Zoom app verbosity is too aggressive. Any way to adjust?

Luke Robinett

I have gone through all the zoom accessibility settings but it’s basically a case of on or off. My challenge is that zoom screen reader output seems to be tagged as alert, meaning it’s very pervasive and interrupts anything you are doing even when the app isn’t in focus. Is there a way to remedy this, perhaps with some third-party add-on. Should I place a feature request? To be clear, I appreciate that zoom is making such an effort to be accessible, but the way they’ve done it gets very overwhelming, at least for me. Thanks

benmoxey@...

Hi Luke

Give the Zoom add-on a shot from the below link. Make sure you read down the page, beyond the download link, to find the full description and shortcut keys.

NVDA Zoom Add-On

All the best.

Ben

On 28 Aug 2021, at 2:29 am, Luke Robinett <lukelistservs@...> wrote:

I have gone through all the zoom accessibility settings but it’s basically a case of on or off. My challenge is that zoom screen reader output seems to be tagged as alert, meaning it’s very pervasive and interrupts anything you are doing even when the app isn’t in focus. Is there a way to remedy this, perhaps with some third-party add-on. Should I place a feature request? To be clear, I appreciate that zoom is making such an effort to be accessible, but the way they’ve done it gets very overwhelming, at least for me. Thanks

Luke Robinett

Thank you, Ben! Not sure how I missed that. Much appreciated.

On Aug 27, 2021, at 1:21 PM, benmoxey@... wrote:

[...]

Update on this. I installed the Zoom Enhancements plugin and it doesn't address the specific challenge I'm experiencing. It seems to basically wrap keyboard shortcuts around the same accessibility settings already available in the Zoom app. My problem is that the alerts from Zoom are too agressive, meaning they are spoken even when Zoom doesn't have focus. They are clearly coded as ARIA alerts which should only be used for user-critical notifications, not routine screen reader feedback. Perhaps this is more a feature request I should place with Zoom, if that's even possible.
Additionally, the keyboard shortcuts for the app don't even work as stated on the add on page for it. Pressing shift + NVDA + A is supposed to cycle through the Zoom announcement modes but just speaks a capital "A" when I press it. The control + NVDA + number keys to toggle individual alerts don't work either. Nothing happens when I use these keyboard shortcuts. I've restarted NVDA and tried reloading plugins but no luck. I see the settings page for Zoom Enhancements in NVDA settings so I know the add on installed correctly.

Thanks
Luke

Luke Robinett

OK, oops. Turns out the issue with keyboard shortcuts was user error. Zoom or one of its meeting windows must have focus for those shortcuts to work. The first part of my previous message about the add on not addressing my original issue still stands, so I welcome any additional ideas on that piece. Thanks again folks.