Topics

Windows 10 mail app reading inconsistently in email composition window

Andy B.

Hi,

When I am writing an email in the Windows 10 mail app, NVDA 2019.2RC and earlier inconsistently reads the body of my email. For example, any attempt at using the arrow keys to review what I have written results in NVDA randomly reading text that isn’t present on the current line. If I go to the top of this email as I type it, then press down arrow, NVDA will sometimes read “hi,” multiple times as I go through the lines of text. What is going on, and how do I fix this problem?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

It’s a workaround, but you can write your message in Notepad, review it, then paste it into the message.  You haven't said anything about spellchecking not working properly so you may want to use this method if you don't get an actual solution.

I sometimes do this on web pages where the editor provided by the page doesn't work properly.
Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, August 09, 2019 8:19 AM
Subject: [nvda] Windows 10 mail app reading inconsistently in email composition window

Hi,

When I am writing an email in the Windows 10 mail app, NVDA 2019.2RC and earlier inconsistently reads the body of my email. For example, any attempt at using the arrow keys to review what I have written results in NVDA randomly reading text that isn’t present on the current line. If I go to the top of this email as I type it, then press down arrow, NVDA will sometimes read “hi,” multiple times as I go through the lines of text. What is going on, and how do I fix this problem?

David Moore

hello all! I am so glad that you brought that up about how the Windows mail app is acting. I have had exactly the same problem in the Windows 10 mail app, what I have to do, is use the review cursor reading commands to read the mail message with the review cursor, find where I want to edit, and then press the key command to move the focus to where the review cursor is, and then I can cracked my mistakes. The the review cursor is the only way I can read an email. You are cracked, if I simply use the up and down arrow keys the focus will not say the correct text at all for what is on each line and the message that you are typing in the mail app. Nvda has not worked well in the Windows 10 mail app for a long time when it comes to typing, reading, and doing just about anything with messages. I have to use many round about ways to even use the Windows 10 mail app oh, like I said, I have to read messages with the review cursor. David Moore

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

I do not know why you are having this problem. I have been using the windows 10 mail app for the last three years. When I open an email I just use the down arrow to read.  What I would prefer is that the messages AKA list of emails were next to all accounts. I have several email accounts and when I am done with one I need to tab five times to change accounts.

If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, August 9, 2019 5:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 mail app reading inconsistently in email composition window

hello all! I am so glad that you brought that up about how the Windows mail app is acting. I have had exactly the same problem in the Windows 10 mail app, what I have to do, is use the review cursor reading commands to read the mail message with the review cursor, find where I want to edit, and then press the key command to move the focus to where the review cursor is, and then I can cracked my mistakes. The the review cursor is the only way I can read an email. You are cracked, if I simply use the up and down arrow keys the focus will not say the correct text at all for what is on each line and the message that you are typing in the mail app. Nvda has not worked well in the Windows 10 mail app for a long time when it comes to typing, reading, and doing just about anything with messages. I have to use many round about ways to even use the Windows 10 mail app oh, like I said, I have to read messages with the review cursor. David Moore

David Griffith

I am replying to your message using the latest build of NVDA and windows Mail  on Windows 10 19.03 with full normal reading and typing feedback.

There is a slight anomaly which has existed for some time in that when I first reply to a message and want to type in the edit field I need to press the alt key quickly twice to get proper typing focus.

After that NVDA behave entirely normally and as you would expect.

I am not sure then what is causing the difficulties you are experiencing but it does not appear to be generalised.

Have you considered making a fresh install of NVDA?

David Griffith

Sent: 10 August 2019 00:03
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 mail app reading inconsistently in emailcomposition window

David Griffith

I have  my email accounts linked into a single inbox but If I want to review mail by accounts I simply press control Y to bring up the folder list and then cursor down to the account I want to review.

David Griffith

Sent: 10 August 2019 08:05
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 mail app reading inconsistently in emailcomposition window

I do not know why you are having this problem. I have been using the windows 10 mail app for the last three years. When I open an email I just use the down arrow to read.  What I would prefer is that the messages AKA list of emails were next to all accounts. I have several email accounts and when I am done with one I need to tab five times to change accounts.

If all I have left in this world is God, I have everything!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10 mail app reading inconsistently in email composition window

Similar to you when I have to do a reply I sometimes have to shift tab and tab back then everything is fine. I will try your solution of tapping alt twice.

Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2019 11:04 AM

I am replying to your message using the latest build of NVDA and windows Mail  on Windows 10 19.03 with full normal reading and typing feedback.

There is a slight anomaly which has existed for some time in that when I first reply to a message and want to type in the edit field I need to press the alt key quickly twice to get proper typing focus.

I am not sure then what is causing the difficulties you are experiencing but it does not appear to be generalised.

David Griffith

How does this affect the various folders for each account?

Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2019 11:54 AM

I have  my email accounts linked into a single inbox but If I want to review mail by accounts I simply press control Y to bring up the folder list and then cursor down to the account I want to review.

David Griffith

David Moore

Hi David!

I will press alt twice as you suggested, and hopefully, that will cause the mail app to work better.

David Moore

Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 11:27 PM

Similar to you when I have to do a reply I sometimes have to shift tab and tab back then everything is fine. I will try your solution of tapping alt twice.

David Griffith

It worked for me.

Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 11:17 PM

Hi David!

I will press alt twice as you suggested, and hopefully, that will cause the mail app to work better.

David Moore

Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 11:27 PM

David Griffith

David Griffith

We may be at cross purposes.

Control Y whilst focussed on the Inbox , just as in Outlook, will allow quick navigation to all your email folders for all the accounts you have.

Simply use the cursor keys to move up and down the folder list and press enter on the folder you want to navigate to.

David Griffith

Sent: 12 August 2019 04:29

David Griffith

Luke

Hi! I know I’m late to the party but just seeing this thread right now. Yes I have the same problem when in the message body using the arrow keys it reads the text very inconsistent. I’m 95% sure it has always done this using the Mail app, but I have only been using the Mail app for about four months. As of right now I’m using NVDA  19.2 but earlier it would have been 19.1 and 19.1.1. I notice it does work with windows narrator though. 

On Aug 12, 2019, at 4:51 AM, David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

We may be at cross purposes.

Control Y whilst focussed on the Inbox , just as in Outlook, will allow quick navigation to all your email folders for all the accounts you have.

Simply use the cursor keys to move up and down the folder list and press enter on the folder you want to navigate to.

David Griffith

Sent: 12 August 2019 04:29

David Griffith