Topics

Windows 10, NVDA, Narrator and Braille

Pele West

Hi Everyone

I am using Windows 10 2004, NVDA 2020.3 and Narrator.

A few days ago I tried connecting my Braille Sense U2 QWERTY to the
laptop to use as a braille display in Narrator. I had to install BRLTTY
then it
worked straight away. I did not have to select a device.

Since then I have not been able to use the Braille Sense with NVDA. When
I select HIMS it just says "Error, Cannot Load Braille Display". I also
tried loading all the other displays, in case one worked.

As I had not done this for some time, I don't know if the problem is
with Windows 10 2004, NVDA 2020.3 or narrator and BRLTTy.

I tried uninstalling Accessibility Support from Settings, using
instructions I found on the web, but BRLTTY is still there when I try to
select a braille display in NVDA.

I have looked at the Narrator manual, but the instructions are the same
to uninstall BRLTTY.

As an experiment I tried connecting my Brailliant B64 display to the
laptop. It would not connect. This display is usually connected to my
Windows 7 machine, which works perfectly with NVDA. The Braille Sense
also works with the Windows 7 machine.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get NVDA connected
again? If possible I would still like to be able to connect Narrator,
but this is not essential.

Thanks

Pele West

Marten Post Uiterweer

Hi Pele,

Narrator uses his own display driver and replaces the one of other
screenreaders.

Press ctrl-win-n, this will open narrator settings. You can use NVDA
here.

Press shift-tab a 17 times.
You will land on something like: Braille display driver.
In my case, it is set to Focus 3 display driver.
Change the driver here.

You can also change it in device manager, but this is more simple.

Regards, Marten

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 08:59:48 +0100 "Pele West" <pele.westlists@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Marten

Thanks for writing.

I am afraid I don't see the option to change the display driver.

I took the following action:

1. Windows N for Narrator Settings

2. Shift Tab 17 times. This took me beyond the braille settings.

3. Tab twice to "Use BRLTTy"

I don't see how to change this.

What am I missing?

Pele