Topics

What is the NVDA key combination for pop up dialogues in Firefox or Crome

Matt Wadsworth <mwwadsworth@...>

Hello,

I've just moved over from JAWS to NVDA.
IN JAWS, when a dialogue pops up on a web page, such as "do you want to run or save this file" for example, you press alt plus n to interact with it.
Can you please tell me how this is done in NVDA?

Many thanks for your help.

Matt

Jackie

Matt, this is not actually related to NVDA per se, but is rather
browser dependent. For example, Edge, Chromium, (& Lord forbid,
Internet Explorer) all use alt n. Firefox doesn't use a keystroke at
all--it just pops up--provided you have specified in its options to
ask what to do w/a particular file. If you haven't, then it likely
just saves to your download folder w/o providing you any recourse. Go
to the options in FF to fix that.

On 8/8/20, Matt Wadsworth <mwwadsworth@...> wrote:
Hello,

I've just moved over from JAWS to NVDA.
IN JAWS, when a dialogue pops up on a web page, such as "do you want to run
or save this file" for example, you press alt plus n to interact with it.
Can you please tell me how this is done in NVDA?

Many thanks for your help.

Matt

Are you using Internet Explorer? Those aren't dialogs. That is the information bar. Have you tried the same command? It isn't a JAWS command, it’s a Windows command. See if it works.

IN JAWS, when a dialogue pops up on a web page, such as "do you want to run or save this file" for example, you press alt plus n to interact with it.
Can you please tell me how this is done in NVDA?

Many thanks for your help.

Matt

Gene

I'm not aware of Chrome using alt n. And the new Edge is Chrome based so I don't know if it does. I know Internet Explorer does. and Chrome automatically downloads files unless you set a setting to ask what to do.

Matt, this is not actually related to NVDA per se, but is rather
browser dependent. For example, Edge, Chromium, (& Lord forbid,
Internet Explorer) all use alt n. Firefox doesn't use a keystroke at
all--it just pops up--provided you have specified in its options to
ask what to do w/a particular file. If you haven't, then it likely
just saves to your download folder w/o providing you any recourse. Go
to the options in FF to fix that.

On 8/8/20, Matt Wadsworth <mwwadsworth@...> wrote:
Hello,

I've just moved over from JAWS to NVDA.
IN JAWS, when a dialogue pops up on a web page, such as "do you want to run
or save this file" for example, you press alt plus n to interact with it.
Can you please tell me how this is done in NVDA?

Many thanks for your help.

Matt

Jackie

I'll only say that on my machine & on others whom I assist alt n is
used in those browsers unless nondefault options are being used.

On 8/8/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

We'll see what others say. I've never used Edge in any form and I can't comment to any extent on it. Bhut I've never used alt n in any other browser than Internet Explorer and I know they don't have what Internet Explorer calls the information bar.

[...]

No, but they have a "notification window", & that can be accessed using alt n.

On 8/8/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR
by
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

That may be. I don't know what sorts of notices may be there.

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Wait until the thing is read, but I believe at least in chrome it's alt shift A. Firefox just hit f67 to get to where you need to be and see if that shows the dialogue you want. I don't use FF anymore.

-----Original Message----- From: Jackie

Matt, this is not actually related to NVDA per se, but is rather
browser dependent. For example, Edge, Chromium, (& Lord forbid,
Internet Explorer) all use alt n. Firefox doesn't use a keystroke at
all--it just pops up--provided you have specified in its options to
ask what to do w/a particular file. If you haven't, then it likely
just saves to your download folder w/o providing you any recourse. Go
to the options in FF to fix that.

On 8/8/20, Matt Wadsworth mwwadsworth@... wrote:

Hello,

I've just moved over from JAWS to NVDA.
IN JAWS, when a dialogue pops up on a web page, such as "do you want to
run
or save this file" for example, you press alt plus n to interact with it.
Can you please tell me how this is done in NVDA?

Many thanks for your help.

Matt

It may be alt shift a to move to the message window in Chrome. I don't recall. I've not used it much and its been perhaps months. Maybe its control shift a. I seem to remember clearly that it is something shift a. I'm skeptical that it is alt n. And the message window is used for different sorts of messages than the information bar in Internet Explorer.

[...]

Yes, FF and Croam automatically download files to a specified folder. The information bar sometimes says things like "do you want to save your login details" or "all this website to use your location".
That's the thing I am trying to access.

Best wishes

Matt