Topics

Windows Explorer

Pele West

Hi Everyone

I am using Windows 7 and the latest version of NVDA.

Is there a way to get NVDA to display more information about files and
folders in Windows Explorer? In Window-Eyes I have set it to display the
Length, Date Modified and Size but cannot see a way to amend NVDA to do
this.

Thanks

pele West

André

You can get different information about items in file explorer quiet
easily when you use the view option 'details'. For this, type 'Alt' + '
'V' to get to the view menu, and then 'd' to select the view mode 'details'.

When you are in this mode, then you can easily move between different
information (file name, last date of modification, file type, file size,
etc.) with the right and left arrow keys. Actually, you can think of
this view mode as a table, wh    ere every row stands for one item, and
every type of information for one column. So you use up and down arrows
to move between items, and left and right arrows to move between types
of information.

Cheers, Martin

--
Martin Wiemer

Grabensprung 185
12683 Berlin
Germany

Tel.: +49 178 715 66 76

Gene

When you are on a filename, try right arrowing a number of times and see if you can hear the information as you move.  I am not aware of any way to have that information automatically announced with NVDA.  If you don't hear it announced, we can try changing a view setting to details in Windows Explorer.

I am using Windows 7 and the latest version of NVDA.

Is there a way to get NVDA to display more information about files and
folders in Windows Explorer? In Window-Eyes I have set it to display the
Length, Date Modified and Size but cannot see a way to amend NVDA to do
this.

Thanks

pele West

Pele West

Hi Gene and Martin

thanks. I know about the View Details, but I was hoping I could get the
information to show across the Braille Display. Never mind.

Pele

George McCoy

Try this:

press nvda key plus p for preferences.

You will be on the settings option.  Press enter.

You will be in a list of options.

Press o for object presentation.

Tab once to show tool tips and press spacebar to check it.

Press enter or shift tab to the ok button and click it.

Hth,

George

On 2/6/2020 3:56 AM, Pele West wrote:
Hi Everyone

I am using Windows 7 and the latest version of NVDA.

Is there a way to get NVDA to display more information about files and
folders in Windows Explorer? In Window-Eyes I have set it to display the
Length, Date Modified and Size but cannot see a way to amend NVDA to do
this.

Thanks

pele West

Pele West

Hi George

Thanks. However I already have Report Tool Tips ticked.

Pele

David Griffith

Dear Pele

This is slightly odd as, unless I am misunderstanding you, I can get this information from NVDA easily in 2 ways.
Firstly as George say - turn on tool tips and the properties of each file are read for me automatically as I move to each file.
To do this I think however you need to be in detailed view in Windows Explorer- I have not checked other views but it certainly works in detailed view.

The second method, if I don't want tools tip turned on all the time is to use the right arrow key to read each field of the detailed view as it moves across the file properties.

Is this not what is happening for you?
This is on Windows 10 19.9 with NVDA 19.3 RC3

David Griffith

.