Windows10 - NVDA - MS Teams - Meetings

Russell James

Greetings,

I'm looking for best practices for using NVDA with MS Teams meetings.

In the past I have often attended MS Teams meetings from my Android device.
Without the video which makes it similar to a phone conference call.
On that platform the screen reader is not heard by the meeting.

The few times I have joined a ZOOM meeting from Windows10 while using NVDA the meeting could hear my screen reader till I turned it off...
I'd like to avoid situations like that...

Now I'm interested in best ways to attend/present during MS Teams meetings on Windows10 while using NVDA.
I'm specifically interested in knowing if there are ways to use NVDA without the meeting hearing the screen reader audio.
There are probably helpful settings and audio accessories to support this.

Fortunately, there is a lot of accessibility documentation for MS Teams on multiple platforms.
Unfortunately, this makes it very time consuming to find these specific details...

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Russ

The only way I know of to achieve what you're looking for is to have a separate sound card through which NVDA's audio is routed, and this has been discussed a multitude of times on this group for a variety of reasons.

You would then need to use an earpiece that transmits the NVDA audio to one of your ears.   All other audio/video would be going through "the usual channels" on the computer in question.

This setup allows you to isolate NVDA audio such that only you can hear it.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Russell James

Hi Brian

Thank you for your response I have missed those previous discussions and will try to find them in the archive

In this specific situation the computer is a laptop so I wonder if there may be a USB sound card of sorts and a way to get NVA to direct it to that peripheral and associated earpiece.

Russ

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021, 11:04 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
The only way I know of to achieve what you're looking for is to have a separate sound card through which NVDA's audio is routed, and this has been discussed a multitude of times on this group for a variety of reasons.

You would then need to use an earpiece that transmits the NVDA audio to one of your ears.   All other audio/video would be going through "the usual channels" on the computer in question.

This setup allows you to isolate NVDA audio such that only you can hear it.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Russell,

When you do look at the archive, search on the phrase "USB sound card" and you will find a lot of information on exactly what you mentioned.  This seems to be "the usual method" for those that need to separate the screen reader audio output stream from other audio.

The earpiece is necessary only because the microphone that picks up your voice would also pick up anything else that you could hear, including that NVDA output, were it routed through a speaker.  I am presuming you're not using a headset microphone, but even then, a lot of those are omnidirectional and will pick up ambient sound.

I've also known people to use a Bluetooth headset that's one that they typically use with a smartphone.  The NVDA audio gets routed to it (and you may need to use Silenzio or the NVDA Bluetooth add-on) and, if the condensor microphone on the computer is suboptimal, use the headset microphone as the computer's input device so you can be heard more clearly.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Russell James

Brian

That Bluetooth headset approach you mentioned sounds very attractive do you still need to have the USB sound card for that solution?

In that configuration the nvda audio is not being routed to the meeting?

Thank you

Russ

Russ,

Yes, you must have a second soundcard, period, as that's the very foundation of creating a separate output audio stream.   Where that stream gets routed to is the next step.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

benmoxey@...

Hi Russ

I use Teams daily at work on Windows 10 laptops without headphones and the screen reader audio cannot be heard by participants, unless I choose to share it. Of course, test this with somebody first to confirm, but this shouldn’t be an issue. Note that I have the Teams meeting audio and screen reader coming through the laptop speakers and am using the laptop’s built-in mic.

Regarding Zoom on Windows 10, as you mentioned, your screen reader audio will be heard if you’re not using headphones. However, interestingly, I ran a Zoom meeting on my Windows 11 machine recently without headphones (with the intention of participants hearing the screen reader) and the speech could not be heard until I shared it. Has anyone else tested this scenario on Windows 11 to confirm? I’m wondering if this is a change in how Windows 11 handles audio.

All the best.

Ben

[...]

Hi Ben

This is great news thanks for your reply!

I'll give it a try :-)

Russ

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021, 2:53 PM <benmoxey@...> wrote:

[...]

Gene

I would think that this lack of screen-reader audio being heard by others in such programs, including Zoom, is standard, unless shared, as has been said.

If a sound card supports a what you hear option, you may be able to send all audio your sound card plays to a meeting without sharing it but then the question becomes, do these meeting programs even allow that setting to be used?  They may automatically force the meeting program to use the microphone as source, no matter what is set as the source in general.

If they don’t, setting the microphone as the source in sound card settings should solve the problem.

In short, the internal onboard soundcard may work just fine though I would advise using headphones with the internal audio to keep the microphone from picking up audio from the computer speakers.

[...]

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías

Hi all.

Some drivers of audio have an option of Noise Reduction. When this option is enabled, using the internal speakers and internal microphone is possible that NVDA and the audio in your pc don’t listen in the meeting. In my laptop, I can enable or disable it in the application HP Audio Center, installed by the driver and Windows automatically.

So, for this reason you can use internal speakers and the integrated microphone, and the participants only listen your voice without NVDA, and is necessary share the sound of the pc for show the audio of your system in these cases.

Regards.

Pranav Lal

Hi Russ and Ben,

My experience is similar to Ben’s. I use teams daily at work and no one can hear my screen reader. I do however find that it is easier to work with headphones on so in meetings where I know I have to take notes, I keep my headphones on. These are ordinary headphones that is, they do not have a sound card and plug into the 3.5MM headphone jack on the laptop. I say easier to work because what happens is that the speaking of NVDA brings down the volume of the screen reader and disrupts my voice if I am speaking.

The separate soundcard approach will also work nicely, you set NVDA to use one soundcard and set teams to use the other.

Pranav