Topics

locked Windows 10 App Essentials 20.07 released, requires Windows 10 November 2019 Update or later #addonrelease

Hi all,

Windows 10 App Essentials 20.07 is now available, mostly bringing support for Version 2004 Cortana for non-English speakers.

IMPORTANT: version 20.07 requires Windows 10 Version 1909 (November 2019 Update/build 18363). If you need to use this add-on on Version 1903 or earlier, version 20.06.2 can be found at:

https://github.com/josephsl/wintenApps/releases/download/20.06/wintenApps-20.06.2.nvda-addon

Cheers,

Joseph

Peter Beasley

What exactly does Windows 10 App Essentials do?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 06:51 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:
What exactly does Windows 10 App Essentials do?

A very thorough description for this add-on is provided on its page, Windows 10 App Essentials, at the NVDA Community Add-ons website

.

thanks so much brian.
i really needed this link.also, is nvda 2017.3 really works well with
windows ten?

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 06:51 AM, Peter Beasley wrote:

What exactly does Windows 10 App Essentials do?
A very thorough description for this add-on is provided on its page, Windows
10 App Essentials (
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/wintenApps.en.html ) , at the NVDA
Community Add-ons website ( https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html )

.

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment
Took Hold in the United States (
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html
) , September 23, 2019

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Betsy Grenevitch

For some reason I am not able to get the Windows 10 App Essentials update to download. It seems to have been stuck on it for well over an hour. How can I find out what is going on? I also do not know how to tell what version of Windows I have. I may have these steps written down but my Braille notetaker has crashed and is gone for repairs.

) , September 23, 2019

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Rosemarie Chavarria

To tell what version of windows you have, hit the windows logo key and type "winver" in the search box without the quotes and hit enter. You should hear the version of windows you're on.

) , September 23, 2019

Hi,
To answer the second question, yes 2017.3 works with Windows 10. Note that as far as the add-on is concerned, WinTenApps does not support 2017.3
To answer Peter's question (and to expand on Brian's answer): Windows 10 App Essentials is an add-on that improves accessibility and usability of controls found in Windows 10, along with improving usability of some built-in apps such as Calculator, Microsoft Store and others. The add-on sometimes serves as an extended beta testing facility where features under consideration for inclusion in NVDA are tested in public e.g. support for announcing hardware keyboard input suggestions was first made available on the add-on, then included in NVDA in late 2018.
Cheers,
Joseph

) , September 23, 2019

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

hi joseph.
thanks so much for your support as always.
does 2017.3 reads windows ten settings, especially combo boxes and
radio buttons?
i asked because from the link which brian sent here, i studied all
changes for all versions of your addon
and realized that
you included support for various windows ten settings in different
versions of windows ten app essential.
and, i realized that if i can find a system with windows ten, the last
version of your addon that i can use is addon version 17.09.

) , September 23, 2019

--

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 12:01 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
For some reason I am not able to get the Windows 10 App Essentials update to download. It seems to have been stuck on it for well over an hour. How can I find out what is going on?
Betsy,

          You probably can't.   I have hit occasions where this has occurred, whether I'm trying to download directly from the community add-ons page or add-on updater is trying to fetch an update.

           My normal approach is to cancel and just try again later, usually several hours later or the next day.

Add-on 17.09 isn't optimized for newer Windows 10 releases such as April 2018 Update. Although that add-on release will read various things on Windows 10, it won't recognize certain things added in newer Windows 10 releases.

) , September 23, 2019

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 11:37 AM, zahra wrote:
thanks so much brian.
You're welcome.

As a general practice, though, the first thing anyone who wants to know about a given official add-on does would be to go to the NVDA Community Add-ons website and consult the page for the add-on they want to know about.  Most (though not all) are given very reasonable overview documentation there.

In addition, it is my opinion that every NVDA user should, as a matter of practice, install the Add-ons documentation add-on.  It makes access to the detailed documentation that now comes packaged with the majority of NVDA Add-ons very quick and easy to access and you'll often find the answers to your questions about add-ons much more quickly by taking a quick look at their documentation than by asking here and waiting for someone to respond (and I hasten to add that those questions are entirely appropriate, and welcome, but if speed is of the essence, you have options much more closely at hand and under your own control).

Another way to view add-on documentation (provided that the add-on author did provide it in the right format and in the right location) is Add-ons Manager/Add-on help button.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Let's clean up that huge run-on sentence from my last message, that I failed to break up before hitting send.  What follows should be both far more readable and make more sense.

It is my opinion that every NVDA user should, as a matter of practice, install the Add-ons documentation add-on.  It makes access to the detailed documentation that now comes packaged with the majority of NVDA Add-ons very quick and easy.  You'll often find the answers to your questions about add-ons very promptly by taking a look at their documentation rather than by asking here and waiting for someone to respond. I hasten to add that those questions are entirely appropriate, and welcome, but if speed is of the essence, you have an option much more closely at hand and under your own control.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 12:57 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Another way to view add-on documentation (provided that the add-on author did provide it in the right format and in the right location) is Add-ons Manager/Add-on help button.
It's always a good thing when more than one proverbial road leads to Rome!

hi joseph.
what is your recommendation for me that i wish to use 2017.3?
do you recommend me that if i can access one system with windows ten,
(version 1903), i only install 2017.3 version of nvda?
or install it with your addon version 17.09?
do newer versions of your addon beyond 17.09 support nvda 2017.3?

) , September 23, 2019

--
[...]

Newer add-on releases do not support NVDA 2017.3. This has been the policy for years: unless needed, Windows 10 App Essentials supports current and immediate past stable versions of NVDA. As of this post, Windows 10 App Essentials 20.07 (the latest stable) supports NVDA 2019.3, 2020.1, 2020.2 beta and alpha snapshots. A version scheduled for fall will drop support for 2019.3 following the above policy, as NVDA 2020.2 would have been released to everyone then. The above policy also aligns with Windows as a Service concept to some extent - a given Windows 10 release has finite support lifetime.

) , September 23, 2019

--
[...]

Zahra,

            You have soon got to start making notes for yourself, on all of this, as it has been discussed repeatedly.  You have apparently finally dumped Windows XP, but are trying to cling to older versions of NVDA, which will not work over the long term as Windows 10 continues to mature.  I know you have strong preferences for a specific synthesizer, but eventually you are going to have to move along unless it does, which is unlikely.

            If you want to use Windows 10 App Essentials on earlier than Windows 10, Version 1909, Joseph has already stated, in the very message that started this topic, that you must stick with Windows 10 App Essentials version 20.06.2 and given the direct link to where that can be downloaded.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 01:42 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
The above policy also aligns with Windows as a Service concept to some extent - a given Windows 10 release has finite support lifetime.
And it also aligns with general practice among all commercial, and the vast majority of open-source, software developers that they will not make any attempt at backward compatibility with an unsupported version of an operating system, Windows or otherwise.  There are times when backward compatibility is "accidentally maintained" but it should never be expected, ever, by intent for unsupported versions of any operating system.

In the age of most things going in the "as a service" direction, it is truly futile to make any attempt to stay with one thing, no matter how much one might like it, when it has been abandoned by its own maker.

yes,
for my desired voice preferences,
the last version that i can use is 2017.3
if i find a system with windows ten 1903, can i use 2017.3 without any
major issue?
also, does nvda 2017.3 support firefox quantum efficiently?

) , September 23, 2019

--

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 01:50 PM, zahra wrote:
if i find a system with windows ten 1903, can i use 2017.3 without any
major issue?
You can't stay on Windows 10, Version 1903, either.  It is the next to go out of support, later this year.

You really, really need to accept that learning to "go with the flow" is absolutely, positively necessary.  It's really not an option, nor is staying with any given version of Windows 10.