Windows magnifier add on for nvda

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi guys

I have been asked about this add on for nvda.

The question is which operating system will it work on windows 8 or 10? I was also wondering if the add on works quite well why is it not in the stable main page is it still been worked on?

Has any one else used it? and does it work good on there machine? I have not got enough sight to see the screen but it is for a person with low vision.

Gene nz

hurrikennyandopo ...

I forgot to add in the link to the page where the add on is at present it can be found at https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/windowsMagnifier.en.html <https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/windowsMagnifier.en.html>

Gene nz

On 16/04/2021 11:09 am, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Hi guys

I have been asked about this add on for nvda.

The question is which operating system will it work on windows 8 or 10? I was also wondering if the add on works quite well why is it not in the stable main page is it still been worked on?

Has any one else used it? and does it work good on there machine? I have not got enough sight to see the screen but it is for a person with low vision.

Gene nz

Sascha Cowley

I have used this add-on. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend it, as it makes both NVDA and Windows Magnifier rather sluggish on both the machines I tested it on. Both were running Windows 10, but I imagine the add-on would work on Windows 8, and possibly even 7 (I believe the base Magnifier infrastructure hasn't changed since then, though I am not certain).

Also, note that it's not listed as being compatible with NVDA 2020.4. While it did work when I just installed it to make sure I had the same experience as previously, during installation, NVDA informed me that the add-on failed to install and I had to restart NVDA to get the installation progress dialog to go away. Upon restarting, the add-on had installed, though I'm not sure if this issue had any effect on the performance of the add-on, NVDA, or Windows Magnifier.

I may take a look at the source code of the add-on at some point to see if I am able to improve it, as it is something I would find useful as well.