Windows App Essentials (formerly Windows 10 App Essentials) 21.06.1 released #addonrelease

Hi all,

Windows App Essentials (formerly Windows 10 App Essentials) 21.06.1 is now available (not available through Add-on Updater yet):

https://github.com/josephsl/wintenApps/releases/download/21.06.1/wintenApps-21.06.1.nvda-addon

This version is in response to a potential scenario where users might install stable version of the add-on on Windows 11 (Insider Preview); Windows 11 support is experimental at this time. If this applies to you, a warning will be shown, reminding you that Windows 11 features can change without notice prior to general availability. If the add-on does get installed, NVDA will recognize Windows 11 and record this fact every time it starts. My recommendation is that you don’t install stable version of Windows App Essentials add-on until I tell you to.

Also, this is the last add-on release to support Windows 10 2004 (May 2020 Update), and don’t worry if the add-on still reports itself as “Windows 10 App Essentials”.

Cheers,

Joseph

Louise Pfau

Hi.  If we have the original Windows 10 app essentials, will that still be ok?  I know you indicated that the new one isn’t in add-on updater yet.

Thanks,

Louise

Hi,

Yes, you are fine. Windows 10 App Essentials and Windows App Essentials are really the same add-on - renamed to provide experimental support for upcoming Windows 11. Details on how the add-on will support Windows 11 will be sent in July.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi all,

And now, if you happen to be using Add-on Updater, check for add-on updates. one of the many updates today is Windows App Essentials 21.06.1.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: support for Windows 11 via Windows App Essentials is EXPERIMENTAL. If you attempt to install Windows App Essentials 21.06.1 on Windows 11 (build 22000 preview), you will see a warning message about this. Also, Windows App Essentials 21.06.1 is the last version compatible with Windows 10 2004 9May 2020 Update).

Cheers,

Joseph