Will NVDA running from a USB stick on a friends PC leave any files behind after use?

Blaster

Hello list, I was asked a question that I couldn't answer because it's
been quite a while since I used NVDA running from a USB stick on
another person's PC, so I'm hoping someone can answer this one for me.

Will NVDA running on a USB stick on another person's PC leave any
files or setting changes behind that would require a little clean up
after use?

Thanks for any info,
Blaster

Not any that I'm aware of.  For Portable NVDA all of the files, folders, etc., that the program itself uses and depends upon are resident on the USB jump drive and do not get copied anywhere.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Blaster

Thanks Brian, Since I have NVDA installed on all of my PC's I
couldn't be sure.

Take care,
Blaster

Not any that I'm aware of. For Portable NVDA all of the files, folders,
etc., that the program itself uses and depends upon are resident on the USB
jump drive and do not get copied anywhere.

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.
The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression,
which are contained in and actuated by the body. What you do and say is the
clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

Luke Davis

Blaster wrote:

Will NVDA running on a USB stick on another person's PC leave any
files or setting changes behind that would require a little clean up
Hypothetically, no. However if you are using any add-ons in the version of NVDA on the stick, it can't be guaranteed that none of those are badly written enough to do that.
Community approved add-ons shouldn't have this problem, but those from other sources could.

An add-on can write to anywhere on the system that the current user can write too, although I'm sure most of them don't have any reason to do that.

If you stick to those from https://addons.nvda-project.org (or the "get add-ons" button in the manager), and the ones you choose don't specifically say they will be writing files, then you shouldn't have a problem with add-ons.

As far as settings changes: a portable copy shouldn't change any settings that I can think of, at least not in a negative way.

Luke

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 06:31 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
As far as settings changes: a portable copy shouldn't change any settings that I can think of, at least not in a negative way.
-
And, to be honest, were a "rogue add-on" actually write out a file, somewhere, it is very highly unlikely that the "somewhere" is a location that the end user is likely to visit.  The number of temp files that get created by all sorts of programs that no one ever sees is large.  Hence the reason for temp file cleaning utilities as well, because many programs that create these sorts of files don't "tidy up after themselves" as they should.

This is one of those situations where there are too many variables to be able give a definitive answer without having them all nailed down.

But we're both in agreement that the probability is that portable NVDA, even with add-ons in use, is unlikely to leave any trace of itself behind.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Blaster

Thanks Luke, I'll pass that good advice on and it's much appreciated.

Take care,
Blaster