Whether or not recommending new NVDA user to set Capslock as NVDA key

William

Hi all,

I would like to ask for your opinion.

Some new NVDA users, including desktop and laptop owners, will ask for my opinion on whether they should set the Capslock as the NVDA key.

With regard to desktop and laptop environment, the logic that I have provided them are as follows:

1. setting Capslock key as NVDA key, you have to press the key two times in order to input capital letters. But if you have to frequently press the Capslock key to type capital letters, then setting Capslock key as NVDA key will not be a good option.

2. setting Capslock key as NVDA key, you have one more option of NVDA key, which you can choose from using the Capslock key or Insert key as the NVDA key. But if you do not set Capslock as NVDA key, you will most probably have to limit to pressing Insert key (laptop) or Insert key or Numpad 0 (desktop).

How would you advice new NVDA users if they own a desktop or laptop regarding this issue? thanks.

Sarah k Alawami

I use the capslock key even in desktop mode as for me the keys just make better sence. I don't mind hitting capslock twice, this actually has saved me from oopsies, such as shouthign at people. Lol!

[...]

Well its prefference.
I mean I like the capslock as modifier key because of its central location.
And I set all my boxes like that but insert on my laptop is not in the
right place and I have got used to it.
Caps lock is always in the same place.
Of course if you need to use caps a lot then maybe not no rule its
user experience.

[...]

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

it's up to the user's preference, he will decide if he wants one key or another. the computer is his, so he must know how to choose what is best for him
but anyway I think it would be better to leave all keys enabled, you never know when you will have a problem with these keys

--
eduardo fermiano luccas
joinville, brasil

Chris Mullins

Hi

I always set Caps Lock as an NVDA modifier Because as a touch typist, it is more convenient to have a modifier key on each side of the keyboard to facilitate command entry.   For the same reason, I always get an external keyboard with 2 Windows keys.

I rarely type in all capitals so the double press of the Caps Lock to engage capital input is not an issue as using the shift key is not difficult.

Cheers

                Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Bob Cavanaugh

Does JAWS have this option? The only reason I ask is because JAWS was
the first screen reader I used, and this was not the modifier.
Therefore, I've found it quite strange to use that key, even though
NVDA has had it as an option ever since I've been using it. It's also
why I wasn't a fan of the revamped Narrator when it came out, because
that was its only modifier. That being said, it's really user
preference as has been stated before.

On 5/23/22, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:
[...]

Carlos Medrano

Hmm. I usually tell people to try it both ways. Keep in mind that I'm considering this from the perspective of having key echo turned off and being really aggravated to find out that I've been coding for the last 5 to 10 minutes in upper case. Most programming languages are case sensitive, and depending on the programming style used, it's rare for me to write anything in upper case.

Having Capslock used as a modifier by NVDA makes it much harder for me to accidentally enable it in this particular case.

Hope this is helpful.

On 5/23/2022 12:38 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
[...]

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 01:39 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Does JAWS have this option?
-
I don't know whether JAWS allows the simultaneous use of either Insert (default JAWS key for desktop keyboard layout) and CAPS LOCK (laptop layout) at the same time, but it definitely uses CAPS LOCK as the modifier key for laptop keyboard layout.

I know of very few users, whether of JAWS or NVDA, that use laptop keyboard layout since most laptops that are 15" or larger have had full keyboards with number pads for quite a while now.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Sarah k Alawami

Yes, jfw has this option, has since 3.1 which was about 20 years ago if I recall, hence nvda has this option as well.

[...]

I thought it was the opposite; most laptops are getting rid of the number pad these days? I don't think I've ran into a 15" laptop that does not have a full sized keyboard in a while. Not sure about the 17" laptops though.

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 02:07 PM, Carlos Medrano wrote:
I thought it was the opposite; most laptops are getting rid of the number pad these days?
-
I haven't seen them disappearing except in the netbook space, which is not really a laptop, but an emailing and web browsing machine.  Once you get below 15-inch screens, though, many don't have number pads because there's just no way to fit them in the space available without making the main keyboard "too small for average human hands."

Whether a screen reader is involved or not, any business related use of a laptop is going to rely heavily on having a full-sized keyboard with a number pad included.

I've never encountered a 17-inch machine that doesn't have a number pad.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Monte Single

I have never seen a 15 inch laptop that did not have a number pad.

Hey, I’ve been wrong before!

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 02:07 PM, Carlos Medrano wrote:

I thought it was the opposite; most laptops are getting rid of the number pad these days?

-
I haven't seen them disappearing except in the netbook space, which is not really a laptop, but an emailing and web browsing machine.  Once you get below 15-inch screens, though, many don't have number pads because there's just no way to fit them in the space available without making the main keyboard "too small for average human hands."

Whether a screen reader is involved or not, any business related use of a laptop is going to rely heavily on having a full-sized keyboard with a number pad included.

I've never encountered a 17-inch machine that doesn't have a number pad.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Sarah k Alawami

I’m going to see my bf  in September, he has a 15 inch laptop. I cant’ remember if it has a numpad or not, Mine does but I don’t like using it and wish it were just gone. Now I’m curious as I don’t recall his laptop having a number pad. But it’s been 3 years since I last saw him so I too could be wrong.

[...]

Rui Fontes

Some newer laptops with 15.6 or 16 inch screen do not have numeric keypad...

Examples are MSI, Dell and some gaming lines from ASUS...

Rui Fontes

Às 20:20 de 23/05/2022, Sarah k Alawami escreveu:

[...]

Luke Davis

Monte Single wrote:

I have never seen a 15 inch laptop that did not have a number pad.
I have. The older HP 15 sitting in front of me doesn't.
A family member just bought either an otherwise normal (i.e. non-netbook) Acer or Asus 15 incher which doesn't.

And I picked up one, one of the big manufacturers but I forget which, back in 2020 that was a 15". It showed a numpad on Amazon, but didn't have one when it arrived. It turned out there were multiple versions of the model, and the picture was for a different one than shipped.

I decided that was too much of a grab-bag, returned it, and spent $300 more on an MSI instead. And never looked back.

Luke

William

I do programming as well, many variables and function names include both upper case and lower case.

and many of my passwords used in login in include upper and lower case.

So personally I do not use Capslock as NVDA key.

But for new NVDA users, I will try to explain to them the possible benefits and problems of setting Capslock as NVDA key and let them choose.

But many of them are newly blind people, and they do not have the knowledge to decide on themselves on whether they should set Capslock as NVDA key or not.

Carlos Medrano 於 24/5/2022 01:55 寫道:

[...]

Tyler Wood

Personally, for me, I prefer capslock. This is mainly because I've trained myself to stop relying on the numpad in my daily use - with most laptops not offering it. Now I find it slightly convenient for desktop layout (which, by the way, can still be used for most navigation commands even if laptop mode is selected in NVDA's keyboard settings), but often times, even when it is available, I find myself reverting to alternative commands from muscle memory.
It's all personal preference - I personally am very adaptable teaching students but I also feel like it's important to offer any alternative available. The numpad insert key may not be there on a laptop, or like me, they may grow to feel more comfortable using capslock as a modifier key, so I think it's important to not only demonstrate desktop commands but laptop as well. I know far too many who rely on the numpad due to how they were initially taught - and at this point, I'm far more proficient using the top number row for data entry than I ever was using the number pad, so perhaps I'm biased.