Topics

Windows mail not responding to keyboard

John J. Boyer

Hello,

The first few times I tried Windows 10 Mail it looked promising. Now it displays a mesage and then won't respond to the keyboard, not to alt, escape F1, etc.

John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
Status: Company dissolved but website and email addresses live.
Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM services
that are available at no cost

Chris Mullins

Hi

I use it every day without too many problems.  Make sure you have the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on installed to help with access.

Cheers

Chris the             

Sent: 18 November 2020 13:00
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Windows mail not responding to keyboard

H

John,

If I may ask, what email client are you transitioning away from?

I ask only because if you are used to what I call a full-service email client then it is unlikely that you will find the Windows 10 Mail App satisfactory.  If your emailing needs are very, very simple it's fine, but if you were used to Outlook or Thunderbird and used a number of the more advanced features or liked to do things like rearrange columns to display in an order you prefer, you won't have those options with the Win10 Mail App.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind.

~ Thomas Reed Powell

John J. Boyer

My email needs are probably simple. I do want to be able to press enter on a link and have a browser open it.

John

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 09:34:22AM -0800, Brian Vogel wrote:
John,

If I may ask, what email client are you transitioning away from?

I ask only because if you are used to what I call a full-service email client then it is unlikely that you will find the Windows 10 Mail App satisfactory.  If your emailing needs are very, very simple it's fine, but if you were used to Outlook or Thunderbird and used a number of the more advanced features or liked to do things like rearrange columns to display in an order you prefer, you won't have those options with the Win10 Mail App.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

*If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind.*

~ Thomas Reed Powell

--
John J. Boyer

John,

Knowing the message you're getting when everything halts in its tracks is going to be key to finding a solution.
--

If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind.

~ Thomas Reed Powell

Hi all,

For John: can you tell me what NVDA tells you (through braille) when you press Control+NVDA+F1 while a message is open in Mail app? If it says “commsapps.exe”, then the solution is using Windows 10 App Essentials add-on until the bug fix shows up to everyone (currently the bug fix in question is part of alpha builds).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows mail not responding to keyboard

John,

Knowing the message you're getting when everything halts in its tracks is going to be key to finding a solution.
--

~ Thomas Reed Powell

John J. Boyer

Hello Everyone,

When I start Windows Mail it says "nothing has arrived yet." when I press NVDA+ctl+F1 it says "Commsapp module is loaded." Then it won't do anything. I know that there are messages waiting.

I'm trying to get Windows App Essenrtials installed.

Thanks,
John

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 10:16:44AM -0800, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi all,

For John: can you tell me what NVDA tells you (through braille) when you press Control+NVDA+F1 while a message is open in Mail app? If it says “commsapps.exe”, then the solution is using Windows 10 App Essentials add-on until the bug fix shows up to everyone (currently the bug fix in question is part of alpha builds).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 10:14 AM

John,

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

~ Thomas Reed Powell

--
John J. Boyer

Chris Mullins

Hi John

Firstly, did you check if the Windows 10 App Essentials add-on is installed?  If not, install it, it will help.

Secondly, check you have a link between the Mail app and your email provider, use the Manage Accounts function of the Mail app to check the link is there and the settings associated with it.  It will tell you if the connection is not working and if it is working, you can specify how often messages are retrieved from your email provider.

If you are unfamiliar with any of the above, let me know and I will write instructions.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 19 November 2020 08:52

H