Windows 10 App Essentials 21.04 released #addonrelease

Hi all,

Windows 10 App Essentials 21.04 is now available.

In addition to source code refinements, this update is dedicated to Calculator app. Specifically:

  • NvDA will announce results window when Delete (including Numpad Delete) is pressed to clear results.
  • NVDA will braille expressions and results on a braille display.

IMPORTANT NOTICE on Windows 10 feature update compatibility: the next version of Windows 10 App Essentials add-on will be the last version to support Windows 10 Version 2004 (May 2020 Update/build 19041). Also, although not set in stone yet, the next version may also require NVDA 2020.4 or later.

Cheers,

Joseph

Louise Pfau

Hi Joseph.  When version 21.03 was released, we were instructed to remove it from the list of add-ons being checked by “Add-on updater” because it was a manual update.  Is this true of 21.04?

Thanks,

Louise

Hi,

Nope – 21.04 will be offered automatically if you do ask Add-on Updater to check for updates to this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi Joseph.  When version 21.03 was released, we were instructed to remove it from the list of add-ons being checked by “Add-on updater” because it was a manual update.  Is this true of 21.04?

Thanks,

Louise

Jacob Kruger

Joseph, I have 21.03 installed, and, 21.04 is not coming up as an update?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 03:31 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
I have 21.03 installed, and, 21.04 is not coming up as an update?
-
When is the last time you exited NVDA and started it again?  Unless I'm imagining things, I only get these notifications from Add-On Updater when I am starting up NVDA, and even then only once per day if (or some day-ish length period) if I decide to skip them.  If I exit and restart NVDA for around 24 hours after a "no thanks" response I'm not asked again.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Hi,

Also, Add-on Updater must be told to check for updates for add-ons, and I guess that could be a factor here.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 03:31 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:

I have 21.03 installed, and, 21.04 is not coming up as an update?

-
When is the last time you exited NVDA and started it again?  Unless I'm imagining things, I only get these notifications from Add-On Updater when I am starting up NVDA, and even then only once per day if (or some day-ish length period) if I decide to skip them.  If I exit and restart NVDA for around 24 hours after a "no thanks" response I'm not asked again.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Jacob Kruger

Brian, a couple of times since initial notification e-mail, and, also not if I specifically ask add-on updater to check for add-on updates.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-04-23 09:46 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 03:31 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
I have 21.03 installed, and, 21.04 is not coming up as an update?
-
When is the last time you exited NVDA and started it again?  Unless I'm imagining things, I only get these notifications from Add-On Updater when I am starting up NVDA, and even then only once per day if (or some day-ish length period) if I decide to skip them.  If I exit and restart NVDA for around 24 hours after a "no thanks" response I'm not asked again.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Jacob Kruger

Ok, but, think a gremlin was listening over my shoulder - just came up now after another exit/restart...LOL!

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 03:54 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
Brian, a couple of times since initial notification e-mail, and, also not if I specifically ask add-on updater to check for add-on updates.
-
Well, anything can get corrupted somehow.  Were I you I would first uninstall and reinstall add-on updater itself, then see what happens.  Or just manually download the add-on that it's being recalcitrant about updating and apply it manually.

"These things happen (and we don't know why)," is something I have had to tell clients repeatedly over the years.  And an uninstall/reinstall as a fix attempt is not uncommon.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Pauline Smith

I'm sure this query has been answered more than once.  My apologies for asking again.  Where do you get this and other add-ons?

Pauline

On 4/23/2021 12:51 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

Windows 10 App Essentials 21.04 is now available.

In addition to source code refinements, this update is dedicated to Calculator app. Specifically:

  • NvDA will announce results window when Delete (including Numpad Delete) is pressed to clear results.
  • NVDA will braille expressions and results on a braille display.

IMPORTANT NOTICE on Windows 10 feature update compatibility: the next version of Windows 10 App Essentials add-on will be the last version to support Windows 10 Version 2004 (May 2020 Update/build 19041). Also, although not set in stone yet, the next version may also require NVDA 2020.4 or later.

Cheers,

Joseph

Chris Smart

On 2021-04-27 3:06 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
[...]

Luke Davis

Pauline Smith wrote:

I'm sure this query has been answered more than once.  My apologies for asking again.  Where do you get this and other add-ons?
As explained in section 13.5 of the NVDA user manual:

From within the add-ons manager (NVDA+n, t, a), you can press the "get add-ons" button, which will take you to the official add-ons website.
There you can download stable or development add-ons, and see what is available.

That is the same site for which you were given a link earlier.

Luke

Pauline Smith

Thank you very much for your response.  Also, thank you for the reminder that the info can be found in the NVDA User manual and under which section.

Pauline

On 4/27/2021 5:50 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Pauline Smith wrote:

I'm sure this query has been answered more than once.  My apologies for asking again.  Where do you get this and other add-ons?
As explained in section 13.5 of the NVDA user manual:

From within the add-ons manager (NVDA+n, t, a), you can press the "get add-ons"
button, which will take you to the official add-ons website.