Topics

Windows 10 and Eudora mail

Jeff Samco

I have just switched from a Windows 7 to a Windows 10 computer. In 7 Eudora mail worked fine. In Windows 10 I am having trouble when arrowing up and down any mailboxes such as the In box, etc. Now, I get any particular entry spoken as a portion of one email's sender & subject  and a portion of another email's sender and subject. And, generally neither is associated with the actual email if I were to open it. I have maximized main windows and child windows with no difference. Anyone have a suggestion?

Or, perhaps it is time to move on to another email client. I like Eudora for the simplicity of using keyboard commands for sorting mailboxes in various ways. Thanks for any suggestions about email clients, too.

Jeff

David Griffith

People either seem to love it or hate it but the Windows 10 Mail app in my view works well.

It does not have bells or whistles but is normally a breeze to set up and on my system works very snappily. I really like the Preview feature with NVDA reading out enough of most mails for me to decide whether I need to read fully or just delete.

Press enter to read an email and escape to exit it.

Left and right arrows open and close threads in the inbox. Threads automatically open as you cursor down through the inbox.

There are 2 quirky anomalies which you need to get used to.

Firstly when replying to messages you need to press alt twice quickly to force NVDA to focus into the edit area to type your message.

The second is that as Mail loads new messages it sometimes shifts focus away from the inbox list of messages to the navigation bar.

If this happens you need to shit tab to focus again on the message list.

I have got so used to this it is part of my muscle memory now and is not really an issue though some may find it annoying.

If you are at all familiar with versions of Outlook a lot of keystroke shortcuts are familiar.

For example, Control enter to send a mail, control Y to open up a list of all your email accounts and folders. F9 to force a check for new mail, control R for reply and so on and so on. F7 does a spell check as in Outlook but here this unusually works on a single word at a time so you will need to press F7 repeatedly to navigate to each spelling error in a message.

I use Outlook as well but Windows Mail is definitely my preferred client for rapid handling of large numbers of emails.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 11 August 2019 15:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 and Eudora mail

I have just switched from a Windows 7 to a Windows 10 computer. In 7 Eudora mail worked fine. In Windows 10 I am having trouble when arrowing up and down any mailboxes such as the In box, etc. Now, I get any particular entry spoken as a portion of one email's sender & subject  and a portion of another email's sender and subject. And, generally neither is associated with the actual email if I were to open it. I have maximized main windows and child windows with no difference. Anyone have a suggestion?

Or, perhaps it is time to move on to another email client. I like Eudora for the simplicity of using keyboard commands for sorting mailboxes in various ways. Thanks for any suggestions about email clients, too.

Jeff

Ryan Mann

Can you add contacts other than people who use live or Outlook email address is? A couple times I tried to add a contact and it seemed like you could only add those particular addresses.

On Aug 11, 2019, at 1:10 PM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

People either seem to love it or hate it but the Windows 10 Mail app in my view works well.

It does not have bells or whistles but is normally a breeze to set up and on my system works very snappily. I really like the Preview feature with NVDA reading out enough of most mails for me to decide whether I need to read fully or just delete.

Left and right arrows open and close threads in the inbox. Threads automatically open as you cursor down through the inbox.

Firstly when replying to messages you need to press alt twice quickly to force NVDA to focus into the edit area to type your message.

The second is that as Mail loads new messages it sometimes shifts focus away from the inbox list of messages to the navigation bar.

I have got so used to this it is part of my muscle memory now and is not really an issue though some may find it annoying.

If you are at all familiar with versions of Outlook a lot of keystroke shortcuts are familiar.

For example, Control enter to send a mail, control Y to open up a list of all your email accounts and folders. F9 to force a check for new mail, control R for reply and so on and so on. F7 does a spell check as in Outlook but here this unusually works on a single word at a time so you will need to press F7 repeatedly to navigate to each spelling error in a message.

I use Outlook as well but Windows Mail is definitely my preferred client for rapid handling of large numbers of emails.

David Griffith

Jeff

David Griffith

I have experienced no difficulty  or restrictions in adding contacts at all. What is the problem you are experiencing?

If I have an idea where you are stuck I might be able to help more.

You can actually use the People app as well to add contacts manually that Mail can also access.

You do appear to need to assign contacts to each account though which is a little irksome.

David Griffith

Sent: 11 August 2019 19:25
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 and Eudora mail

Can you add contacts other than people who use live or Outlook email address is? A couple times I tried to add a contact and it seemed like you could only add those particular addresses.

David Griffith

Jeff

Salvador Domenech Miguel

Hi, Jeff and list:

Maybe using the F11 shorcut for use the all screen mode? Perhabs it could work. I don't know, I thaught that Eudora was discontinued for some years. I'm using now Thunderbird. I don't like it a lot, but there are some alternatives like Outlook, Windows 10 Mail client, Firefox or web client. Try and choose the best, really all are more or less similar, has the same way of use, shortcuts etc.

Cheers,

Salva.

Salva Domenech
Comunicación, realización y soporte a usuarios
Equipo de NVDA en español

Lukasz Golonka

Hello,

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 07:28:11 -0700

If you don't mint paying I cannot recommend Becky Internet Mail enough.
It isn't perfectly accessible, but she is very fast and configurable.

--
Regards
Lukasz

Arlene

Oh wow! People still use Eudora?  I’ve never used it. I’ve heard of it. I knew it was useable in the xp days. Not so sure with vista to win ten.  Oh wow.

Sent: August 11, 2019 2:04 PM

Hello,

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 07:28:11 -0700

> Or, perhaps it is time to move on to another email client. I like Eudora for the simplicity of using keyboard commands for sorting mailboxes in various ways. Thanks for any suggestions about email clients, too.

If you don't mint paying I cannot recommend Becky Internet Mail enough.

It isn't perfectly accessible, but she is very fast and configurable.

--

Regards

Lukasz

Arlene

I’m using windows tem mail app with gmail.  I have no problems with it.  What I do miss is this. In the xp days when I used outlook express. I used to be able to embed music in the e-mail.  Someone showed me once howto do it.  I only did it once but forgot how to do it.  I wished I can do it using the win ten mail app.  Oh well. Those days are gone.  I never knew how to do it using outlook ten. When I used win 7. 

Sent: August 11, 2019 10:10 AM

David Griffith

Jeff

David Griffith

I have never embedded music in an email but I do like the simple way of inserting attachments in Windows Mail.

Find whatever music or other file or document you want  to attach and then simply copy and paste it into the body of the windows Mail message and it is neatly attached to the message.

David griffith

Sent: 11 August 2019 22:17

I’m using windows tem mail app with gmail.  I have no problems with it.  What I do miss is this. In the xp days when I used outlook express. I used to be able to embed music in the e-mail.  Someone showed me once howto do it.  I only did it once but forgot how to do it.  I wished I can do it using the win ten mail app.  Oh well. Those days are gone.  I never knew how to do it using outlook ten. When I used win 7. 

David Griffith

Jeff

Gene

You can do this in Windows Live Mail and, as I recall, in Outlook as well.  I don't know what other programs this may work in.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 6:01 PM

I have never embedded music in an email but I do like the simple way of inserting attachments in Windows Mail.

Find whatever music or other file or document you want  to attach and then simply copy and paste it into the body of the windows Mail message and it is neatly attached to the message.

David griffith

David Griffith

Jeff

Arlene

I’ll have to give it  a try. Not on this list. Not everybody uses a Braille display.  Some use NVDA or other screen reader to read messages.  I’ll just try it on a sighted person.

Sent: August 11, 2019 5:06 PM

You can do this in Windows Live Mail and, as I recall, in Outlook as well.  I don't know what other programs this may work in.

Gene

David griffith

David Griffith

Jeff

David Griffith

Ok yes – I could not do this in earlier versions of Outlook I have used but I have just tried it in the latest Outlook 365 and it indeed does now work.

David Griffith

Sent: 12 August 2019 01:06

Gene

David griffith

David Griffith

Jeff

David Griffith

I think it is straightforward.

I just went to the people app.

Tab down until I got down to the add new contact button.

I then entered details for for my name and my d.griffith@... email and then simply tabbed to save.

David Griffith

Sent: 11 August 2019 19:25

David Griffith

Jeff

Salvador Domenech Miguel

Yep. Is a great function. You can also use it on Outlook, adleast on the last versions.

Salva Domenech
Comunicación, realización y soporte a usuarios
Equipo de NVDA en español
El 12/08/2019 a las 1:01, David Griffith escribió:

David griffith

David Griffith

Jeff