like for mail. I'm watching out for something to replace Thunderbird. Thanks.

John Sanfilippo

Tyler Wood

I beg to differ on all counts. When an email client takes well over 700 MB of ram, stops responding while browsing messages, takes 20 or more seconds to browse folders, I have a hard time using it or being productive. This is on a machine with an SSD, Ryzen 7 processor and plenty of ram to use, that being said.

Maybe things have changed lately – I’m more than willing to give thunderbird another go – but outlook has come leaps and bounds even over the last year, too, with both Jaws and NVDA.

On 2020-10-22 9:06 a.m., John Sanfilippo wrote:

Hi, which PC app do you like for mail. I'm watching out for something to replace Thunderbird. Thanks.

John Sanfilippo

Chris Smart

I haven't noticed any of that. I don't know about RAM usage, but performance is snappy.

On 2020-10-22 9:06 a.m., John Sanfilippo wrote:

Hi, which PC app do you like for mail. I'm watching out for something to replace Thunderbird. Thanks.

John Sanfilippo

Well if your email program is slow maybe you should check your inboxes and make sure you archive things right.

For me, I don't really keep anything much.
Most list mail I delete anything important I store outside the mail client.

Its been working for me so far.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 12:59 PM, Tyler Wood wrote:
takes up well over 700 MB of ram. How is this okay (not aimed at anyone here). Maybe it was my configuration.
-
And I'll bet you're right.  I often have browsers taking up 500 MB plus, sometimes 1 GB or more, of memory because of the number of tabs/windows I keep open, but I never see anything like that with Outlook, Thunderbird, eMClient, etc., as they're set up on my system.

Right now I have Outlook 2016 up in the main mail window and it's only taking approximately 34 MB.  Just closed it and fired up Tbird, which is taking just under 300 MB as it's working it's little heart out to sync things (I haven't fired it up in a while) and settles out around 250 MB afterward.  eM Client comes in at around 115 MB.

In the case of Tbird, I am using TbSync and another add-on that keep calendar and contacts in Sync with Gmail, and those definitely take up memory and CPU cycles of their own, but listed as Thunderbird.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

It may be that on some systems, Thunderbird doesn't work correctly. I've seen complaints about sluggishness before, though most of the comments I've seen have been favorable.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 03:03 PM, Gene wrote:
It may be that on some systems, Thunderbird doesn't work correctly.
-
Oh, just based on repeated comments over time on the blind-tech-related groups about sluggishness and Tbird I am quite certain that's the case.

But what I believe, personally, is that the issue does not lie with Thunderbird itself, but something about how those systems are configured, and whatever it is seems to be in some deep, dark, non-obvious corner.  As I said in another topic earlier today, real bugs hit a huge number of users in the same way, and the sluggishness with Tbird, while not isolated to one person, is definitely isolated to a very small number.  It seems dependent on the machine it's being run on.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

David Goldfield

It's interesting that this topic has come up. I've been using Thunderbird for around ten years and I'm currently running it on a system that was probably build around 2007 or 2008 which I bought refurbished and TB is almost as snappy and responsive on that system as Notepad. Yet I remember a dialog that I had with someone with a much more modern system with 32 GB of RAM who reported that TB was very slow, which truly mystified me. In fact, I recently read an article describing Mozilla's plans to improve and modernize Thunderbird with responsiveness being one of the items they wanted to address. This really surprised me as I wondered what they could possibly do to improve TB's performance. Yet this tells me that TB, on some systems, does present noticeable performance issues. I wish I knew more about what those systems have in common but Mozilla is clearly asking the same question and I suspect they'll come closer to finding the answer much faster than I will.

David Goldfield,
Blindness Assistive Technology Specialist
JAWS Certified, 2019

WWW.DavidGoldfield.org
On 10/22/2020 3:35 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 03:03 PM, Gene wrote:
It may be that on some systems, Thunderbird doesn't work correctly.
-
Oh, just based on repeated comments over time on the blind-tech-related groups about sluggishness and Tbird I am quite certain that's the case.

But what I believe, personally, is that the issue does not lie with Thunderbird itself, but something about how those systems are configured, and whatever it is seems to be in some deep, dark, non-obvious corner.  As I said in another topic earlier today, real bugs hit a huge number of users in the same way, and the sluggishness with Tbird, while not isolated to one person, is definitely isolated to a very small number.  It seems dependent on the machine it's being run on.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

David Goldfield

While I don't want to stray off of the subject of NVDA I did want to point out that there are actually two Thunderbird discussion lists out there.
The first is the Support-Thunderbird list, which is one of the many lists from Mozilla that they make available. I think that it may actually be a newsgroup and, possibly due to the news readers being used by most of the subscribers, there is quite a lot of top quoting which goes on. Still, it will give you a connection to some savvy TB users.
Groups.io also hosts a Thunderbird discussion list, which you can subscribe to via the above link.
Finally, please file any Thunderbird bugs to Bugzilla.