From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Robinett
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2020 1:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Why isn’t there a browse mode for windows desktop apps?

When navigating webpages, it’s possible to use single key navigation to move by different elements such as lists, form fields,links etc. but browse mode is not available in standard windows desktop apps. Why is this? It would be great to have that same functionality

Damien Garwood

Hi Joseph,
I guess it depends what is meant by "desktop apps". Apps like GoldWave and Reaper that don't contain any kind of web-based element, I would totally agree. But I think I can see the slight issue with such as settings screens like windows security and windows update that contain hyperlinks but don't seem to have a browse mode to view the context in which those links are presented. I've often clicked on a link thinking that's the way to change a setting when actually it's nothing more than a link leading to some kind of help resource.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 30/08/2020 10:08 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Apart from recent apps, traditional desktop apps are not really web documents nor exposes elements in a way that is suitable for browse mode navigation. Therefore there is no need for a dedicated browse mode functionality.
Cheers,
Joseph

When navigating webpages, it’s possible to use single key navigation
to move by different elements such as lists, form fields,links etc.
but browse mode is not available in standard windows desktop apps. Why
is this? It would be great to have that same functionality

Andre Fisher

Hi.

While I do agree, I've seen where Narrator, using scan mode, and JAWS, using scan cursor, can treat the Settings app as if it were a browse mode document, and to great effect. I think this should definitely be considered.