Topics

what addons can i get with the most recent version of NVDA?

David Ingram

Hi list members, i'd like to know is there a more recent updater, and what addons can I use with the most recent version of NVDA? There doesn't seem to be many choices in terms of addons that I can choose to use. I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give in reguards to my questions. Thank you.

Hi,
Depends on add-ons you are already using or wish to use an add-on for a specific purpose (or more). Major add-ons were ported to recent NVDA releases.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Ingram
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 12:33 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] what addons can i get with the most recent version of NVDA?

Hi list members, i'd like to know is there a more recent updater, and what addons can I use with the most recent version of NVDA? There doesn't seem to be many choices in terms of addons that I can choose to use. I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give in reguards to my questions. Thank you.

Gene

I don't use the updater so others can discuss it. Regarding add-ons, I don't know where you are looking. If you go to:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html
that is the official NVDA add-ons page. That doesn't mean that no other add-ons are available elsewhere, it means that these have been checked by NVDA volunteers for safety and that they work properly.

You are on the stable add-ons page. You will see a link as you look down the page for add-ons under development. You may use them if you wish but they may have bugs, being sort of like betas.

Legacy add-ons, as I understand it, and there is a link to them as well, are those that can be used with older versions of NVDA. I'm not sure, but I don't think they will work with current versions.

If you go to the page I gave a link to earlier and move down the page using h for heading, you will move from add-on link to add-on link.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 2:33 PM

David Ingram

I'd like to know if there are any addons for nativeaccess? If so, where can I get it? P.S. I'm also interested in the ocr but i'm not sure whether NVDA already has an ocr engine. I've updated to windows 10 version 2004 if that helps anything. Also at some point I'll probably decide to learn reaper and i'll need to know where all the sound libraries go for it.

Sent: Aug 22, 2020 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] what addons can i get with the most recent version of NVDA?

Hi,
Depends on add-ons you are already using or wish to use an add-on for a specific purpose (or more). Major add-ons were ported to recent NVDA releases.
Cheers,
Joseph

Gene

If you do a Google search for NVDA add-on nativeaccess, you will likely find any that are available, if any. When I want to know if there is an add-on for a program, rather than go to the add-ons page and then search or look around, I do a Google search. This finds the add-on if it is on the official page or somewhere else, if it is somewhere else. of course, if you get it from somewhere else, you may want to try to find out if the developer has a good reputation before installing and using it. Add-ons can be used for malicious purposes.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 2:47 PM

I'd like to know if there are any addons for nativeaccess? If so, where can I get it? P.S. I'm also interested in the ocr but i'm not sure whether NVDA already has an ocr engine. I've updated to windows 10 version 2004 if that helps anything. Also at some point I'll probably decide to learn reaper and i'll need to know where all the sound libraries go for it.

Sent: Aug 22, 2020 2:38 PM

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Tony Ballou

Hi David,

The current version of NVDA is 2020.2. Some of the add-ons that I find most helpful are add ons documentation which you can use to get help for working with each add on you choose to install into NVDA.  The add on updater which will let you know when there is a new version of an add on.  perhaps my favorite is O B J pad, which allows you to use your keyboard as if it were a mouse.  cSome other add ons of note include: windows 10 app Essentials, clip contents designer, clip speak, easy table navigator, place markers, toolbars explorer, review cursor copier, speech history, emoticon’s, control usage assistant, resource monitor, and systray list.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2020 3:33 PM

Hi list members, i'd like to know is there a more recent updater, and what addons can I use with the most recent version of NVDA?  There doesn't seem to  be many choices in terms of addons that I can choose to use.  I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give in reguards to my questions.  Thank you.

Louise Pfau

Hi.  When I tried to install the "Windows 10 app essentials" add-on with the most recent version of NVDA, I was told that I was running an older version of Windows.  I'm running "Microsoft Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.450)".

Thanks,

Louise

Hi,

I assume Windows 10 App Essentials 20.08.1? Did you use Add-on Updater to check for updates? If yes, try using most recent Add-on Updater first before updating other add-ons.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 4:31 PM

Hi.  When I tried to install the "Windows 10 app essentials" add-on with the most recent version of NVDA, I was told that I was running an older version of Windows.  I'm running "Microsoft Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.450)".

Thanks,

Louise

David Ingram

Where can I get the most recent app essentials for nvda first of all?  Then I'd like to know what specific apps have been updated to work with the most recent version of NVDA?  Thank you for any information that you might have concerning my questions.  P.S. are you also saying that nativeaccess is no longer supported by NVDA?  iS there a reason why this has happened?

Sent: Aug 23, 2020 6:34 PM

Hi,

I assume Windows 10 App Essentials 20.08.1? Did you use Add-on Updater to check for updates? If yes, try using most recent Add-on Updater first before updating other add-ons.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2020 4:31 PM

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I ended up cancelling the installation when the message about the older version of Windows came up.  I downloaded the "Windows 10 app essentials" add-on from the NVDA add-ons website.  I haven't used the NVDA add-on updater.

Louise

Hi,

I see. The most likely explanation is that, somewhere in the installation process, the add-on thinks you are running an older Windows 10 release, which isn’t clearly the case.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 12:33 PM

Hi.  I ended up cancelling the installation when the message about the older version of Windows came up.  I downloaded the "Windows 10 app essentials" add-on from the NVDA add-ons website.  I haven't used the NVDA add-on updater.

Louise

David Ingram

how do I get the windows 10 ap essentials for NVDA?

Sent: Aug 24, 2020 2:32 PM

Louise

David Ingram

Hi, how are you?  Where can I get these windows 10 app essentials.

Sent: Aug 24, 2020 2:42 PM

Hi,

I see. The most likely explanation is that, somewhere in the installation process, the add-on thinks you are running an older Windows 10 release, which isn’t clearly the case.

Cheers,

Joseph

Louise

Socheat Muth

On 8/25/2020 7:30 PM, David Ingram wrote:
Hi, how are you?  Where can I get these windows 10 app essentials.

Sent: Aug 24, 2020 2:42 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Louise