What's the situation with Seika Braille drivers?


Mallard
 

Hello all,


the situation here is becoming pretty much unbearable. Using a Seika braille display with NVDA has become practically impossible.


The first hints I found on the drivers being worked on are from 2019. Some time ago I was told a driver was being tested... When can we expect to be able to use Seikas again?


Thanks.

Ciao,

Ollie


Lukasz Golonka
 

Hello,,

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 17:56:23 +0200
"Mallard" <mallard@kimabe.eu> wrote:

the situation here is becoming pretty much unbearable. Using a Seika braille display with NVDA has become practically impossible.


The first hints I found on the drivers being worked on are from 2019. Some time ago I was told a driver was being tested... When can we expect to be able to use Seikas again?
Assuming you're using one of: Seika v3/5/80 the pull request which fixes
support for it can be found here:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/10961

I've asked main developers for a second look at it but it would be
better if you can join GitHub and comment on the PR - it is much more
effective when affected users are advocating themselves.

--
Regards
Lukasz


Mallard
 

Hello,


Many thanks. I-m using a Seika 5/40, not 80.

I hope this works anyway.


I-ll do my best. I-m totally lost on Github. I get lost there, but I-ll do my best.


Thanks again. Stay safe,

Ollie

On 01/06/2021 21:01, Lukasz Golonka via groups.io wrote:
Hello,,

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 17:56:23 +0200
"Mallard" <mallard@kimabe.eu> wrote:

the situation here is becoming pretty much unbearable. Using a Seika braille display with NVDA has become practically impossible.


The first hints I found on the drivers being worked on are from 2019. Some time ago I was told a driver was being tested... When can we expect to be able to use Seikas again?
Assuming you're using one of: Seika v3/5/80 the pull request which fixes
support for it can be found here:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/10961

I've asked main developers for a second look at it but it would be
better if you can join GitHub and comment on the PR - it is much more
effective when affected users are advocating themselves.


Lukasz Golonka
 

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 21:23:03 +0200
"Mallard" <mallard@kimabe.eu> wrote:

Many thanks. I-m using a Seika 5/40, not 80.

I hope this works anyway.
Assuming whatever display you have used to work with 2019.2 and stopped
working after Python 3 migration the PR which I've mentioned in my
previous message is the right one.


 

Hi all,

In fact, NV Access folks have committed many changes to Seika support pull request within the last few hours, so I expect it will be (finally) part of NVDA soon (once and for all).

Cheers,

Joseph


Mallard
 

Thanks for this news, Joseph!

Stay well,

Ollie

On 03/06/2021 10:04, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

In fact, NV Access folks have committed many changes to Seika support pull request within the last few hours, so I expect it will be (finally) part of NVDA soon (once and for all).

Cheers,

Joseph


Rowen Cary
 

Yes, we hope it can be integrated into NVDA2021.1.