Windows 11 system tray: use grouped icons

Ali Savas

Hello all,

I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all
icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and
only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Many greetings
Ali

Arlene

Seriously? Ali, that’s strange. I believe you about the system tray.  Is Microsoft seriously trying to be like Apple? Not sure about apple, I know people who use it. I’ll ask if it has a system tray like Windows.

Sent from Mail for Windows

I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all

icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and

only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Many greetings

Ali

Gene

The first thing I would want to know is where you read this. I have no opinion about whether it is correct, but I’m very careful about what sources I trust information from in cases like this.

I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all

icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and

only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Many greetings

Ali

Sky Mundell

Yes mac does have a system tray.

Seriously? Ali, that’s strange. I believe you about the system tray.  Is Microsoft seriously trying to be like Apple? Not sure about apple, I know people who use it. I’ll ask if it has a system tray like Windows.

Sent from Mail for Windows

I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all

icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and

only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Many greetings

Ali

Arlene

Oh, it does? You’d probably read it differently then windows. For example you can either do incert f 11 or windows B. I use windows b all the time. With NVDA you have to use windows B not insert f 11  With other screen readers such as Jaws and others you can use insert f 11.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Seriously? Ali, that’s strange. I believe you about the system tray.  Is Microsoft seriously trying to be like Apple? Not sure about apple, I know people who use it. I’ll ask if it has a system tray like Windows.

Sent from Mail for Windows

I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all

icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and

only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Many greetings

Ali

Ali Savas

Hi Gene,

I read it in a news portal very well known in our country and I trust this source.

Greetings
Ali

Am 05.10.2021 um 20:51 schrieb Gene:

The first thing I would want to know is where you read this. I have no opinion about whether it is correct, but I’m very careful about what sources I trust information from in cases like this.

I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all

icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and

only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Many greetings

Ali

Gene

It will be interesting to see what others say.

I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all

icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and

only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Many greetings

Ali

Gene

I should add that I read an article that discussed how to make Windows 11 more like Windows 10 in some ways.  I can’t discuss any of these options and I’m not advocating anything.  But those switching to Windows 11 may find the information useful.

I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all

icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and

only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Many greetings

Ali

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

I'm using win11 and here is the case with systray with both NVDA and
jaws 2022 beta

Using NVDA:
Windows B command works the same as it is with win10, maybe a little
less consistent using NVDA, like you need to re do the command to get
it working.
using NVDA and the systray add-on, almost not working it just
highlights a single icon, E.G dropbox, arrow keys or 1st letter no go.

Using jaws 2022:
windows B command works the same as it is with win10
insert plus F11 works the same as well.
so hopefully soon NVDA systray add-on developers would figure it just the same.
BTW the way to enable an app icon in the system tray with win11 is a
bit different from that in win10, not difficult but different.
TC

On 10/5/21, Ali Savas <ali-savas@gmx.de> wrote:
Hello all,

I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all
icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and
only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Many greetings
Ali

Ali Savas

Hi,

Grouped icons were not introduced with Windows 11. All icons are already
grouped in Windows 10 as well. However, you can set the taskbar settings
to always show all icons and set the grouping to "Never". With Windows
11, however, this should no longer be possible.

For this reason I ask if you can also access these grouped icons with NVDA.

Ali

Bob Jutzi

I've used Windows 11 with NVDA since the first insider.  Since I don't
have any sight best way I can describe the new system tray is it's now
split rather than Notifications, Network status, Volume, and clock all
grouped. Similar to Windows 10, beginning with the Start Button, you can
Tab to the following: Task View (displays current running apps), Task
Bar (where Mail, and Edge are located), the the usual System tray which
only has two icons: Notifications and Network accesswed using up or down
arrow.  From here Right Arrow gets you to Volume and Clock settings
previously grouped with Notifications and Network.  Hope this isn't too
confusing.
I've had much better luck with NVDA than JAWS but never tried the new beta.

On 10/5/2021 3:51 PM, Hareth wrote:
[...]

From a source I consider as reliable as they come:  Windows 11 is released: What you need to know and new features

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

No grouped icons option here but, you can enable each app icon in
the system tray using NVDA, by tab onetime then press
ALT plus enter
Then use the tab button until you get to
taskbar overflow grouping setting collapsed
press the spacebar on it, that would open a list of installed apps to
enable in the system tray individually.
TC

On 10/5/21, Ali Savas <ali-savas@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi,

Grouped icons were not introduced with Windows 11. All icons are already
grouped in Windows 10 as well. However, you can set the taskbar settings
to always show all icons and set the grouping to "Never". With Windows
11, however, this should no longer be possible.

For this reason I ask if you can also access these grouped icons with NVDA.

Ali

Yeah not only system tray, but context menus are not full either.

You are pushed for microsoft apps and default apps are not even supported without you mucking about all over the place.

Lets hope microsoft fixes this windows 11 vista replacement but I am happy I don't make the role out.

None of us in this house qualify for 11 though and no one else in the family has a 7700 hq cpu the minimal requirement.

Obviously my next system will not be necessarilly the latest system running 11, but I do have a copy of 10 and I can probably just have windows not install feature updates if its just that bad.

A lot of extra stuff is missing to.

I mean you can tweak it but we now need to run third party apps to restore basic functionality it seems like start 11 because microsoft broke more stuff.

Reviews from cnet and others also suggest  that there is more to dislike than to like.

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 04:55 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Reviews from cnet and others also suggest  that there is more to dislike than to like.
-
Because people dislike change, pure and simple, and they particularly dislike it in the computing world when, "What I've always done," changes.

I haven't touched Windows 11 yet, but every time something like this sort of change comes on the scene the early reviews tend to be either naysayers or cheerleaders, with very few, if any, in the "in between" zone.

Many of the complaints are about things Microsoft has already announced are to be rolled in to Windows 11 in the near future.  Others about the removal of "what I'm used to."

I'll be curious to see how actual end users react.  Windows 11 is not, at least in anything like the conventional sense, a major Windows release.  It's got way, way more in common with its immediate predecessor than is typical in a new Windows version.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Hmmm I could see where users would hate that, but on the other hand you can choose what you have enabled and running.

On 6/10/2021 9:31 am, Hareth wrote:
[...]

Oh, okay, it’s just the same as win ten.

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 10/5/21, Ali Savas <ali-savas@...> wrote:

> Hello all,

> I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all

> icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and

> only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

> Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

> Thanks in advance for your answer.

> Many greetings

> Ali

Chris Mullins

                Hi

Does ?Windows 11 have the Notification Chevron button like Windows 10?

If so, can it be activated to reveal the notification overflow area where all the icons that you don’t want to put in the visible system tray can be viewed?

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

I'm using win11 and here is the case with systray with both NVDA and

jaws 2022 beta

Using NVDA:

Windows B command works the same as it is with win10, maybe a little

less consistent using NVDA, like you need to re do the command to get

it working.

using NVDA and the systray add-on, almost not working it just

highlights a single icon, E.G dropbox, arrow keys or 1st letter no go.

Using jaws 2022:

windows B command works the same as it is with win10

insert plus F11 works the same as well.

so hopefully soon NVDA systray  add-on developers would figure it just the same.

BTW the way to enable an app icon in the system tray with win11 is a

bit different from that in win10, not difficult but different.

TC

On 10/5/21, Ali Savas <ali-savas@...> wrote:

> Hello all,

> I have read that with Windows 11 it is no longer possible to display all

> icons in the system tray. I guess the icons are only shown grouped and

> only expanded as soon as you move the mouse over them.

> Are the grouped icons still usable with NVDA?

> Thanks in advance for your answer.

> Many greetings

> Ali

Hareth <hareth4m@...>

Yes, and yes.

On 10/6/21, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Lisa P Geibel

Hello,

My husband and I installed Windows 11 yesterday on our HP computer. We're using the latest version of NVDA as we don't have the JAWS Beta installed since we don't like using Betas of things. My husband was able to figure out how to get the icons to show in the sys tray. Can anyone tell us how to check for updates with this 11 beast? If this is possible, please give detailed instructions on how to do it? Thanks.

Lisa P. Geibel
email:
lisapgeibel429@gmail.com
Twitter:
LisaLisa429
Facebook:
m.facebook.com/ldporter1
To check out our Telephone Voice Mail shows, please call
My Telespace 832-999-8261
or
Philmore 773-572-7897
Press option 1 for the Big Brother update line
press 2 to hear our wedding
press 3 to hear memorable messages from Lana
press 4 to hear Marcus's Fri. night Bible readings
press 5 to hear various Calvary Chapel Church services
press 6 to hear sermons from Endtime Ministries _ End of the Age _ Irvin Baxter Continued by _ Dave Robbins Doug Norville and Vince Stiegal
press 7 to hear sermons from Pastor Jon Courson
press 8 to hear sermons from Dr. Tony Evans
press 9 to hear various other sermons from Pastor Greg Laurie or various other Conservative shows
On Philmore, when pressing 1 you can also hear week day news reports from American Family Radio.
Both systems have archives, so you can go between previous sermons or shows if you like and with each service, you can leave a message for us. We'd love to hear from you!
May YHWH bless you all