Topics

Windows 10 and Eudora mail

Jeff Samco

I have just switched from a Windows 7 to a Windows 10 computer. In 7 Eudora mail worked fine. In Windows 10 I am having trouble when arrowing up and down any mailboxes such as the In box, etc. Now, I get any particular entry spoken as a portion of one email's sender & subject  and a portion of another email's sender and subject. And, generally neither is associated with the actual email if I were to open it. I have maximized main windows and child windows with no difference. Anyone have a suggestion?

Or, perhaps it is time to move on to another email client. I like Eudora for the simplicity of using keyboard commands for sorting mailboxes in various ways. Thanks for any suggestions about email clients, too.

Jeff

David Griffith

People either seem to love it or hate it but the Windows 10 Mail app in my view works well.

It does not have bells or whistles but is normally a breeze to set up and on my system works very snappily. I really like the Preview feature with NVDA reading out enough of most mails for me to decide whether I need to read fully or just delete.

Press enter to read an email and escape to exit it.

Left and right arrows open and close threads in the inbox. Threads automatically open as you cursor down through the inbox.

There are 2 quirky anomalies which you need to get used to.

Firstly when replying to messages you need to press alt twice quickly to force NVDA to focus into the edit area to type your message.

The second is that as Mail loads new messages it sometimes shifts focus away from the inbox list of messages to the navigation bar.

If this happens you need to shit tab to focus again on the message list.

I have got so used to this it is part of my muscle memory now and is not really an issue though some may find it annoying.

If you are at all familiar with versions of Outlook a lot of keystroke shortcuts are familiar.

For example, Control enter to send a mail, control Y to open up a list of all your email accounts and folders. F9 to force a check for new mail, control R for reply and so on and so on. F7 does a spell check as in Outlook but here this unusually works on a single word at a time so you will need to press F7 repeatedly to navigate to each spelling error in a message.

I use Outlook as well but Windows Mail is definitely my preferred client for rapid handling of large numbers of emails.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have just switched from a Windows 7 to a Windows 10 computer. In 7 Eudora mail worked fine. In Windows 10 I am having trouble when arrowing up and down any mailboxes such as the In box, etc. Now, I get any particular entry spoken as a portion of one email's sender & subject  and a portion of another email's sender and subject. And, generally neither is associated with the actual email if I were to open it. I have maximized main windows and child windows with no difference. Anyone have a suggestion?

Or, perhaps it is time to move on to another email client. I like Eudora for the simplicity of using keyboard commands for sorting mailboxes in various ways. Thanks for any suggestions about email clients, too.

Jeff

Ryan Mann

Can you add contacts other than people who use live or Outlook email address is? A couple times I tried to add a contact and it seemed like you could only add those particular addresses.