words with no spaces on this web page?

Sarah k Alawami

Hello. You can access this web page  to see what I’m talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no spaces, yet the sighted person sees words with spaces. I’ve been in touch with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who did this form and the site, and they suggested I use chrome, that failed, and brave failed. Here is an example of what I’m seeing.

ThankyouforyourinterestinparticipatinginFlightSimExpoonSeptember24-26,2021inSanDiego,California.

The form where the radio buttons read correctly.  The section reading “In-Person Registration - All Weekend ($70.00)” reads correctly as well, but what should I tell them about what’s going on. Narrator shows each word as a separate element by the way.

Take care.

hi.
i observed this issue several tines using nvda even when i open nvda website!
many times, closing and re-openning the website solves the problem for me.
i thought that how is it possible that nvda read some lines with any space?
but i did not know what to do with it and where to report it?
thanks so much for your great question!

Hello. You can access this web page <https://flightsimexpo.regfox.com/2021>
to see what I'm talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no
spaces, yet the sighted person sees words with spaces. I've been in touch
with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who
did this form and the site, and they suggested I use chrome, that failed,
and brave failed. Here is an example of what I'm seeing.

ThankyouforyourinterestinparticipatinginFlightSimExpoonSeptember24-26,2021in
SanDiego,California.

The form where the radio buttons read correctly. The section reading
"In-Person Registration - All Weekend ($70.00)" reads correctly as well,
but
what should I tell them about what's going on. Narrator shows each word as
separate element by the way.

Take care.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Sarah k Alawami

No, in this case it doesn't work. I've done this now like 5 times. Can anyone else look at the page and see what is up? I linked to it in theemessage.

Finally, you can support my work on happs, the network of now.

On 5/20/21, Sarah k Alawami marrie12@... wrote:

[...]

i opened the web that you provided.
i only recieve this!
Resend Confirmation

No, in this case it doesn't work. I've done this now like 5 times. Can
anyone else look at the page and see what is up? I linked to it in
theemessage.

[website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com)

Our [discord](http://tiny.cc/d-tffp) is where you will know when we go
live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum) Feel free to give the channel
a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit [my main lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum) and my [tffp lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@tffp) You will also be able to buy some of my
products and eBooks there.
Finally, you can support my work on [happs, the network of
now.](http://happs.tv/@ke7zum)

[...]

Gene

If you follow the resend confirmation link, you will see the page being discussed.  I’m saying this as a general comment to anyone.  Try things if they aren’t dangerous.  You may find the solution to problems or you may be able to do something you are attempting.

In this case, I thought I might see some sort of registration but the page came up.  Either way, I didn’t think following the link would be dangerous.

I saw the text with no spaces but if I turn off browse mode, select all and paste it to the clipboard and paste it into Notepad, the spaces are present.

Evidently, the site is using a nonstandard carachter for space which NVDA doesn’t recognize but which is recognized by the browser.

Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 11:14 PM
Subject: [nvda] words with no spaces on this web page?

Hello. You can access this web page  to see what I’m talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no spaces, yet the sighted person sees words with spaces. I’ve been in touch with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who did this form and the site, and they suggested I use chrome, that failed, and brave failed. Here is an example of what I’m seeing.

ThankyouforyourinterestinparticipatinginFlightSimExpoonSeptember24-26,2021inSanDiego,California.

The form where the radio buttons read correctly.  The section reading “In-Person Registration - All Weekend ($70.00)” reads correctly as well, but what should I tell them about what’s going on. Narrator shows each word as a separate element by the way.

Take care.

Gene

I just tried copying and pasting the text while in browse mode and there were no spaces.  I don’t know if this would be an accessibility problem.  If an incorrect carachter is being used, it may be but it may be that, whatever the case, NVDA should be made to recognize the carachter.  It may be used elsewhere.

Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 11:14 PM

Hello. You can access this web page  to see what I’m talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no spaces, yet the sighted person sees words with spaces. I’ve been in touch with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who did this form and the site, and they suggested I use chrome, that failed, and brave failed. Here is an example of what I’m seeing.

ThankyouforyourinterestinparticipatinginFlightSimExpoonSeptember24-26,2021inSanDiego,California.

The form where the radio buttons read correctly.  The section reading “In-Person Registration - All Weekend ($70.00)” reads correctly as well, but what should I tell them about what’s going on. Narrator shows each word as a separate element by the way.

Take care.

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

when checking html code, it goes like:
Thank<!-- --> <!-- -->you<!-- --> <!-- -->for<!-- --> <!-- -->your
and so on...
each word and each space seems separated by an empty html comment,
it seems that single spaces between two comments are at some point ignored.
testing with brave, replacing spaces by "&nbsp;" for instance, solves it.

-- Patrick

Le 20/05/2021 à 06:14, Sarah k Alawami a écrit :
Hello. You can access this web page <https://flightsimexpo.regfox.com/2021>  to see what I’m talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no spaces, yet the sighted person sees words with spaces. I’ve been in touch with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who did this form and the site, and they suggested I use chrome, that failed, and brave failed. Here is an example of what I’m seeing.
ThankyouforyourinterestinparticipatinginFlightSimExpoonSeptember24-26,2021inSanDiego,California. The form where the radio buttons read correctly.  The section reading “In-Person Registration - All Weekend ($70.00)” reads correctly as well, but what should I tell them about what’s going on. Narrator shows each word as a separate element by the way.
Take care.
_._,_._,_

i tested again by refreshing the page and recieved server not found.
then, refreshed again.
then, my firefox, my laptop and keyboard and nvda became completely unusable.
after sometimes i realized that firefox became unresponsive and could
not do anything except shutdown of my laptop by power button
forcefully!
i really wished to help! God bless you!

[...]

Chris

Firefox is your friend here, I dont know why chrome browsers are doing this but they do

Hello. You can access this web page  to see what I’m talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no spaces, yet the sighted person sees words with spaces. I’ve been in touch with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who did this form and the site, and they suggested I use chrome, that failed, and brave failed. Here is an example of what I’m seeing.

ThankyouforyourinterestinparticipatinginFlightSimExpoonSeptember24-26,2021inSanDiego,California.

The form where the radio buttons read correctly.  The section reading “In-Person Registration - All Weekend ($70.00)” reads correctly as well, but what should I tell them about what’s going on. Narrator shows each word as a separate element by the way.

Take care.

Gene

I didn’t say to refresh the page.  The resend authorization is a link.  Press enter.  It is asking, for something to be sent.  I didn’t think pressing enter on the link would be likely to solve the problem.  it did and a cookie was placed on my machine so I can return to the site and not receive the resend authorization link again.  The page opens.

My point is a general one and I’m using this situation as an illustration.  There are times when people know something is safe and may solve a problem but they don’t try it because they are afraid anyway.  If people really don’t know if something is safe, I’m not saying they should try it.  But I think it happens enough to comment on that people are afraid when they know something is safe and they don’t try something.  It builds confidence to do what you know is alright to do and see that it causes no problems.

Gene

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Luke Davis

Sarah

In Firefox, the text on this page appears fine, whether clicking the "resend invitation" link as others did, or not.
(I'm not sure why others thought they needed to click that? arrowing down clearly shows the rest of the page to a screen reader.)

In Brave, however, I find exactly the behavior you describe, which makes this either (1) a problem in Chromium based browsers; (2) a problem in this page's CSS for Chromium based browsers (unlikely); or else (3) a problem with NVDA's virtual buffer code for Chromium browsers.

Viewing source in Brave reveals that text formatted with spaces, yes, but also with HTML commented out spaces, as well.
Here is what it looks like:

Thank<!-- --> <!-- -->you<!-- --> <!-- -->for<!-- --> <!-- -->your<!-- --> <!-- -->interest<!-- --> <!-- -->in<!-- --> <!-- -->participating<!-- --> <!-- -->in

I have no Godly idea why anyone would do that in an HTML document; it can't serve any external formatting purpose. It may do something for whatever writes their code, but you could ask them to cut it out.

I still don't know why this fools NVDA into thinking there are no spaces at all, because there clearly are. I suspect the comments are confusing a parser somewhere along the line.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Hello. You can access this web page  to see what I’m talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no spaces, yet the sighted person sees words
with spaces. I’ve been in touch with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who did this form and the site, and they suggested I
use chrome, that failed, and brave failed. Here is an example of what I’m seeing.

Jacob Kruger

The markup of the page is a bit strange, but, there should be spaces rendering between words, although these spaces are sort of surrounded by empty comment elements:

Thank<!-- --> <!-- -->you<!-- --> <!-- -->for<!-- --> <!-- -->your<!-- --> <!-- -->interest<!-- --> <!-- -->

As in, the web page designers are not what I would refer to as professional, or efficient/effective,but, bit strange that NVDA is then ignoring the spaces inbetween the empty comment elements, but, that might be why?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-05-20 06:38 AM, zahra wrote:
hi.
[...]

I saw a message from a list member saying that the site reads correctly with Firefox.  I just checked and I can confirm that.

Also, Firefox doesn’t stop at the Resend Authorization link.  it displays it at the top of the page but loads the page.

Since the spaces problem occurs with Chrome-based browsers and screen-readers, is this something the site needs to deal with, NVDA needs to deal with, or Chrome?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

Also, for some reason, when I used Chrome, the full page loaded even though the resend confirmation link is displayed at the top.  When I tried the page with Brave for the first time, nothing happened after the link loaded until I followed it.  I don’t know what others will experience.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Sarah k Alawami

Actually, when I copied the example, I was in browse mode. So it copied straight from the website to the email.

Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 11:14 PM

Hello. You can access this web page  to see what I’m talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no spaces, yet the sighted person sees words with spaces. I’ve been in touch with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who did this form and the site, and they suggested I use chrome, that failed, and brave failed. Here is an example of what I’m seeing.

ThankyouforyourinterestinparticipatinginFlightSimExpoonSeptember24-26,2021inSanDiego,California.

The form where the radio buttons read correctly.  The section reading “In-Person Registration - All Weekend ($70.00)” reads correctly as well, but what should I tell them about what’s going on. Narrator shows each word as a separate element by the way.

Take care.

Sarah k Alawami

To a sighted person, spaces do appear. I will probably email them and ask them to take the empty elements out and replace them with spaces. We will see what happens. I’m not sure why Firefox is rendering it correctly. But there you go. Could be something to do with electron?g

In Firefox, the text on this page appears fine, whether clicking the
"resend invitation" link as others did, or not.
(I'm not sure why others thought they needed to click that? arrowing
down clearly shows the rest of the page to a screen reader.)

In Brave, however, I find exactly the behavior you describe, which makes
this either (1) a problem in Chromium based browsers; (2) a problem in
this page's CSS for Chromium based browsers (unlikely); or else (3) a
problem with NVDA's virtual buffer code for Chromium browsers.

Viewing source in Brave reveals that text formatted with spaces, yes, but
also with HTML commented out spaces, as well.
Here is what it looks like:

Thank<!-- --> <!-- -->you<!-- --> <!-- -->for<!-- --> <!-- -->your<!-- -->
<!-- -->interest<!-- --> <!-- -->in<!-- --> <!-- -->participating<!-- -->
<!-- -->in

Alawami wrote:

> Hello. You can access this web page  to see what Iʼm talking about. When I explore the page, I get words with no spaces, yet the sighted person sees words
> with spaces. Iʼve been in touch with the expo guys, and they have been in touch with their developers who did this form and the site, and they suggested I
> use chrome, that failed, and brave failed. Here is an example of what Iʼm seeing.

Sarah k Alawami

I had no issues loading this in brave  at all. So maybe it’s your browser that’s broken. Except of course with the no spaces issue.

--

Jacob Kruger wrote:

As in, the web page designers are not what I would refer to as professional, or efficient/effective,but, bit strange that NVDA is then ignoring the spaces
inbetween the empty comment elements, but, that might be why?
Quite right. I think this example may get closer to what's happening. If you paste this into a Chromium browser's address bar as one line:

data:text/html,<p>This<!-- --> <!-- -->is<!-- --> a <!-- --> <!--
-->test.</p>

Then press enter, you will see only the first two words are joined with no space.
Those are the only two that are formatted exactly like the original site.
The rest all either have an extra space in between, or have no second comment.

In HTML, multiple spaces are collapsed to a single space in the presentation layer.

Also, comments are silently ignored, because they have no displayable element.

I suspect what's happening here, is something is seeing the comment.
It starts a new processing run.
It sees the space.
It's still looking, because so far it found one definitely ignored thing, and one optionally ignorable thing.
Then it finds another comment.
Now what's a poor algo to do? It has now found another definitely ignored thing, with an ignorable thing cached.
So it drops them both and starts over.
Whereas when it gets to the space followed by another space, it knows at least one of them has to be presented, so it presents before starting the next cycle.
Same when it reaches the word that isn't a comment.

That's a humanification of what's probably happening, and I suspect it's going to take the guys who work with the C code to deal with this.

Luke

Luke Davis

Sarah k Alawami wrote:

To a sighted person, spaces do appear. I will probably email them and ask them to take the empty elements out and replace them with spaces. We will see what
They don't need to replace them with anything. The spaces they need are already there.
Their just being damaged by having empty comments on either side of them.

They should remove all cases of:

<!-- -->

They do that, and this problem goes away.

Luke

Patrick Le Baudour

Another possibility is that while parsing, it create implicit elements isolating stuff between two comment tags. With a display style inline-block, lone spaces are discarded but other elements margin and padding are enough to look like spaces on display.
If so, it probably messes up copy-paste even for sighted readers, though, so it could be considered a brave bug, even if that code is really unexpected.

-- Patrick