Topics

windows feature update 20h2

Don H

Just installed the latest feature update to Windows 10.  Took less than 10 minutes to install.  I was offered it as a optional update.

Just noticed its come out, not yet for my laptop, but I will wait for it.

What have users found with it so far.

On 21/10/2020 7:16 am, Don H wrote:
Just installed the latest feature update to Windows 10.  Took less than 10 minutes to install.  I was offered it as a optional update.

Don H

See no difference after installing the feature update.

On 10/20/2020 1:28 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Just noticed its come out, not yet for my laptop, but I will wait for it.

What have users found with it so far.

On 21/10/2020 7:16 am, Don H wrote:
Just installed the latest feature update to Windows 10.  Took less than 10 minutes to install.  I was offered it as a optional update.

Steve Matzura

If you're referring to build # 572, I don't know what the new features are, bas I've seen no change in behavior or programs since I installed it on three systems.

On 10/20/2020 2:28 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Just noticed its come out, not yet for my laptop, but I will wait for it.

What have users found with it so far.

On 21/10/2020 7:16 am, Don H wrote:
Just installed the latest feature update to Windows 10.  Took less than 10 minutes to install.  I was offered it as a optional update.

Hi,
NO, it's a feature update - build 19042.572. To check if you've got Version 20H2, open Action Center and see if "tablet mode" is present on desktop systems - if it isn't, then you have 20H2 unless tablet mode is unpinned.
Cheers,
Joseph

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 02:59 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
NO, it's a feature update - build 19042.572.
-
Joseph, just so you know, I have 19041.572, and winver still shows Version 2004.  I think 19042 is fast ring, but don't they generally keep the dot numbers the same?

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Hi,

No, 19042 just graduated to stable build status. Although the build numbers are different, 2004 and 20H2 share same system internals – there are hidden flags that the enablement package for 20H2 will simply modify, which is essentially the same mechanism as 2019 feature updates.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 02:59 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

NO, it's a feature update - build 19042.572.

-
Joseph, just so you know, I have 19041.572, and winver still shows Version 2004.  I think 19042 is fast ring, but don't they generally keep the dot numbers the same?

     ~ Kelley Boorn

OK, but that still doesn't explain to me why Build 19041.572 shows Version 2004 if it is indeed a feature update.  No earlier feature updates, including the ones that were "trivial" feature updates, have left the version number the same.  I expect I will see Version 20H2 once the feature update is applied.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Well interestingly the update has appeared on my 4th gen workstation which has to be at least5 years old now but not on my amd laptop.

And yet, it does appear bar java and the display drivers which are updated nothing should be stopping it.

On my workstation, the update took 5 minutes to load and all I did was change the alt tab behaviour so it opens everything normally excluding edge tabs in the alt tab list because I like it like that.

Nothing was changed, in fact the only thing that has changed is the 20h2 tag, even the build is the same.

Nothing seems to be effecting things so far and nothing major needed to be updated.

In fact bar a few app updates I hardly noticed the update curve.

On 21/10/2020 7:59 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
NO, it's a feature update - build 19042.572. To check if you've got Version 20H2, open Action Center and see if "tablet mode" is present on desktop systems - if it isn't, then you have 20H2 unless tablet mode is unpinned.
Cheers,
Joseph

If you're referring to build # 572, I don't know what the new features are, bas I've seen no change in behavior or programs since I installed it on three systems.

On 10/20/2020 2:28 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Just noticed its come out, not yet for my laptop, but I will wait for it.

What have users found with it so far.

On 21/10/2020 7:16 am, Don H wrote:
Just installed the latest feature update to Windows 10. Took less
than 10 minutes to install. I was offered it as a optional update.

.

Hi,

Right. At least that’s as far as users need to know. Internally, 20H2 features are in a dormant state.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 03:25 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Right. At least that’s as far as users need to know. Internally, 20H2 features are in a dormant state.
-
Then it's a staging update, but not the true Feature Update.  I have gone through the staging updates in the past, but until and unless the Windows 10 Version and Build numbers actually change, it's not a Feature Update in any meaningful sense of the word.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Raha Tehrani

Hi.
I've just updated to the latest version. "20H2" I've just discovered a
problem with the latest version of NVDA. as you do an alt+enter on
This PC, you won't be able to see the same system properties you could
previously see. instead, there will be settings which is not mainly
supported by NVDA. you can't read the information shown via NVDA. as I
switched to JAWS, it did much better. JAWS nearly read most
information existed there. but NVDA kept quiet. object navigation
didn't do the trick either.
Take care.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 03:25 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Right. At least that’s as far as users need to know. Internally, 20H2
features are in a dormant state.
-
Then it's a staging update, but not the true Feature Update.  I have gone
through the staging updates in the past, but until and unless the Windows 10
Version and Build numbers actually change, it's not a Feature Update in any
meaningful sense of the word.

~ Kelley Boorn

Sky Mundell

That’s very strange that NVDA won't read the information

[...]

But perhaps that could be fixed?

[...]

I really wish that people would not cross-post/multi-post the same exact question/issue to multiple groups at the same time.  It's actually considered bad manners, as it makes a lot of people who would otherwise not have to expend effort do so when the thing is already answered elsewhere.

https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/48136  in response to an exact duplicate of Raha Tehrani's message here.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

tim

Got the same on my I5 4th gen.
My I5 8th gen still running 20.04 and both have same build numbers

On 10/20/2020 3:24 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
[...]

Hmph, wander why that is.

Interestingly, there is the move to shove everything in settings.

Right now that means I can't access the classic system properties directly unless I try to search for something else like  system restore which still has it.

Wish there was a way to continue accessing the classic panels as well as the advanced ones as I like the interface and can get to things faster.

Wander if there will be some sort of classic control panel to access.

On 21/10/2020 3:49 pm, tim wrote:
[...]

enes sarıbaş

This is wierd. On my toshiba satallite L50A, the update is completely hidden, as if it never existed. Its a forth gen i5. Until now, I was always the first cohort to get an update since ms introduced install via check for updates.

On 10/20/2020 9:49 PM, tim wrote:
[...]

          Actually it's not really weird at all, but an evolution in the workings of Windows Update.  Fully automatic updates without user intervention are now a thing of the past unless someone keeps a version on their machine that is actually going out of support.  Windows Update itself interrogates the actual computer it's on to determine the hardware profile, and depending on that hardware profile, it will or will not be added to an update cohort where a Feature Update is offered for the user to Download and install.  There have even been instances where a Feature Update has been offered, but the offer not taken up by the end user, and it gets retracted for a time because some "late breaking problem" has been identified that was not known for that hardware profile previously.

            Check for Updates as a way to force update has been eliminated, too.  The only two ways I know of to force update are using the Update Assistant or the Win10 ISO file to do a feature update, neither of which is a good idea in the early days of any Feature Update release.

             As has been said on many occasions, by many other than myself, best practice with regard to Feature Updates is to do an occasional check of the Windows Update pane to see if it's been offered.  Then, and only then, and preferably after having done a full system image update, should the Download and install link be activated to apply the Feature Update.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Well I thought I'd have to do what I did to mine but the update just
showed on my second hp system an intel i5 7200 so I guess its still
going about.