Topics

Win10 system restore

Pascal Lambert

Hi,

Anyone knows why restore points disappear?  Each time I setup one, it is gone after few weeks.  I even increased the allocated memory amount and my terabyte drive is 85% empty.  I would appreciate any feedback/suggestion.

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

Windows has never kept "an infinite list" of restore points, but tends to keep them for the last 4 or 5 major actions.

When you get to the Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event dialog, do you have the checkbox for Show more restore points checked?  If not, you'll see only one, the most recent one.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Pascal Lambert

The problem here is that I see none!  My last one is not there!

Is there something I am not doing or checking to have the restore point remains till I delete it?

Many thanks

Blessings

Pascal

Windows has never kept "an infinite list" of restore points, but tends to keep them for the last 4 or 5 major actions.

When you get to the Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event dialog, do you have the checkbox for Show more restore points checked?  If not, you'll see only one, the most recent one.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

It just sounds like odd things that may happen with System Restore.  I once had all my restore points disappear from my Windows 7 machine.  it never happened again.  I don't know why it would happen every few weeks that all your restore points disappear and System restore is a lot more reliable than it was in Windows XP but I still don't completely trust it.  There may be a third party utility you may want to use or try or you may want to create drive clones at times so you can revert.  I don't know enough to discuss cloning more.

Gene

Windows has never kept "an infinite list" of restore points, but tends to keep them for the last 4 or 5 major actions.

When you get to the Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event dialog, do you have the checkbox for Show more restore points checked?  If not, you'll see only one, the most recent one.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

I just wrote elsewhere that one should never trust System Protection as a primary "recovery" method.   It's great when it works, but very often multiple restore points will fail to restore.

Anyone using a computer these days that has a concern about being able to roll back or recover data should be using a third-party (per Microsoft's own recommendation) full system image backup and recovery solution, preferably to two different external backup drives that one alternates between with each backup.  Even if you're using only one external backup drive, but storing it somewhere likely protected from any real disaster like fire or flood, that might befall your computer itself you're on far better footing than trusting System Protection.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Pascal Lambert

Thanks Brian and Gene for your helpful answers on this issue.