Topics

windows 10 skype 7 is inaccessible with nvda.

Austin Pinto <austinpinto.xaviers@...>

hi all.
i am trying to signin to skype on windows 10.
this is the new version of skype which we can get from windows store.
i can signin but when it asks select a profile picture or test audio and video.
nvda gets stuck on a text called skype cant be used for emergency.
i have the latest windows 10, latest nvda and latest addons.
what to do?

David Csercsics

Try the Skype desktop app? I don't know what the difference between that and the Windows store app is, but I have had joy with the desktop app.

Chris Mullins

Hi

I had the Skype desktop app installed but it has been replaced by something called “Meet Now”.  I checked online and it seems like MS have put this in place to make it easy for users to have online meetings during the pandemic.  You do not need a Skype a/c or sign up to anything to use it apparently but I need to find how it works before I can comment further.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 20 November 2020 14:58
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] windows 10 skype 7 is inaccessible with nvda.

T

Lino Morales

You need to use Skype V 8.66 which is the electron version at:

www.skype.com

On 11/20/2020 9:52 AM, Austin Pinto wrote:
hi all.
what to do?

I was able to hide this extra spam icon in system tray.

On 21/11/2020 4:21 am, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi

I had the Skype desktop app installed but it has been replaced by something called “Meet Now”.  I checked online and it seems like MS have put this in place to make it easy for users to have online meetings during the pandemic.  You do not need a Skype a/c or sign up to anything to use it apparently but I need to find how it works before I can comment further.

Cheers

Chris

T

Chris Mullins

Hi

Yes, my Skype app in system tray changed to “Neet Nowafter I updated to 20H2, ”, I had to use Skype from the main search to use standard functionality.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 20 November 2020 21:29

I was able to hide this extra spam icon in system tray.

On 21/11/2020 4:21 am, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi

Cheers

Chris

T

valiant8086

You might be able to fix it by pressing alt Twice.

On November 20, 2020 9:52:37 AM "Austin Pinto" <austinpinto.xaviers@...> wrote:

hi all.
what to do?

Chris Mullins

Hi

When I open Skype, I always press F11 for full screen mode, then I can move around it OK.  I checked the Help, About menu item and it displayed the following:

Skype version 8.66.0.77

Application version 15.66.77.0

© 2020 Skype & Microsoft

You're on the latest version of Skype.

I am using Windows 10 20H2 with latest NVDA and use Skype on a regular basis without too much difficulty.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 08 December 2020 13:57
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io; win10; Austin Pinto

You might be able to fix it by pressing alt Twice.

On November 20, 2020 9:52:37 AM "Austin Pinto" <austinpinto.xaviers@...> wrote:

hi all.
what to do?

The issue here is that the Skype Desktop App (formerly known as the installed version) and the Store Skype App or "shipped with Windows 10" equivalent are not equally accessible.  It's long been recommended that screen reader users use the Skype Desktop App.

Download Skype for Desktop | Available for Windows, Mac ...

Current version of desktop app:  Skype 8.67.0.87

I will ask that if folks want to do a deep dive into how to use Skype, regardless of whether the Desktop App or Store App, that this conversation take place on the Chat Subgroup.
---------

NVDA Chat Subgroup Addresses

To join:  chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io

To post:  chat@nvda.groups.io

To unsubscribe:  chat+unsubscribe@nvda.groups.io

To receive a message containing the group description, and a list of these commands:  chat+help@nvda.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web):  chat+nomail@nvda.groups.io

This can also be used to put a vacation stop on group messages, then use one of the addresses below to resume delivery in the format of your choice.

To receive each group messages individually:  chat+single@nvda.groups.io

This is the default delivery unless you send a message to one of the addresses that follows.

To receive group messages in an HTML formatted digest:  chat+fulldigest@nvda.groups.io

To receive group messages in a plain text digest:  chat+digest@nvda.groups.io

To receive a daily summary instead of individual messages:  chat+summary@nvda.groups.io

To receive only special messages:  chat+special@nvda.groups.io

To contact the group owner(s):  chat+owner@nvda.groups.io

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind.

~ Thomas Reed Powell

tim

Not having any problems with the installed version or with meet.
The more you know your screen reader the better your accessibility will be.

On 12/8/2020 12:39 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
The issue here is that the Skype Desktop App (formerly known as the installed version) and the Store Skype App or "shipped with Windows 10" equivalent are not equally accessible.  It's long been recommended that screen reader users use the Skype Desktop App.
Download Skype for Desktop | Available for Windows, Mac ...
<https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/download-skype-for-desktop/>
Current version of desktop app:  Skype 8.67.0.87
I will ask that if folks want to do a deep dive into how to use
Skype, regardless of whether the Desktop App or Store App, that this
conversation take place on the Chat Subgroup.
---------
NVDA Chat Subgroup Addresses
To join: chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io>
To post: chat@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat@nvda.groups.io>
To unsubscribe: chat+unsubscribe@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+unsubscribe@nvda.groups.io>
To receive a message containing the group description, and a list of these commands: chat+help@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+help@nvda.groups.io>
To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web): chat+nomail@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+nomail@nvda.groups.io>
This can also be used to put a vacation stop on group messages, then use one of the addresses below to resume delivery in the format of your choice.
To receive each group messages individually: chat+single@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+single@nvda.groups.io>
This is the default delivery unless you send a message to one of the addresses that follows.
To receive group messages in an HTML formatted digest: chat+fulldigest@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+fulldigest@nvda.groups.io>
To receive group messages in a plain text digest: chat+digest@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+digest@nvda.groups.io>
To receive a daily summary instead of individual messages: chat+summary@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+summary@nvda.groups.io>
To receive only special messages: chat+special@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+special@nvda.groups.io>
To contact the group owner(s): chat+owner@nvda.groups.io <mailto:chat+owner@nvda.groups.io>
--
Brian -Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042
*/If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind./*
        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 03:05 PM, tim wrote:
The more you know your screen reader the better your accessibility will be.
-
No one could reasonably argue that.  And practice, practice, practice does make as close to perfect (which sometimes isn't all  that close) as you're going to get.

I do see that you state you're using the installed version, and the main reason for my message you quoted was to get the word out that, even if you know your screen reader well, accessibility is generally considered to be better in the installed version than the universal app.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind.

~ Thomas Reed Powell