Topics

Windows 10 Upgrade and Windows 10 App Essentials

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I keep getting this 'this version of Windows 10 app essentials is incompatible with this version of Windows message every time I restart my system and try installing the latest version of Windows 10 app essentials. I know Joseph has indicated that this would happen if you weren't running Windows 2004 verwsion.  I tried to manually install the Windows 2004 version from the Microsoft support page and half way through the installation, I got the following message.
This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10.
Your PC settings aren't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. Microsoft is working to support your settings soon. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically when these settings are supported.

a cursory search on Google for this information shows that only about half the systems are now running version 2004. I am wondering why Joseph used this upgraded version of Windows 10 app essentials under these circumstances.  I wonder what they  mean about the settings on your PC are not supported.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

hello.
doue to several bugs and issues in windows ten 2004,
microsoft did not upgrade all computers to this versions until now.
when this operating system becomes stable, people can easily use it
and update their computers.

On 7/5/20, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...> wrote:
[...]

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 10:04 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
I am wondering why Joseph used this upgraded version of Windows 10 app essentials under these circumstances.
I'd say that like any developer in the era of Windows as a Service he's doing what makes the most sense - keeping up with/ahead of what's coming down the pike right now.

If the choice is between not updating the software, and having those who so happen to have gotten the Version 2004 Feature Update of Windows 10 with problems, or updating the software and having those of us not on that Version yet get a message out of Add-On updater that the latest version of an Add-On won't work for us, the latter is the only reasonable choice.  We'll all eventually be on Version 2004, and being proactive about having all work with that release, which is the latest one, is the only way to go.

This is the nature of transition periods.  This isn't the first time this situation has been encountered, nor will it be the last.

Actually, Windows 10 App Essentials now require November 2019 Update (Version 1909) or later, not 2004 yet. The add-on won't require Version 2004 until next year.
Cheers,
Joseph

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 12:49 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Actually, Windows 10 App Essentials now require November 2019 Update (Version 1909) or later, not 2004 yet.
-
Which brings us back to why it's so important to:

1. Identify the version and build of Windows 10 under which you're running everything you're running, including NVDA.

2. Keep your version of Windows 10 up to date.  At this point in time, that would mean Version 1909 at the oldest.

When you hear that the next Feature Update is about to be released, regardless of what that happens to be numbered, if your machine is not already on the version immediately previous to that one, then take the steps necessary to manually update, as by that point all machines should have been automatically updated to it, and if they have not been, that means manual intervention is needed.

This can be done either by going to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page and using the Update Assistant (Update this PC button) or, preferably in my opinion, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Right now anyone who's not already on 1909, and whose machine is giving the "not quite ready for Version 2004" message is in a bit of a bind, as the Media Creation Tool is now creating media for Version 2004, and if you don't already have the ISO file for 1909 you're not getting it (or getting it easily, anyway) from Microsoft.  If anyone happens to know if there is a page, at Microsoft (not elsewhere), that hosts the ISO files for those versions of Windows 10 still under support, but not the latest, please share, as I do not know of it.

Arlene

Yes that is confirmed. I read something about it last night. I never took the update yet.  There is an update to edge.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

I have my system set to automatically receive windows updates. I have no delays or any other qualifications for this.  However, I am still stuck on windows 1903. Worse than that, I had saved a tool to upgrade from 1903 to 1909 and used it on my older 32 bit system.  Unfortunately, when I try running it on my newer system, I get an error and it recommends I use the latest upgrade package for windows 2004 May 10 2020 release. This is the tool that tells me I can't upgrade yet.  So what do I do?

On 7/5/2020 1:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 09:32 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
So what do I do?
-
Wait until Version 2004 is offered, or at least until another month goes by before trying to force update.  In the meantime if you have not been updated to the latest version of Windows 10 App Essentials just keep ignoring the "can't update" message for that.

I said somewhere else today, and I'll say it again here:  While I never recommend forcing a Feature Update during the early period of a roll out, if you are still on the version before the one just to be released very shortly before it is to be released then you should be force updating to the current version then.

Yours is a perfect example of that.  Version 1909 was around for quite a while before the formal release date for Version 2004 was announced, and your machine is still on 1903.  I don't know why that is and, to be perfectly honest, it really doesn't matter anyway.  Microsoft announced that 1909 was "good to go" for all Windows 10 users months ago (and I seem to recall Joseph posting a notice to that effect here at the time).  If you ever see a notice like that posted to this group then if you're not already on the version for which Microsoft has given the "good for all users" announcement then manually update your machine to it.

It prevents the sort of situation you're in right now, where certain software that's been keeping up with Windows 10 Feature Updates is compatible only with the most recent version or two versions.

While there's virtually never a good reason to force update from your current version to the next one in sequence when that next one is new, there's also virtually never a good reason not to force update if you haven't ended up on it via Windows Update many months later.  And remember, fully automatic updates are, and have been, a thing of the past for a while now.  Even Windows 10 Home users are only going to get feature updates via activating the Download and install now link for same when it is presented in the Windows Update pane in Update & Security Settings.  So keep watch for it.

The actual announcement was sent to Win10 forum, although I did hint at that a while back (if I’m reading the list archives correctly in the midst of working on multiple NVDA pull requests).

An important thing to remember: Version 1903 is also going out of support: December 8, 2020 is the last official cumulative update release date; beyond this date there is no “support”. The story is a bit complicated than that – November 2019 Update (Version 1909) is, as far as internals are concerned, Version 1903 with certain features turned on. Same will happen with Version 2004 and upcoming Version 20H2 (later this year).

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Richard Wells

Try using the media creation tool to do it. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

On 7/5/2020 8:32 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Hi Richard,

I downloaded the 1909 media creation tool and it wouldn't allow me to use it.  It recommended that I use the tool for 2004--the one that gives me the error about my PC settings being incompatible for 2004.

I think I will call the Microsoft Disability line later today.  Maybe one of those gurus can help.

On 7/6/2020 1:19 AM, Richard Wells wrote:

[...]

If the media creation tool keeps giving you that message, you can first try to see if there are any updates for your drivers and if there are, install the driver updates and try running the 2004 version of the media creation tool again.