Why is the NVDA report time not accurate to the second


Rowen Cary
 

 
Hi friends,
 
As the title says, when you press NVDA + F12, only hours and minutes are reported, and seconds are not included.
 
By reading the source code of NVDA, I found that there may be a reason:
 
text=winKernel.GetTimeFormatEx(winKernel.LOCALE_NAME_USER_DEFAULT, winKernel.TIME_NOSECONDS, None, None)
 
Set the second parameter of this function to None to make NVDA's time report include seconds.
This is very Easy, I want to know why NVAccess did not do this? Is there something I overlooked?
 
Thanks every friend


Gene
 

I can't speak for the developers but I haven't seen any screen-reader that does that nor any talking clock. I believe there may be an NVDA add-on that allows the user to do this but I think most users would be really annoyed if that were the default behavior. I certainly wouldn't want to hear seconds announced as a general rule when I check the time.

I just checked and there is an add-on that will let you do all sorts of things with features regarding time.
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clock.en.html

Whenever you want to add functionality or be able to change something with more options, check to see if there is an add-on. Who knows what someone wanted and developed.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
From: Rowen Cary
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 5:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Why is the NVDA report time not accurate to the second



Hi friends,

As the title says, when you press NVDA + F12, only hours and minutes are reported, and seconds are not included.

By reading the source code of NVDA, I found that there may be a reason:

text=winKernel.GetTimeFormatEx(winKernel.LOCALE_NAME_USER_DEFAULT, winKernel.TIME_NOSECONDS, None, None)

Set the second parameter of this function to None to make NVDA's time report include seconds.
This is very Easy, I want to know why NVAccess did not do this? Is there something I overlooked?

Thanks every friend


 

Seconds are a moving target a number of which are consumed by the announcement of the hours and minutes, and that number will vary depending on the exact hour and minute combination being announced.  So they'd always be inaccurate by the time they are announced.  Though the same can be said for both hours and minutes depending on the exact moment time is fetched, having either one of those change as the verbalization is made is far less frequent.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Brian and List,

I believe there is an add on for this feature--for what it's worth.


On 4/20/2021 9:27 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Seconds are a moving target a number of which are consumed by the announcement of the hours and minutes, and that number will vary depending on the exact hour and minute combination being announced.  So they'd always be inaccurate by the time they are announced.  Though the same can be said for both hours and minutes depending on the exact moment time is fetched, having either one of those change as the verbalization is made is far less frequent.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


 

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 10:11 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
I believe there is an add on for this feature--for what it's worth.
-
And I believe you're referring to Clock and Calendar Add-On for NVDA.  There's also Time Zoner for those who need to deal with multiple time zones frequently.

I hadn't looked at the NVDA Stable Add-Ons page as this is not a need I have, but it's always worth doing so to see if someone else did and created an add-on to fulfill that need.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 


bering.p
 

Hi,
There is also the "NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin" add-on which has an option for this:
v9.7
Best regards.
Paul.
Le 20/04/2021 16:45, Brian Vogel a écrit :

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 10:11 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
I believe there is an add on for this feature--for what it's worth.
-
And I believe you're referring to Clock and Calendar Add-On for NVDA.  There's also Time Zoner for those who need to deal with multiple time zones frequently.

I hadn't looked at the NVDA Stable Add-Ons page as this is not a need I have, but it's always worth doing so to see if someone else did and created an add-on to fulfill that need.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

 



Rowen Cary
 

Thanks to everyone who participated in the reply. I actually want to know what considerations are in the development level. My friends and I need such a function. I also developed an add-on with a similar function.

Thanks.


Luke Davis
 

Rowen Cary wrote:

Thanks to everyone who participated in the reply. I actually want to know what considerations are in the development level. My friends and I need such a
function.
If you do make something that announces time to the second, make sure that the seconds announcement is generated just before speaking.

In sudocode, I mean:

fetch hours, minutes
speak hours
speak colon
speak minutes
speak colon
fetch seconds
speak seconds

Luke


Chris Mullins
 

Hi

What happens if a new minute starts between when you   fetch minutes then seconds? All elements of the time should be captured at the same point.  There will always be a lag between when you grab the time and hear the announcement of it but at least the time will be consistent.

 

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Luke Davis
Sent: 21 April 2021 07:20
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Why is the NVDA report time not accurate to the second

 

Rowen Cary wrote:

 

> Thanks to everyone who participated in the reply. I actually want to know what considerations are in the development level. My friends and I need such a

> function.

 

If you do make something that announces time to the second, make sure that the

seconds announcement is generated just before speaking.

 

In sudocode, I mean:

 

fetch hours, minutes

speak hours

speak colon

speak minutes

speak colon

fetch seconds

speak seconds

 

Luke

 

 

 

 

 

 


Luke Davis
 

Chris Mullins wrote:

What happens if a new minute starts between when you   fetch minutes then seconds? All elements of the time should be captured at the same point.  There
will always be a lag between when you grab the time and hear the announcement of it but at least the time will be consistent.
Obviously, it depends on what the user in this case is doing with it.

If seconds are most important, it may even be better to put them on their own shortcut key.

It all depends on what this particular user needs. You may need consistency of time. He may need accurate seconds and not care about minutes.

Anyway, this horse is very very dead.

Luke