win 10 power settings

Don H

Running latest version of Win 10 and NVDA 2021-2.
I have searched and searched for the check box to enable or disable fast startup and NVDA doesn't read it if it is there. Am I missing something?

John Isige

On 11/13/2021 4:11 PM, Don H wrote:
Running latest version of Win 10 and NVDA 2021-2.
I have searched and searched for the check box to enable or disable
fast startup and NVDA doesn't read it if it is there.  Am I missing
something?

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

do you have another screen reader? if yes, open it and do the same thing you did with NVDA... that's all I can tell you, the rest I leave for other users to talk.

Em sáb., 13 de nov. de 2021 às 19:11, Don H <lmddh50@...> escreveu:

Running latest version of Win 10 and NVDA 2021-2.
I have searched and searched for the check box to enable or disable fast
startup and NVDA doesn't read it if it is there.  Am I missing something?

Don H

I followed the instructions from the link provided and had sighted help
look at the screen No fast startup option is shown.

On 11/13/2021 4:31 PM, John Isige wrote:
Give this a shot and see if it helps.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/213195423-How-To-Disable-Fast-Startup-in-Windows-10

On 11/13/2021 4:11 PM, Don H wrote:
Running latest version of Win 10 and NVDA 2021-2.
I have searched and searched for the check box to enable or disable
fast startup and NVDA doesn't read it if it is there.  Am I missing
something?

Gene

I don’t know what the problem is but unless or until you can disable it, you can easily work around the problem.  I can’t tell you just how often to do so, but perhaps every three or four days, do a restart, not a shutdown.  If you do that, Windows will completely reboot.  If fast boot is currently on, it won’t fully reboot if you shut down and then start the computer again.

You can experiment if you wish.  You may be able to go longer without a restart.  If you don’t do a restart at intervals, you will have performance problems just as you would if you let your computer run and never rebooted.

If you install programs or do anything where a full boot of Windows is needed, use restart.

Gene
I followed the instructions from the link provided and had sighted help
look at the screen No fast startup option is shown.

On 11/13/2021 4:31 PM, John Isige wrote:
> Give this a shot and see if it helps.
>

> https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/213195423-How-To-Disable-Fast-Startup-in-Windows-10
>

> On 11/13/2021 4:11 PM, Don H wrote:
>> Running latest version of Win 10 and NVDA 2021-2.
>> I have searched and searched for the check box to enable or disable
>> fast startup and NVDA doesn't read it if it is there.  Am I missing
>> something?

tim

Fa low the trail.

windows key, type control panel in search hit enter.

Now hit P until on power settings hit enter.

now when it opens up tab to Chose what the power buttons do hit enter.

When that opens up you are on Change settings that are currently not available so hit enter.

Just tab your way to fast start and do as you want.

On 11/13/2021 5:11 PM, Don H wrote:
Running latest version of Win 10 and NVDA 2021-2.
I have searched and searched for the check box to enable or disable fast startup and NVDA doesn't read it if it is there.  Am I missing something?

Don H

Figured it out. you need the hybernate option enabled before the fast
startup shows up. For some reason on my laptop hybernate was off.

On 11/13/2021 6:15 PM, tim wrote:
Fa low the trail.

windows key, type control panel in search hit enter.

Now hit P until on power settings hit enter.

now when it opens up tab to Chose what the power buttons do hit enter.

When that opens up you are on Change settings that are currently not
available so hit enter.

Just tab your way to fast start and do as you want.

On 11/13/2021 5:11 PM, Don H wrote:
Running latest version of Win 10 and NVDA 2021-2.
I have searched and searched for the check box to enable or disable
fast startup and NVDA doesn't read it if it is there.  Am I missing
something?

Arlene

Way to go. Glad you figured it out.

Sent from Mail for Windows