where is the nvda configuration folder on the computer?

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

%APPDATA%\nvda

The %APPDATA% folder is normally hidden in File Explorer.  I do not know whether you can do the direct navigation to it by typing the line above in the address box of File Explorer unless the Control Panel, File Explorer Options, View Tab radio button for Show hidden files, folders and drives is activated.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Tyler Spivey

You can type that in the address box or the run dialog and it'll bring you right there, even if that isn't enabled. I just tested it.

There's also an option in the start menu called Explore NVDA user configuration directory. Typing explore nvda into the search should get you there.

The last way to get there is by assigning a gesture to "Opens NVDA configuration directory for the current user."
I wish that was available somewhere in the NVDA menus, because the location and steps are completely different to get there for portable copies.

On 6/5/2022 3:34 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
%APPDATA%\nvda
The %APPDATA% folder is normally hidden in File Explorer.  I do not know whether you can do the direct navigation to it by typing the line above in the address box of File Explorer unless the Control Panel, File Explorer Options, View Tab radio button for /Show hidden files, folders and drives/ is activated.
/Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed./
~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

GOT instructions to go to configuration folder and delete remote.ini.
I did so and restarted nvda.
the remote folder still doesn't show up anywhere.

please advise?

larry

[...]

Go to the addons manager. What does it say for Remote Support?

-----Original Message----- From: Tyler Spivey via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2022 3:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
[...]

Rui Fontes

In add-on manager remote add-on is present?

If so, it is activated?

The remote folder is inside the sub-folder addons in the NVDA configurations folder...

Rui Fontes

Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2022 3:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

it says it's enabled. version 2.5

Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2022 3:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Ok, so now go to the NVDA menu, Tools, Remote. Is it not there?
If not, you'll have to check your NVDA log, because there's probably an error. Once we figure out what that is, we can fix it.

Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2022 3:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

no it's not there.
what log do I send you?

Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2022 3:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

INFO - __main__ (17:11:30.530) - MainThread (18904):
Starting NVDA version 2022.1
INFO - core.main (17:11:30.577) - MainThread (18904):
Config dir: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (17:11:30.593) - MainThread (18904):
INFO - core.main (17:11:30.706) - MainThread (18904):
Windows version: Windows 10 21H2 (10.0.19044) workstation
INFO - core.main (17:11:30.706) - MainThread (18904):
Using Python version 3.7.9 (tags/v3.7.9:13c94747c7, Aug 17 2020, 18:01:55) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (17:11:30.706) - MainThread (18904):
Using comtypes version 1.1.8
INFO - core.main (17:11:30.706) - MainThread (18904):
Using configobj version 5.1.0 with validate version 1.0.1
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (17:11:31.065) - MainThread (18904):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
WARNING - mathPres.initialize (17:11:31.085) - MainThread (18904):
MathPlayer 4 not available
INFO - core.main (17:11:31.085) - MainThread (18904):
Using wx version 4.1.1 msw (phoenix) wxWidgets 3.1.5 with six version 1.16.0
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (17:11:31.085) - MainThread (18904):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (17:11:31.090) - MainThread (18904):
Using liblouis version 3.21.0
INFO - braille.initialize (17:11:31.090) - MainThread (18904):
Using pySerial version 3.5
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (17:11:31.095) - MainThread (18904):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
INFO - core.main (17:11:31.325) - MainThread (18904):
Java Access Bridge support initialized
INFO - UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (17:11:31.405) - UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThread (43976):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation6
ERROR - globalPluginHandler.initialize (17:11:31.530) - MainThread (18904):
Error initializing global plugin <class 'globalPlugins.remoteClient.GlobalPlugin'>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "globalPluginHandler.pyc", line 33, in initialize
File "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\TeleNVDA\globalPlugins\remoteClient\__init__.py", line 59, in __init__
raise RuntimeError("TeleNVDA cannot be used while NVDA Remote is running. Please, disable NVDA Remote and restart NVDA.")
RuntimeError: TeleNVDA cannot be used while NVDA Remote is running. Please, disable NVDA Remote and restart NVDA.
INFO - core.main (17:11:31.545) - MainThread (18904):
NVDA initialized
INFO - config.ConfigManager.save (17:11:34.575) - MainThread (18904):
Base configuration saved

Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2022 3:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Go into the addons manager and remove TeleNVDA.
Apparently you can only use one of them.

larry k <sirlaurence.larry@...>

THAT DID IT. thank you.

Go into the addons manager and remove TeleNVDA.
Apparently you can only use one of them.

Brian's Mail list account

For those asking about the log. I made this quick and dirty batch file up to reboot nvda and load the last log into Notepad.
Don't shoot me just yet.
@echo off
cd "%temp%"
start /WAIT nvda.exe -q

start notepad.exe nvda.log
rem, this line just kicks its heels for a bit to make sure the log is loaded into notepad before rebooting nvda.
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1>nul
start nvda.exe

exit

bglists@...