Where to get the latest version of the NVDA Advanced OCR (NAO) Add-On

Simone Dal Maso

Hello all and many Christmas!
We are proud to tell you that a new version of Nao is available.
This is the last version for 2021.
We have added new features and solved some bugs, here is the list:
• OCR of pdf and images are presented in a new text window, with some hotkeys for simple operations; in this manner we automatically solved the incompatibility with third party addons; shortcuts are:
◦ PgUp / PgDown: move the cursor between real pages of a multipages document.
◦ P: report page number related to the cursor position, in a multipage document.
◦ l: report line number related to the cursor position, in a multipage document.
◦ c: copy all text to the clipboard.
◦ s: Save a copy of the document in text format.
◦ f: find text and read some words before and after the string.
• Support for the Xplorer filemanager.
• Nao shortcuts are customizable from the Input Gestures Dialog of NVDA. Open NVDA menu, go to preferences, and from that submenu select input gestures dialog. Remember that this feature is not global, but it works only where Nao can make an ocr. So gestures will appear only if you are in the desktop, or in file explorer, Total Commander or Xplorer.
• Nao works only where possible, so if you are in a not supported window, the hotkey will be ignored by the addon; this solved an important issue where Excel and Word users couldn't press the NVDA-Shift-r keystroke, since it was incorrectly intercepted by Nao.
• A long Ocr process can be aborted simply pressing the "Cancel" button on the progress bar window. this window also gives you information about the state of the OCR, updating informations every 5 seconds. You can configure how to receive progress bar information with the standard NVDA-u command.
• Added Turkish, Russian, Spanish, Chinese and french translations.
• Users can make donations to the project.
• Fixed a bug with some characters on the file name that prevents the Ocr to work properly.

Download it from:
www.nvda-nao.org/download

Please, if you find critical bugs, write an email to:
support@nvda-nao.org

We hope this addon will improve your productivity.

See you in 2022!

Simone,

I'm not sure if you're sending these messages by e-mail, or using the web interface to post, but if it's the latter I'd like to ask you to go to any line where you have pasted in a web address or email address, go to the end, and hit space.  That will force Groups.io to convert plain text for either of these to click through links.

Download the NVDA Advanced OCR Add-On from:
www.nvda-nao.org/download

Please, if you find critical bugs, write an email to:
support@...

Here's wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a 2022 full of all the best!

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Cool, good you have a domain.

Thats gona make it easier to administrait thhe thing rather than a hecking long github page.

On 25/12/2021 7:16 am, Simone Dal Maso wrote:
[...]

.

David Moore

Thank you all for this incredible add-on I read a PDF image with this add-on! I am so grateful to the NVDA community! This is a great Christmas present! I use NVDA as my only screen screen reader! Thank you so much!

mcLeod stinnett

--
from mack if anyone is having trouble downloading the file with Edge, as I did, try it with firefox, works flawlessly.

Rowen Cary

Hello, Thank you for your efforts, this add-on is very good. I am a user of Simplified Chinese. I found an error and provided related test cases via email. Thanks

Simone Dal Maso kindly wrote:
Download the NVDA Advanced OCR Add-On from:
www.nvda-nao.org/download

Please, if you find critical bugs, write an email to:
support@...
-
I am giving the above a bump due to a topic this morning asking about this.  The link given as an answer does get you the NVDA Advanced OCR Add-On, but not the most recent version.  I'm sure it was current when originally posted, but that doesn't matter, it's not now.

The above link, which was given by the add-on's developer, will always obtain the latest revision of the NVDA Advanced OCR Add-On.  Thus, it is the one that should be used, at the very least it should be used until the Add-On "becomes official" and offered through the NVDA Add-Ons Directory.  It will likely work afterward, too.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Simone Dal Maso

Hello,

I write a little message because I'd like to clarify some points:

1. On version 2021.2 we prepared a special link that you can use to retrieve always the latest stable version.

So please, we you want to download Nao, use this:

https://nvda-nao.org/download

2. We developed a new version just 2 days ago, the 2022.1.  In this version we included the auto update feature.

In this manner when a new stable version will be released, you will be notified and the autoupdate procedure will start, if you want.

As you see, the addon is quite young, and we needed of time for setting up some common operations. We have a domain, the autoupdate is now working, we have a support email...

Thank you for all people that make reviews, donations, translations and report bugs.

Have a nice sunday and a good year!