Topics

Windows 10 App Essentials 19.11.3 #addonrelease

Hi all,

In a few moments Windows 10 App Essentials 19.11.3 will be made available. This release is a localization and documentation update.

A few important notes:

  • Windows 10 20H1 is now formally known as Version 2004. Although Windows 10 App Essentials does support Version 2004, formal support won’t begin until early next year.
  • A version scheduled for early next year will retire support for EdgeHTML-based Microsoft Edge from this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gary Metzler

Hi Joseph,

I’m sorry to say I am getting the error not compatible with this version of windows.  I am using windows 10 1909 and the latest nvda.

In a few moments Windows 10 App Essentials 19.11.3 will be made available. This release is a localization and documentation update.

A few important notes:

  • Windows 10 20H1 is now formally known as Version 2004. Although Windows 10 App Essentials does support Version 2004, formal support won’t begin until early next year.
  • A version scheduled for early next year will retire support for EdgeHTML-based Microsoft Edge from this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

I think I know why – I’ll go ahead and release another version in a few moments. Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Joseph

I’m sorry to say I am getting the error not compatible with this version of windows.  I am using windows 10 1909 and the latest nvda.

In a few moments Windows 10 App Essentials 19.11.3 will be made available. This release is a localization and documentation update.

A few important notes:

  • Windows 10 20H1 is now formally known as Version 2004. Although Windows 10 App Essentials does support Version 2004, formal support won’t begin until early next year.
  • A version scheduled for early next year will retire support for EdgeHTML-based Microsoft Edge from this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Actually, it is compatible with 1809 and later. I’m beginning to wonder if this affects anyone using Add-on Updater, and if this is the case, it isn’t Windows 10 App Essentials at all.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

This happens when I use the updater.

[...]

I got the add on manually but, when I went to install it it said I was using an older version of windows.

[...]

Hmmm, I can’t reproduce this on my system running 1909, NVDA 2019.2.1, and Add-on Updater latest stable release. Can you try the following for me:

  1. Uninstall Add-on Updater completely.
  2. Restart NVDA.
  3. Go to NVDA user configuration folder (search for “explore NVDA” from Start search box and the first result should be “Explore NVDA user configuration directory”.
  4. Delete a file named “nvda3208.pickle” (do not send it to Recycle Bin, press Shift=Delete to permanently remove it).
  5. Restart NVDA.
  6. Reinstall Add-on Updater stable version (19.11).
  7. Try updating Windows 10 App Essentials.

If this does not resolve the problem, chances are that it is something unique to your system, which may or may not get fixed in a future version of Add-on Updater.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

That’s strange. Let’s try:

  1. Open Python Console (Control+NVDA+Z).
  2. Type the following as exactly as I tell you:

import winVersion

winVersion.isWin10(version=1809)

Press Enter after each line. If it says “True”, then there should not be a reason for Windows 10 App Essentials to complain that you’ve got an older Windows release.

[...]

I did what you suggested and I get a false response.

[...]

Hmmm, you get “False” when you’ve got 1909… Let’s try this method:

  2. Type the following as exactly as shown (press Enter after each line and listen carefully to what NVDA says):

import winVersion

winVersion.winVersion

winVersion.isWin10()

winVersion.isWin10(version=1607)

winVersion.isWin10(version=1709)

winVersion.isWin10(version=1803)

winVersion.isWin10(version=1809)

NVDA will first announce Windows version information (major, minor, build, platform, service pack), then for each Windows 10 release we have, “True” or “False”.

[...]

After I enter each line I get the error win version not defined.

I hope this helps.

[...]

Jacob Kruger

Gary, the python console is also case sensitive, FWIW - winVersion is a single word, with a capital letter V?

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
On 2019-11-28 10:23 AM, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi Joseph,

[...]

Hi Jacob,

What I did was copy and paste the lines just as Joseph typed them.

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791

On 2019-11-28 10:23 AM, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi Joseph,

[...]

You may need to manually type these lines into Python Console.

Another approach: if you have Resource Monitor (hopefully latest stable release), press NVDA+Shift+Number row 6 and see what NVDA says about Windows version.

Cheers,

Joseph

On 2019-11-28 10:23 AM, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi Joseph,

[...]

Roger Stewart

I just got the latest Win 10 app Essentials add on and I'm using Win 10 1909 and NVDA 19.2.1 and I get no such message.
Roger

On 11/27/2019 5:06 PM, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi Joseph,

I’m sorry to say I am getting the error not compatible with this version of windows.  I am using windows 10 1909 and the latest nvda.

In a few moments Windows 10 App Essentials 19.11.3 will be made available. This release is a localization and documentation update.

A few important notes:

  • Windows 10 20H1 is now formally known as Version 2004. Although Windows 10 App Essentials does support Version 2004, formal support won’t begin until early next year.
  • A version scheduled for early next year will retire support for EdgeHTML-based Microsoft Edge from this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

brian

    This is twice now that this has happend when windows app esentials became available it would not down load it said error.  I have not had this problem with any other add ons they down loadjust fine.  In both cases the next day I was able to down load the update for windows 10 app esentials.  Is this going to happen every time that we have an update for windows 10 app esentials?

bBrian Sackrider

On 11/27/2019 6:09 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

I want to know what the exact error you get is – if it is download error, then you may wish to try downloading again. If it is related to unsupported Windows release, you need to make sure you’re using a supported Windows 10 release (Version 1809/build 17763 or later).

Cheers,

Joseph

I’m sorry to say I am getting the error not compatible with this version of windows.  I am using windows 10 1909 and the latest nvda.

In a few moments Windows 10 App Essentials 19.11.3 will be made available. This release is a localization and documentation update.

A few important notes:

  • Windows 10 20H1 is now formally known as Version 2004. Although Windows 10 App Essentials does support Version 2004, formal support won’t begin until early next year.
  • A version scheduled for early next year will retire support for EdgeHTML-based Microsoft Edge from this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gary Metzler

Hi Joseph,

When I press nvda shift plus 6 it says windows 8 64 bit.  I hope this helps.

On 2019-11-28 10:23 AM, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi Joseph,

[...]

Ah, this explains it – somehow, NVDA was told to run in compatibility mode. Without intervention, Python 2.7 will assume it is running on Windows 8 when in fact you might be using Windows 10. Can you try the following for me:

  1. Restart with all add-ons disabled.
  2. Listen carefully to which synthesizer is now in use; if it is Espeak, then you will need to reinstall NVDA from scratch; if it is Windows OneCore, chances are that there might be an add-on other than Windows 10 App Essentials and Add-on Updater that messed up NVDA’s manifest information.

If OneCore comes up, restart NVDA with partial add-on functionality. To do so:

  1. Open Add-ons Manager (NVDA menu/Tools/Manage add-ons).
  2. Disable one add-on at a time and restart NVDA after disabling each one. Do not disable Resource Monitor as we need it to check Windows version.
  3. After disabling an add-on and restarting NVDA, press NVDA+Shift+Number row 6 to verify that you are using Windows 10.
  4. As soon as you find that NVDA says Windows 10, thee the just disabled add-on might be to blame.
  5. To verify step 4, enable all add-ons except the offending one and see if NVDA now reports itself as running on Windows 10.

If this does not help, reinstall NVDA from scratch.

On 2019-11-28 10:23 AM, Gary Metzler wrote:

Hi Joseph,

[...]

I did as you suggested but, I still get version 8.  What can I do to preserve all my settings and addons after I wipe out nvda?  Thanks for all your help.

Hi Joseph,