Topics

When nvda keeps turning itself on any time another program opens or shuts

Hugin

This started back in January when I had to install nvda on 2 new computers. I use it but my husband is only legally blind so can see enough not to use a screen reader. Anytime he's using the computer for something he turns nvda off and if another program opens or closes, completely unrelated it will start up and we need to shut it down again. Like today when windows is wanting crap and he has to fuss with it's maddening.LOL. So as it seems to be a new thing, at least for me, is there a setting called don't start up until I start you up? LOL

How are you turning it off? If you are using NVDA q, it should be
completely unloaded and not do anything until you run it again.

Gene

On 3/27/20, Hugin <blaisegellert@...> wrote:
This started back in January when I had to install nvda on 2 new computers.
I use it but my husband is only legally blind so can see enough not to use a
screen reader. Anytime he's using the computer for something he turns nvda
off and if another program opens or closes, completely unrelated it will
start up and we need to shut it down again. Like today when windows is
wanting crap and he has to fuss with it's maddening.LOL. So as it seems to
be a new thing, at least for me, is there a setting called don't start up
until I start you up? LOL

Hugin

HI Gene:
To answer the question Our NVDA modifier key is defined to be Insert. So essentially I am doing NVDA q. It turns off, and then turns itself back on when any other program does anything/off or on. I hope I'm doing something wrong? LOL So I can fix this.

I don't know why its happening. You are using the correct shutdown
command and it should be completely shut down. Maybe others will have
suggestions.

Gene

On 3/27/20, Hugin <blaisegellert@...> wrote:
HI Gene:
To answer the question Our NVDA modifier key is defined to be Insert. So
essentially I am doing NVDA q. It turns off, and then turns itself back on
when any other program does anything/off or on. I hope I'm doing something
wrong? LOL So I can fix this.

Sarah k Alawami

I don't have an answer but can you send a log is possible? You are doing everythign right.

Take care

On 27 Mar 2020, at 18:39, Gene wrote:

I don't know why its happening. You are using the correct shutdown
command and it should be completely shut down. Maybe others will have
suggestions.

Gene

On 3/27/20, Hugin blaisegellert@... wrote:

HI Gene:
To answer the question Our NVDA modifier key is defined to be Insert. So
essentially I am doing NVDA q. It turns off, and then turns itself back on
when any other program does anything/off or on. I hope I'm doing something
wrong? LOL So I can fix this.

Hugin

I have this nvda issue with 3 computers ight now it's insane. And no one else has had it happen/so frustrating. Does anyone else actually turn nvda off while doing other things? I wouldn't but my husband uses it and it just turns itself on if anything else is opened or shut. I feel like I'm missing some sort of new setting because really it's 3 computers. As no one seems to know is there anywhere else I can write and ask?

Try using the task manager to shut down NVDA. I don't recall if you
said which version of Windows you are running, but if you need to know
how to do it, let us know. If that doesn't help, I may be out of
ideas.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Hugin <blaisegellert@...> wrote:
I have this nvda issue with 3 computers ight now it's insane. And no one
else has had it happen/so frustrating. Does anyone else actually turn nvda
off while doing other things? I wouldn't but my husband uses it and it just
turns itself on if anything else is opened or shut. I feel like I'm missing
some sort of new setting because really it's 3 computers. As no one seems to
know is there anywhere else I can write and ask?

One possibility: are you talking about User Account Control? If yes, that will explain why, and to turn that off, one must disable "Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen (requires administrator privileges)" Checkbox found in NVDA settings/general panel.
Cheers,
Joseph

Try using the task manager to shut down NVDA. I don't recall if you said which version of Windows you are running, but if you need to know how to do it, let us know. If that doesn't help, I may be out of ideas.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Hugin <blaisegellert@...> wrote:
I have this nvda issue with 3 computers ight now it's insane. And no
one else has had it happen/so frustrating. Does anyone else actually
turn nvda off while doing other things? I wouldn't but my husband uses
it and it just turns itself on if anything else is opened or shut. I
feel like I'm missing some sort of new setting because really it's 3
computers. As no one seems to know is there anywhere else I can write and ask?

Hugin

Thank you Joseph. I think that sounds right, going to try it. I don't think it's ever been an issue before jut on windows 10 all 3 computers are windows 10. Again thank you so much, you saved my sanity.

This is very interesting. I know that when UAC runs and secure
desktop is used, installed copies of NVDA run another copy of
themselves. I think I can see how, when run at the login screen is
active, the UAC copy is run. Is that because the login screen is
secure in the way that the secure desktop is? If so, would simply
answering the UAC prompt cause NVDA not to run or does the other copy
continue in regular windows? If that happens, it is a problem because
it encourages people to turn off UAC in cases where the computer is
shared with a sighted person. Can this behavior be stopped?

Gene

On 3/27/20, Gene via Groups.Io <gsasner=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
How are you turning it off? If you are using NVDA q, it should be
completely unloaded and not do anything until you run it again.

Gene

On 3/27/20, Hugin <blaisegellert@...> wrote:
This started back in January when I had to install nvda on 2 new
computers.
I use it but my husband is only legally blind so can see enough not to use
screen reader. Anytime he's using the computer for something he turns
nvda
off and if another program opens or closes, completely unrelated it will
start up and we need to shut it down again. Like today when windows is
wanting crap and he has to fuss with it's maddening.LOL. So as it seems
be a new thing, at least for me, is there a setting called don't start up
until I start you up? LOL

Hugin

I disabled use nvda on and it didn't work the only thing that worked was to disable start nvda with windows but then it won't start up automatically when the computer does as I need it to. So either no start at all without me having to do it or it starts all the time when any other program does like it's start up when I don't want it to and again this never happened before windows 10 and now it's 3 computers.

When you know there are thousands, nay, millions who are not having this issue it clearly points to something idiosyncratic to your computers, and likely caused secondary to something you've done.  That's not a criticism nor an accusation, but a fact.

I doubt it's due to Windows 10, per se, but it could be secondary to some slight corruption in your installations.  See my tutorial, Britechguy’s Standard Advice Regarding Windows 10 Issues and Their Repair, and shoot straight to the numbered step, one, and try the SFC/DISM pair on one of your machines and see if that fixes the issue.  Then if it doesn't, try the repair install.

For myself, I would uninstall NVDA first before doing this if you have sighted assistance that makes this possible.  Then reinstall it after either the SFC/DISM pair reports all is well or you've done a repair install.

And if you haven't tried an NVDA uninstall, system Restart, and NVDA reinstall I would do that prior to doing any of the things I've recommended above, but I am presuming you have done this already.

What you have occurring is uncharacteristic and I have not seen anyone report it prior to yourself.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

I suggest installing JAWS and having it run at startup and not having
NVDA do so. A very good example of where having more than one
screen-reader is very useful. Or, if Narrator can run on the login
screen, that would be something else you could use.

Gene

On 3/30/20, Hugin <blaisegellert@...> wrote:
I disabled use nvda on and it didn't work the only thing that worked was to

disable start nvda with windows but then it won't start up automatically
when the computer does as I need it to. So either no start at all without me

having to do it or it starts all the time when any other program does like
it's start up when I don't want it to and again this never happened before
windows 10 and now it's 3 computers.

Edited

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 07:25 PM, Gene wrote:
Or, if Narrator can run on the login screen, that would be something else you could use.
It can, but that's not likely to solve what appears to be the core problem:  NVDA coming back on as programs are opened.  This is extremely atypical behavior, as you well know.

Something else is afoot here, and it appears to be afoot on several computers in the same household that have likely had a great deal of the same software installed across them.

       ~ Madonna

Gene

It isn't intended to be a solution. its a work around, allowing the
sighted person to use the computers without NVDA starting whenever
another program is started. It would also allow the blind person to
log in and then manually run NVDA. I am skeptical that a solution
will be found and I think this is a good work around.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 07:25 PM, Gene wrote:

Or, if Narrator can run on the login screen, that would be something else
you could use.
I can, but that's not likely to solve what appears to be the core problem:
NVDA coming back on as programs are opened. This is extremely atypical
behavior, as you well know.

Something else is afoot here, and it appears to be afoot on several
computers in the same household that have likely had a great deal of the
same software installed across them.

*Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.*

~ Madonna

Gene

In case my previous answer wasn't clear, I'll add that in a previous
post, the person presenting the problem stated that the only way
he/she found to stop the behavior was to turn off run at boot up.
Therefore, I proposed the work around I did.

Gene

Hugin

I appreciate that Gene and we'll try it. I wish we could figure out what's happening, though. 3 of our computers and my sister's as well all windows 10. We tried a reinstall too, did that first ages back actually and no go. I tell people paranormal things happen to our tech stuff all the time but my sisters too? I wanted to think it wasn't spooky stuff but now I have to wonder.

Hugin

Hi Brian,Gene/ and list

I do not have jaws and will not use jaws and as Brian said won't fix the issue really in a logical way but I appreciate the thought. I am asking if anyone has am nvda contact for programmers or anyone else I an ask about this. Because we've installed it before, never an issue. Not on windows 10, though. Not sure what made you think I had the same software on all computers, Brian, I am sorry if I indicated as much as it isn't the case. Also my sister's comp, comp number 4 doing this is not in my home. She is however in my city and she jokingly suggests that it's a *incert name of our city* problem and no one will understand. HAHA. Really though I hope we're just doing something wrong though I don't see what as again have used nvda for years without this happening. Each installation of windows 10 we have came from different people, the computers came from different places. My husband installed two one of ours, and my sister's, but those computers are entirely different, different models, one is a desk and one a lap top etc. But other 2 are having the same issue, one was done by Boundless, and one by a local computer guy. Again starting to feel it's just and our paranormal weirdness though why the ghoulies care about nvda is beyond me.

Well there are 2 options.
1, start nvda at the windows logon screen.
This is usefull if you have more than 1 account, keep this off on a
public computer if if you don't want nvda starting at login.
Note, its going to yell out secure screens at you reguardless but
there is usually a delay of a few seconds.
Just hit alty when you hear the prompt and its not a problem.
You want the option that says start nvda after windows login or
something like it and it will work.
The keyword is after here and its what I use.

On 31/03/2020, Hugin <blaisegellert@...> wrote:
[...]

So, you want to talk to an NVDA programmer? No need to write to us directly – I am an NVDA programmer/code contributor.

Based on the discussion I’m seeing in front of me, we need to clarify a few things before we continue:

  • NVDA startup options: there are two options found under NVDA Settings/General category. The first one named “Automatically start NVDA after I log on to Windows” will ask NVDA to come up when you log into Windows. The second option named “Use NVDA on the Windows logon screen (requires administrator privileges)" Will ask NVDA to come up in User Account Control, logon window and other secure screens. The option you should be looking at is the second one, not the first one.
  • Is the secure screen copy of NVDA a separate NVDA version: yes and no. When you press Control+Alt+Delete to invoke Windows sign-in dialog or User Account Control shows up, the same NVDA executable will run but will pull in settings from system configuration. In short, the regular NVDA will be suspended as long as a secure screen is up (describing how this is possible will require a detailed discussion of certain NVDA and Windows internals; I’ll answer it if you all want me to describe it).

In order to better diagnose this, I and other developers will need detailed steps as to how to reproduce this, if it is reproducible at all. If the problem is reproducible (say, you exit NVDA, someone uses something, and NVDA somehow starts up without you doing anything), then it might be possible to do some more investigations (including NVDA Remote session). Once we know that the problem is reproducible, the next course of action is looking at add-ons you’ve got and disabling add-ons to see if that makes a difference. Failing that, reading a debug log is in order, followed by non-destructive and/or destructive settings reset (non-destructive: press Control+NvDA+R three times, use NVDA for a while, then press Control+NVDA+R once to reload settings; destructive: delete NVDA settings file).

On the other hand, if the problem isn’t reproducible or inconsistent as to when it occurs, there’s really nothing I and other NVDA Developers can do except to say that this issue is unique to your system. IN the past, users contacted NVDA developers to say that they are experiencing problems, which were later classified as unique to a situation when we failed to reproduce problems reliably.

As much as I wish to provide a troubleshooting session via Skype and NVDA Remote add-on (for free), there are other things I need to prioritize – I’m in college, so school takes priority. But if it does come down to providing second or third level technical support alongside NV Access people (NV Access does offer paid tech support, by the way), I’ll think about what we can do.

Cheers,

Joseph