Topics

Word "Clickable" - Number of repetitions and what causes it?

The following is a question that only the NVDA developers who handle this can answer, but this is as good a place as any to make the inquiry.

Even as a sighted user I find it confusing when I land on something that gets announced as "Clickable, clickable, clickable" when it either is clickable, but all one would have to do is click once, or when it's not clickable at all.  I am also wondering why the phrase "clickable link" gets used for some links while other links don't get the "clickable" designation, and I'm not talking about something that's stippled out.  There seems to be little rhyme or reason to how/when the designation "clickable" gets used and how many times.

As to the multi-clickable announcement, I'll give an example for an object that is not clickable at all for a sighted user.  When I go to the Gmail Settings, General Tab, I eventually can tab myself to the first part of the settings, which is Language.  I will sometimes (and I just now could not replicate even landing there) land on what looks like the label for this group of settings.  It will generally announce "clickable" three times, but there's nothing there that a sighted mouse user can click, and there's no hint as to what might be clickable there.

There are too many buttons and links to mention as I navigate through this page some of which say "clickable" when you land on them and others that do not.  There's got to be a rhyme and reason here, but I cannot easily fathom what it is.  I also think that saying "clickable link" is redundant and, if you have that rare instance where a given link is blocked, it would make more sense to announce that state of oddity than to ever announce that a link that can be clicked is "clickable."

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

I think the different Google pages are really strange with a screenreader, so NVDA repeating clickable as it does has never really been all that surprising for me. I can't see well enough though to play with the mouse to actually tell if there were multiple items there to click, so your observation kind of explains things. I've often wondered on other pages, if it was announcing clickable at the beginning and end of the item, reason it would say it more than once, but I end up getting annoyed by it so end up turning off that announcement.

On 8/19/2016 2:36 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Lino Morales

I wish I knew this too Brian. One thing that annoys the crap out OF ME are frames. When their frames I hear out of i frame several times. Michael and James really need to correct this. All I want to hear is frame start or end frame.

On 8/19/2016 3:36 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

I haven't upgraded NVDA for quite sometime here though every so often I try a new version to test something.  Evidently, NVDA still says clickable at times when the item isn't clickable.  I assume this is a design error.  It isn't just limited to Google.

[...]

Yes I think a link is what it says it is, ie it links to somewhere else.
Clickable is where the item has a function but it is not conveyed to the screenreader what that function is. Its obviously not a button combo box or whatever, so it defaults to clickable.
I am told, but cannot see that on some pages with multiple clickables a bar might be graphic and divided into segments of some kind but seemingly not able to be selected unless by the mouse itself.
I don't know if this is the case on your example as I've not tried it. If this is the case then this should surely fail the accessible rules unless some other way is given to get to whatever these items actually are, and since even nvda does not know what they are its hard to tell!

I have also seen sites with combo boxes that appear blank but seemingly cannot be activated unless some helpful sighted person uses the mouse, but they are still spoken as combo boxes by nvda. I guess we can never stop authoring errors and also the way some sites appear to work in one browser and not another.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

Often you get nested frames though and in those cases its a bit like closing brackets on maths content. Get the number wrong and your line of code won't work or stuff is done in the wrong order.
The issue for me is that there seems to be no way to know what an iframe is and which one its the end of. This gets even more confusing on some adverts where each time you access a page the ad will change and not always have an embedded Iframe. Even ad blockers seem to end up sometimes with start and ends of frames that appear empty, but are invisible to the sighted.

--
*/Brian/*

/*I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you **become
it's never enough to keep up.*/

* ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's **"Search for Signs of Intelligent
Life in the Universe"*

david.l.hoare@...

Could you please tell me how to turn off the function that makes it say 'clickable'?

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

1. Navigate to the NVDA menu NVDA+N
2. Down arrow to preferences, and press right arrow.
3. Down arrow to document settings, and press enter.
4. Tab through the dialog box. One of the options is report clickable.
5. Uncheck that box, and press enter.

As you continue to use NVDA, you can learn the hotkeys that will jump you to specific parts of the NVDA settings, thereby saving you a bit of time.

Thanks.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 12:45 AM <david.l.hoare@...> wrote:
Could you please tell me how to turn off the function that makes it say 'clickable'?

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

check under the document settings in nvda.

it is the last option i think. Just uncheck it.

gene nz