Topics

Where are the recordings?

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah, I'll give yall a link about 4 hours. Cancel the ones you have and wait, pretty please with liver on top.. Hehahahaha.

Blessings and happy Saturday

On Sep 30, 2017, at 9:47 AM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:

Ok, so can we please have the link to get it?  It still says I have an hour and a half left to get it and it's already been over 2 hours!

Thanks much.

Roger

On 9/30/2017 11:21 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Ok, I transferred it to my server, it should be there in I kid you not, 8 hours. Um?  Ok? I have over 120 mbos down and maybe 100 mbps up on that server so geting it for you guys should be no problems. I'll keep it up there for about a month if that is ok with all of you.

Take care all.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 7:36 AM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:

Ok, I'm getting it now!  Thanks for the correct address.  You are right--it is a very very slow server--must be on dial up on their end but at least I should have it in a couple hours.

Roger

On 9/30/2017 4:06 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the address,
or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so therefore
spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
continuous.

Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
perfectly valid.

The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that someone
fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.

Antony.

On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
else. brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
De: "Roger Stewart" <paganus2@...>
Para: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?
Data: 29 de setembro de 2017 15:49

I just tried this and the link appears to be totally dead!!  By this, I
mean it doesn't even try to open a browser at all let alone give me a
page not found error or anything--it just says visited after I choose it
but then just sits there.  What's wrong?

Roger

On 9/28/2017 7:03 PM, dingpengyu06@... wrote:
All of you are good, this is the last week of the activities of the
recording, the following is the download address: because there is no
reason to deal with, so the volume will be relatively large, so a lot of
inclusive. Http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%
<http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%> 20activities.7z

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

The thing is though that I don't think I've ever seen any web address anywhere which has spaces in it. They are nearly always hyphens or underscores. It may well be so that you can have them, but to all intents and purposes when you use any document to convey them they never work.

I have tried in Firefox and they seem also to fall over, which was my point before. The web address was faulty as you say as the look up of the IP itself did not resolve to anything sensible.

--
The next sentence is true.
The previous sentence is untrue.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Antony Stone

See http://al.dehy.de/example.html for an example.

That page contains a link to another page on the same server, the URL for
which contains three space characters (not encoded using %20 either).

Antony.

Groups.Io wrote:
You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
else. brian
--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

David Moore

Exactly LOL!

I am downloading it as well, but it is only downloading at 18 KB/S. That is slower than my old dial up connection LOL!

I see as well, that the file size is over 950 MB. I could not figure out either why it is so large LOL! I hope we can download this faster, and shrink the file size!

Thanks a lot, guys, for getting these recordings. I can’t wait to listen to them!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I pasted in a download manager and its working. The only me concerns

me is the size which is 958 mb. Why it's so large?

On 9/30/17, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:

> Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

> The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications

> can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the

> address,

> or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so

> therefore

> spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is

> continuous.

> Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is

> perfectly valid.

> The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that

> someone

> fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

> http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

> is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.

> Antony.

> On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via

> Groups.Io wrote:

>> You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking

>> this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something

>> else. brian

>> bglists@...

>> Sent via blueyonder.

>> Please address personal email to:-

>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>> in the display name field.

Stephanie Watts

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for taking on this task.  I am among those who are looking forward to listening to the recordings since I was not able to participate last weekend.

Kind regards,
Stephanie

Sarah k Alawami

Here you go guys. I hope it works out. Lol!

Take care  all.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 4:25 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Exactly LOL!
I am downloading it as well, but it is only downloading at 18 KB/S. That is slower than my old dial up connection LOL!
I see as well, that the file size is over 950 MB. I could not figure out either why it is so large LOL! I hope we can download this faster, and shrink the file size!
Thanks a lot, guys, for getting these recordings. I can’t wait to listen to them!
David Moore
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I pasted in a download manager and its working. The only me concerns
me is the size which is 958 mb. Why it's so large?

On 9/30/17, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
> Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.
> The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
> can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the
> address,
> or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so
> therefore
> spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
> continuous.
> Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
> perfectly valid.
> The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that
> someone
> fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.
> is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.
> Antony.
> On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
> Groups.Io wrote:
>> You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
>> this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
>> else. brian
>>
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

thank god a faster speed

thanks fore posting this.

On 9/30/2017 5:19 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Here you go guys. I hope it works out. Lol!

Take care  all.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 4:25 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Exactly LOL!
I am downloading it as well, but it is only downloading at 18 KB/S. That is slower than my old dial up connection LOL!
I see as well, that the file size is over 950 MB. I could not figure out either why it is so large LOL! I hope we can download this faster, and shrink the file size!
Thanks a lot, guys, for getting these recordings. I can’t wait to listen to them!
David Moore
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I pasted in a download manager and its working. The only me concerns
me is the size which is 958 mb. Why it's so large?

On 9/30/17, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
> Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.
> The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
> can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the
> address,
> or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so
> therefore
> spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
> continuous.
> Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
> perfectly valid.
> The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that
> someone
> fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.
> is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.
> Antony.
> On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
> Groups.Io wrote:
>> You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
>> this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
>> else. brian
>>
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Greg Wocher

Hello,

Yes this is working much better. Thanks for doing this Sarah.

Regards,

Greg WOcher

On 9/30/2017 8:23 PM, The Wolf wrote:

thank god a faster speed

thanks fore posting this.

On 9/30/2017 5:19 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Here you go guys. I hope it works out. Lol!

Take care  all.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 4:25 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Exactly LOL!
I am downloading it as well, but it is only downloading at 18 KB/S. That is slower than my old dial up connection LOL!
I see as well, that the file size is over 950 MB. I could not figure out either why it is so large LOL! I hope we can download this faster, and shrink the file size!
Thanks a lot, guys, for getting these recordings. I can’t wait to listen to them!
David Moore
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I pasted in a download manager and its working. The only me concerns
me is the size which is 958 mb. Why it's so large?

On 9/30/17, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
> Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.
> The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
> can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the
> address,
> or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so
> therefore
> spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
> continuous.
> Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
> perfectly valid.
> The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that
> someone
> fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.
> is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.
> Antony.
> On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
> Groups.Io wrote:
>> You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
>> this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
>> else. brian
>>
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Sarah k Alawami

Hey any time. If people want it in a more perminsnt place I can when the week si up move it to a bigger cloud drive but maybe until I run out of space lol!

Take care all.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 6:07 PM, Greg Wocher <gwocher@...> wrote:

Hello,

Yes this is working much better. Thanks for doing this Sarah.

Regards,

Greg WOcher

On 9/30/2017 8:23 PM, The Wolf wrote:

thank god a faster speed

thanks fore posting this.

On 9/30/2017 5:19 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Here you go guys. I hope it works out. Lol!

Take care  all.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 4:25 PM, David Moore <jesusloves1966@...> wrote:

Exactly LOL!
I am downloading it as well, but it is only downloading at 18 KB/S. That is slower than my old dial up connection LOL!
I see as well, that the file size is over 950 MB. I could not figure out either why it is so large LOL! I hope we can download this faster, and shrink the file size!
Thanks a lot, guys, for getting these recordings. I can’t wait to listen to them!
David Moore
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I pasted in a download manager and its working. The only me concerns
me is the size which is 958 mb. Why it's so large?

On 9/30/17, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:
> Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.
> The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
> can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the
> address,
> or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so
> therefore
> spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
> continuous.
> Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
> perfectly valid.
> The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that
> someone
> fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.
> is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.
> Antony.
> On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
> Groups.Io wrote:
>> You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
>> this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
>> else. brian
>>
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

David Moore

Thank you so very much. I just downloaded the file.

I can’t wait to listen!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I pasted in a download manager and its working. The only me concerns

me is the size which is 958 mb. Why it's so large?

On 9/30/17, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:

> Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

> The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications

> can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the

> address,

> or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so

> therefore

> spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is

> continuous.

> Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is

> perfectly valid.

> The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that

> someone

> fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

> is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.

> Antony.

> On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via

> Groups.Io wrote:

>> You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking

>> this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something

>> else. brian

>> Sent via blueyonder.

>> Please address personal email to:-

>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>> in the display name field.

They are big as they all seem to be wav files and rather quiet too. Not sure what might happen if I boosted them and resaved as mp3. The recordings made using this platform always seem to me to be a bit like those you get on an audio activated tape recorder, ie its clipping off bits of speech below a certain level. It needs a listen ahead and a longer time constant on its decision to stop recording. Skype can be like this on live link ups as it attempts to not produce feedback etc.

http://upload.tffppodcast.com/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

[...]

Haha, it seems that I can go to that recording compressed package deleted.

Roger Stewart

It is so large because they recorded it in .wav format at a very high bitrate.  They should use mp3 in mono and 96k or even a bit lower for just speech like this.  Anyhow, I have it and will just convert them here.

Roger

On 9/30/2017 6:25 PM, David Moore wrote:

Exactly LOL!

I am downloading it as well, but it is only downloading at 18 KB/S. That is slower than my old dial up connection LOL!

I see as well, that the file size is over 950 MB. I could not figure out either why it is so large LOL! I hope we can download this faster, and shrink the file size!

Thanks a lot, guys, for getting these recordings. I can’t wait to listen to them!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I pasted in a download manager and its working. The only me concerns

me is the size which is 958 mb. Why it's so large?

On 9/30/17, Antony Stone <antony.stone@...> wrote:

> Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

> The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications

> can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the

> address,

> or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so

> therefore

> spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is

> continuous.

> Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is

> perfectly valid.

> The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that

> someone

> fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

> http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

> is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.

> Antony.

> On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via

> Groups.Io wrote:

>> You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking

>> this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something

>> else. brian

>> bglists@...

>> Sent via blueyonder.

>> Please address personal email to:-

>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>> in the display name field.

Sarah k Alawami

I can do that as well. Ic an even convert them to opus and normalize them, maybe run them through levelator, of that still works as the devs quit developing it for mac os. I know that when I use zoom it actually does the m4a stuff for me. I can't give an example as I don't have it anymore. I got rid of it. lol! but it sounds very very good. Anyway glad the server thing is working for you.

Take care

On Oct 1, 2017, at 7:47 AM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:

It is so large because they recorded it in .wav format at a very high bitrate.  They should use mp3 in mono and 96k or even a bit lower for just speech like this.  Anyhow, I have it and will just convert them here.

Roger

On 9/30/2017 6:25 PM, David Moore wrote:
Exactly LOL!
I am downloading it as well, but it is only downloading at 18 KB/S. That is slower than my old dial up connection LOL!
I see as well, that the file size is over 950 MB. I could not figure out either why it is so large LOL! I hope we can download this faster, and shrink the file size!
Thanks a lot, guys, for getting these recordings. I can’t wait to listen to them!
David Moore
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I pasted in a download manager and its working. The only me concerns
me is the size which is 958 mb. Why it's so large?

On 9/30/17, Antony Stone<antony.stone@...> wrote:
> Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.
> The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
> can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the
> address,
> or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so
> therefore
> spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
> continuous.
> Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
> perfectly valid.
> The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that
> someone
> fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.
> is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.
> Antony.
> On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
> Groups.Io wrote:
>> You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
>> this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
>> else. brian
>>
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

According to w3schools.org (the definitive source on all things html) the space character is not permitted in urls.  The page:

https://www.w3schools.com/TagS/ref_urlencode.asp

spaces *must* be encoded as something else, and depending on your character set, it can be any number of things, with the most common being a %20, but %21, %22, %23, and a handful of others as well may sometimes result.

It's up to the browser/program to perform the conversion.

Many tech sites claim spaces are allowed, but should be avoided because multiple spaces can be considered a security risk (for technical reasons), but since w3 are the folks that make the standard, I'm going with their take on it, which simply put states spaces aren't allowed in urls.

Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

As you say, "it is up to the browser/program to perform the conversion".

That means you can give your browser a URL with spaces in, and it will convert
it before making the request to the web server.

See http://al.dehy.de/example.html for an example.

That page contains a link to another page on the same server, the URL for
which contains a total of three space characters (not encoded using %20).

Antony.

Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of
achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words - and
this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's
Galaxy-wide success is founded - their fundamental design flaws are completely
hidden by their superficial design flaws."

- Douglas Noel Adams

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.