Why, oh why can I not get my choice of NVDA audio output device to stay as I set it?

Curtis Delzer

When I save my configuration, and tell my preferred synthesizer to use a particular sound card, save the configuration by hitting nvda-control-c, then even ask NVDA to use this configuration when the computer boots, etc. and then reload NVDA, I still get "microsoft sound mapper," what am I doing wrong?

I DO NOT ALWAYS wish sound mapper, I wish only my particular sound device to be used. Here's an example;

If ms sound mapper is used, if I am recording a remote broadcast and routing it to let's say line one of virtual audio cable, that is also Microsoft's sound mapper since that is from where the remote broadcast comes in through Edge, right?

So if I tell NVDA to only use my sound card, why oh why is not that part of the saved configuration? I ONLY WISH NVDA to use what I tell it too, not to re-do sound mapper.

How many times does windows' figure they know more than we do?

--
Curtis Delzer
H.S.

Jackie

Curtis, have you tried setting this in control panel > speech
recognition > text-to-speech>audio output?

On 10/6/21, Curtis Delzer <curtis@calweb.com> wrote:
[...]

Are you using the select synthesizer dialog in NVDA to make the change?  Are you selecting what you want to be used and then activating the ok button?  If so, and if the change isn’t retained, there is a problem but I’m not sure what it is.  The function should work properly.

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:56 PM
Subject: [nvda] why, oh why?

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 07:02 PM, Jackie wrote:
control panel > speech recognition > text-to-speech>audio output?
-
Quick note - I've retitled the topic so that the subject actually reveals the issue.  This is important for the group archive.

As Jackie has noted, some of this is determined by NVDA but other parts are determined by Windows.  My suspicion is that if this is tweakable within NVDA, it's a temporary tweak for the duration of the NVDA session currently running and if it's tweaked in Windows it's permanent until and unless you were to change it again.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

I don’t know what the problem is.  the following procedure is permanent if there is no problem.
Control NVDA key s, then tab once to a combo box where you select the soundcard to be used, then activate the ok button.  Save the configuration with control NVDA key c, if you don’t have NVDA set to automatically save the current configuration on exit.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Why, oh why can I not get my choice of NVDA audio output device to stay as I set it?

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 07:02 PM, Jackie wrote:
control panel > speech recognition > text-to-speech>audio output?
-
Quick note - I've retitled the topic so that the subject actually reveals the issue.  This is important for the group archive.

As Jackie has noted, some of this is determined by NVDA but other parts are determined by Windows.  My suspicion is that if this is tweakable within NVDA, it's a temporary tweak for the duration of the NVDA session currently running and if it's tweaked in Windows it's permanent until and unless you were to change it again.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Quentin Christensen

Gene,

Making a change to any of NVDA's settings and pressing the OK (or apply) button, simply changes the current setting, but does not save the change.  NVDA by default is set to save its configuration on exit, and as long as NVDA exits normally (eg it doesn't crash) that should be fine.  If you have turned that setting off though, you will need to save your configuration manually by pressing NVDA+control+c.

The original poster mentioned they had saved with NVDA+control+c so this seems like a different issue.  FWIW, I just went into NVDA's synthesizer settings, changed my output device, saved and restarted NVDA and it came up using the output device I had changed to, so that seems to work as advertised.  For Curtis - If NVDA is starting on system startup, I wonder if it could be that the device you are intending to use isn't ready yet and that is why it falls back to the Microsoft Sound mapper?  If you make the change, save settings and then restart NVDA, what sound device is selected?  If that works then it might be the device not being ready on system startup, although I can't think of a workaround for that offhand.

Quentin.

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:56 PM

[...]

Training and Support Manager

Gene

I saw that the user manually saved the setting.  I wanted to make sure exactly what the person was doing throughout so I described the procedure.  While it appears the correct ;procedure is being followed, if it varies from what I described, the person can change what he is doing.  I didn’t want to assume the correct ;procedure when the actual procedure itself wasn’t described.  If the correct procedure is being followed, then I don’t know what is causing the problem.

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:56 PM

[...]

Brian,

I've been wondering this for ages - when a topic gets renamed like you have done, it makes it appear like a separate thread in Gmail - which is why, especially when I come back after a few days - I'll read from oldest unread to newest, and reply to things which don't seem to have been replied to, but then I find newer replies in what appear to be separate threads.  Looking at them on the groups.io web interface, they appear correctly.  But do you know is there a way of making it appear as one thread in email?  The thread seems to break where you posted renaming it.

Quentin

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 6:10 PM

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 07:02 PM, Jackie wrote:
control panel > speech recognition > text-to-speech>audio output?
-
Quick note - I've retitled the topic so that the subject actually reveals the issue.  This is important for the group archive.

As Jackie has noted, some of this is determined by NVDA but other parts are determined by Windows.  My suspicion is that if this is tweakable within NVDA, it's a temporary tweak for the duration of the NVDA session currently running and if it's tweaked in Windows it's permanent until and unless you were to change it again.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

That's ok, I just wanted to clarify for anyone reading that pressing OK in the settings dialog doesn't actually save the settings to the saved configuration.

The argument could be made either way for whether it should or not, although not all changes are obvious from within the settings dialog, and if you break something, by NOT saving it automatically when you exit the dialog, you can then press NVDA+control+r to revert to the previously saved configuration.

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:56 PM

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 07:47 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
But do you know is there a way of making it appear as one thread in email?
-
Quentin,

The most direct answer:  I do not know.

The convoluted one, which includes some crumbs on the trail:  How items are threaded is, generally, dependent on the email client being used, and whether or not same allows you to change threading parameters.  Certain ones allow you to thread based on message IDs, which remain consistent no matter what the subject, so people can change the subject line with impunity, as the client will look for the message ID under which that reply should be placed.  This is becoming a rare way of doing it, with threading by subject becoming more popular in a big way.

No matter what I do, I'm kinda stuck.  Changing the subject will break threading for some, which is why I announce that I've done it, and also ask people going forward from that message forward to please reply to that message, not to any that used the old subject line, or else I'm spending tons of time merging old and new topic in Groups.io itself.  But I think it's critically important for subject lines as they appear in the archive to be clearly indicative of what the content of a message/topic actually is.  Generic topics do not help those who are using the archive to do "quick and dirty" filtering among search results to decide what they really want to read.

Archive maintenance also ends up involving lots of merging of topics where someone has either intentionally (less likely, but it does happen when someone decides to fix spelling, capitalization, etc., in a Subject line) or accidentally changes a single character in a topic.  This breaks threading in Groups.io, which does its own threading using the subject itself as the primary key.  When you give a new title to an existing topic, all existing messages in that topic do end up threaded under the new title, regardless of what the original subject line for each message may have been.

If I don't change the subject then the archive has tons of non-descriptive topics that leave mystery for future searchers, such as the one that this topic had originally.

I don't know if you're using Gmail's web interface or an e-mail client.  Whichever you're using, I'd try a web search on that coupled with something like "change threading behavior" or "change threading" to see what pops up.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Quentin Christensen

Thanks Brian, that's ok, I knew about message IDs and how you can (should) be able to change the subject and have it still part of the same thread.  I actually hadn't looked into how Gmail threads (and it makes it impossible to see most of the headers anyway, short of saving the message and viewing it in a text editor).  I'll have to make sure to only take small breaks from the group :)

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 11:21 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
[...]

 OK, my point exactly, though I saved the configuration with NVDA+CONTROL+c, then just restarting NVDA, the device I told NVDA  to use is again NOT selected but Microsoft sound mapper which I DO NOT WANT. The device is running because my computer doesn't take power from the device since it is plugged into a powered hub, but NVDA insists on using sound mapper.

So, as I'd mentioned if I am recording off the net through Edge and redirecting it to virtual cable line one which with edge is using Microsoft sound mapper, restart NVDA for any reason, it reverts to sound mapper and any speech then gets recorded, destroying any recording I've done with what my synthesizer is saying.

No thanks, :) and I then need to start the recording all over, etc.

btw I hadn't seen other replies to  this message, just Quentin's, thank you.

and I discovered, that "unmute audio" add-on has a configuration which resets to original device"

so that was the culpritt.

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:56 PM

[...]

Ah glad you got to the bottom of it.  I had run out of ideas :)

(Unmute audio add-on was the culprit)

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:56 PM

[...]

That’s an important thing to know.  I wouldn’t have thought of an add-on causing the problem.

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:56 PM

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Have you reset nvda, reinstalled it, done a scan for mailware, done the dcim thing etc?  I’m no thaving this issue, it keeps my thing at line 2 when I need it.

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 5:56 PM

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 10:02 PM, Gene wrote:
I wouldn’t have thought of an add-on causing the problem.
-
Very often, I'd say in the vast majority of cases, neither would I.  But that's one of the reasons that restarting with add-ons disabled is part of The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues that are required to have been taken prior to filing an issue.

It's so easy to do, and once it becomes a part of your basic troubleshooting arsenal, you find that add-ons are an issue more often than you may ever have presumed.

         ~ John F. Kennedy